Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

drat, any chances of a price drop during an upcoming Steam sale? I've got almost $50 sitting in my Steam wallet (ty pubg crates) but I'm hesitant to drop full price on any game these days, even if everyone is telling me that this is a worthy follow-up to Gothic 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I caved today and yeah, people were right, the atmosphere and world building are fantastic. I'd love to know what goes on behind the scenes because almost all of the worlds Piranha Bytes makes - Khorinis, Myrtana, even the island from the first Risen IMO - have so much detail and are a joy to explore and discover all the different caves, secrets, shortcuts, and hidden paths. I've just been wandering around the Berserker town, completing quests to start off with, and already I'm learning the easiest ways to get around. I keep forgetting I have jetpack though. :v:

The combat is clunky, but it definitely has some shades of Gothic II going on with how the combo system works (clicking at the end of each swing animation). I'm excited to see where the story goes and who I get to betray/rob/kill on my path to the end.

Piranha's back baby

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My only disappointment right now is the soundtrack. I feel like I've been spoiled by Kai Rosenkranz's soundtracks in previous games - all three Gothic games had really underrated, awesome themes/motifs and the first Risen game had lots of moody acoustic themes - but this just feels, I don't know, bland? It's just kind of there in the background.

But holy poo poo the battle theme is loving maddening for some reason :stare: especially if you don't know who or what spotted you and it just plays endlessly until you're out of the area

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Risen 1 was extremely good imo, and felt like a true successor to Gothic 2, the design of the island and all of it's caves and poo poo had a Khorinis vibe and was a treat to explore

Gothic 3 had the awesome decision to cast Crispin Freeman as the Nameless Hero and he nails the lovable, kinda sarcastic dick vibe so well

I'm enjoying this game a lot but it's clear there could have been more polish and I keep forgetting about my jet pack. Also I feel like the compass isn't the most precise thing but apparently there is a skill that upgrades it usefulness?

Edit: and Elex really really is missing out on not having Kai Rosenkranz doing the soundtrack, the music for the Gothic games is loving fantastic and Risen 1's acoustic guitar sound is :discourse:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I enjoyed Risen 1 for feeling like Gothic 2.5, but Risen 2 was such a broken terrible mess I never got around to trying the third game

Elex is good though

• Locked thread