Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

That completely slipped my mind. That was probably it. But I still was getting irritated by what I assume is automatic lock on.

I was irritated by that as well, but you can disable it in the difficulty settings.

I was skeptical about the combat early on, but now I like it a lot. It is a throwback to the clunky, slow, inertia based combat of Gothic, compared to the sleeker Risen 3 system, but it is much more forgiving about combos than Gothic ever was.

The key thing is that you should only ever start attacking when your stamina is full, that way you can perform the special move without running out of steam before you get the prompt. Also increasing stamina seems to be more important than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phoix posted:

This ends up being a really weird thing because I've played a ton now and all of the best weapons I've found have just been laying in someones closet or at the bottom of a well. I've never actually had to fight an enemy to get a weapon which makes the weapons seem kind of useless.

That's the Gothic way.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BobbyBaudoin posted:

How's the game so far. I never really enjoyed gothic combat but enjoyed the faction and how the game tackled its story. Feels like the combat is better handled in this one (tho i don't expect anything amazing either)

Steam has mostly positive reviews but GoodOldGames folks seem to be loving it.

It has a surprising lot of quests and character interactions for a Piranha Bytes game. That is not to say their previous games were devoid of that sort of stuff, but they were certainly more shallow and linear.

The combat is quite good, it is simultaneously more forgiving than Gothic (you don't need to nail the timing to get combos), and more demanding (you can't kill poo poo without combos, which wasn't the case in Gothic). You also get permanent companions who aren't very good at dealing damage, but they are able to kite enemies while you hack at them, which makes combat less frustrating.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You get points of charisma for every skill point in the personality tree, the skill that says it gives you charisma gives you extra afaik, but it's not the only way to get your score up.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm incredulous about attributes not increasing stats on their own.

I'm still running around with a stupid little hatchet, and I find the enemies have been getting easier despite the only combat related change to the PC being my attribute numbers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there any more to combat than "it's a bad idea, don't do it." ?

Don't try to attack things as soon as you have enough stamina for a single attack. Let your stamina fully replenish, and attack from a position where you can land as many hits in a combo as your stamina allows. Then use the last bit of stamina to land a Q special attack. The special attack does exponentially more damage based on the number of chained regular attacks - sometimes enough that an enemy who took no perceptible damage at all from single attacks loses 1/3 of HP in a single Q attack.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, you can avoid using stamina on dodging, you can walk out of the path of some enemies' attacks, with others you can jetpack over them until you get some stamina back. Also yeah, heavy attacks seem pointless.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Clerics run the refugee camp for the outcasts and outlaws of all the other factions, but there may be Sinister MotivesTM behind their charity (I'm not far enough to know what comes out of it)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So I've finally graduated to one of the unique weapons, specifically the one that converts all damage to electricity, and :stare: I guess enemies' armor offers no protection from energy whatsoever

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Pro-tip: Don't let companions teleport you to encounters unless you are really sure of your abilities.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I haven't joined a faction yet, and I'm already lvl 18 w/o any grinding.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That seems... ill thought out, since there's no way you can get all your stat points without basically swimming in elex drinks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So if I'm not really liking the whole combo system thing, can i just go straight ranged and still be okay?

I have gone melee, and now I've found a special shotgun that I have no skills in, and it seems to be more powerful than my super expensive fully upgraded sword.

So I guess yes.

Though I also like the melee system, so I'm not going to switch. The ranged system is a rehashing of the musket interface from Risen 2-3, which was pretty bad, and only tolerable because it was easy to cheese combat sections of those games with it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MiddleOne posted:

Man everyone in the Domed (:lol:) City are doing their best at convincing me that they're all deserving of an early death.

I am sure the separatists are just looking for a place to stay. :suicide:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Cam somebody please post how the Caja quest is supposed to end? I think it is bugged in my game, I'm virtually done with the story and the flag to progress it has still not fired.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Meatwolfe posted:

It stopped for me after the second time she takes me to a world heart. Maybe the quest is tied to her approval or something.

Well, I got her to idolized, and then even finished her relationship quest... So I don't think that's it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Have you been to all the cities? I was around lvl 40 when I entered the final chapter, and most of that was from questing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that was a tough one. Are you in a faction? Are you still in chapter 1?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MiddleOne posted:

Oh my god and then the games figuratively drowns you in tens of thousands of XP as part of the converter assault quest. What in the actual gently caress, did no one playtest this game? :psyduck:

Why's that bad? It's a major story quest. The main issue I would have is that they let you do the insane boss fight with Nasty before proceeding along the main quest line.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh, you have to go through the Ulbricht Assault to get the Converter quests? I thought that was obtained independently from Separatists. In that case... yeah, that's suboptimal.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think so. Now that I think of it, I don't believe there ever was any Piranha game that allowed you to obtain non-faction late game armor.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Armor values are anything but meaningless, though?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MiddleOne posted:

Yes, you do get the choice between being wet tissue-paper and dry tissue-paper. Hugely important gameplay decision.

By the end of the game I was relatively tanky.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
To me it feels like Risen 1 with much more polish. The world has the usual PB feel and is as enjoyable to explore as any PB game. The combat is imho far superior to Risen, since I always thought the melee in that one was virtually impossible to use (it's the only game I can think of that takes input while the current animation is playing, and chains new animations to play after it, locking you into a long and ineffectual attack sequence if you press the attack button more than once). As for the story and characters... I guess that's individual preference. The Gothic games never were particularly deep, I think Elex is a step up, but I agree the Nameless Hero was better, just because of how earnest and chipper he was in comparison.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

the black husserl posted:

I'd say Risen is 10x better than this game. All of the good and (mostly) none of the bad.

The open world Witcher 3 thing just doesn't work for PB games.

I'd say it has the same world design philosophy as Gothic / Risen, but with jetpacks. The defining feature of old PB games was that the maps were very structured and constrained, making exploration more difficult, but also allowing a more satisfying placement of rewards. The same goes for Elex, imho, the only question is whether the jetpack allows you to circumvent the PB model to such an extent as to defeat it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sweeper posted:

so if I enjoyed elex, which other PB games should I play? Are all of them worth playing, which would you recommend first?

Gothic 2 is their best, but it's going to be antiquated on many fronts, also it's probably even more punishing on early levels than Elex. As for Risen 1, well, I always thought the combat system was terrible even for PB. In contrast I think Risen 3 is the best in that franchise, despite the criticism it gets. It looks reasonably pretty enough, has the smoothest combat experience, and the most solid gameplay in general. But it's a much more action adventure sort of game compared to Gothic or even Elex, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I actually replayed Risen 3 recently. It's good, imo. The combat is pretty much the same as Elex without stamina. The story is perfunctory at best, but still not as bad as the storytelling abortion that was R2. As far as I'm concerned, all PB games stand or fall on exploration, and R3 is quite good for that, so on the balance it's definitely worth picking on the cheap at least.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 27, 2018

• Locked thread