Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'm going to dump a whole bunch of new player info since I'm now closing in on 12? hours in.

- Beserkers are probably the chillest faction to join initially. Lots of companions during quests, lots of pretty easy around town quests initially. You can also be rolling in health potions by being friendly with them.

- Be nice to Duras. It's extremely easy to get him as a companion, and he's SUPER USEFUL. Even if you don't plan on sticking with the Beserkers it's worthwhile to do his quest and take him along for some ruins exploration.

- On that note, companions can't die. They just take a knee.

- Dex/Ranged is probably the best early on. You get to start with a sneak attack basically every combat, and the mobility the jetpack offers makes it super easy. Once you unlock your first companion you can start taking on stuff far higher level then you. Don't ignore bows just because they aren't guns, they do fairly absurd damage, especially early on.

- Factions are a bit strange. Beserkers are melee weapons, potions ( slower but more powerful ), magic, and "old tech" ( aka bows and......shotguns. ). So the 12 gauge you can find early on actually is a'ok with the Beserkers. Clerics are laser weapons, drones, and "psy" attacks ( basically magic but more tricky based. ). Outlaws are old world weapons ( shotguns, rocket launchers, grenade launchers ), drugs ( basically buffs of all types ), and stims ( can use instantly but super weak ).

- If you really like the Beserker town, stay there and help out. Do the ruins nearby. Enjoy yourself. But if not I'd say leave it immediately and go head up north to Tavaar or Ignadon. One of the things this game does best is how it handles being a Fallout style game, letting you explore old towns/forts/whatever and seeing a ruined world. Which works really well in 75% of the map, but the starter area is a lush fantasy jungle with lush fantasy creatures. It's cool and I liked it, but it took a long time for it to click with me. Once I left and went to meet the Clerics was when the game suddenly started showing it's real promise to me. Don't burn out on the Beserkers if you don't like them, you don't need their quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Pylons posted:

Will Duras get pissed and leave if I join the Outlaws? Because that's what I want to do.

I don't think so. I had him with me when I talked to the Clerics about joining and he didn't seem to care. I didn't actually join ( enchant weapon works on guns I found out, and I found out Beserkers are also the shotgun faction. ), so maybe he would have, but ymmv.

I'd still grab him by virtue of how easy he is to get. His quest takes less then 30 minutes to complete. And if he does leave, by that point you'd have met the Outlaws and gotten their companions.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Stokes posted:

Where exactly is the shotgun you can get early on?

It's in the desert region, near the first group of Outlaws you meet. Just explore the ruins in that area.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Alright, just played for a while and got to that Berserker town. I'm still enjoying the game so far, but combat definitely feels janky to me. I kept having issues with my dude not swinging his weapon sometimes which seemed weird. I think it may have to do with the camera or not facing my target directly. Also may have something to do with locking onto a target which either happens automatically or I'm just fumbling around and hitting a button but I don't think so. It's getting late, I'll just have to mess around with it more later.

Yeah, I highly recommend giving the bow/Cleric weapons you find a try. Both feel a lot more manageable early on.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I wonder if there is a way to beat the game with no faction/maybe joining the Separatists.

I don't really like any of the factions right now. Maybe the Beserkers, but I prefer kinetic guns.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Are there like....."good" Outlaws? All these questgivers seem like dicks.

I'm super stuck.

I like what the Beserkers are doing, but the leadership is awful and too law driven.

The Clerics are little better then Albs in my book, and their weird worship/fanaticism doesn't help.

The Outlaws all seem like dicks and cannibals.

I'm kind of tempted to just do a no faction/Origin playthrough, but I'm not sure if that's actually possible or if I need to join a faction. Can you change the factions through your quests? Is it possible to have Cormag take over the Beserkers and lax up a few of the laws? Is there a good Outlaw out there that'll keep order without being a huge raging dick? Blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

That seems... ill thought out, since there's no way you can get all your stat points without basically swimming in elex drinks.

I mean the game outright said they'd increase cold, and it was supposed to be the way to be an Alb. It always confused me that they didn't, and I actively avoided them.

I'm also doing just fine attribute/skills wise. It makes sense only Albs would be able to have 100 in every attribute/stat.

• Locked thread