Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
After 15 hours trying to recapture the magic of Gothic 1&2, I'm giving up on this.

haldolium posted:

With the expansion of their game worlds, PB lost the control over authoring these worlds and make them as intense and immersive as they did in the first Gothic games. They already struggled there with G3, but since that one was never really a finished product and is just playable due to the CP I'm not so sure if they would've managed to make it. It still felt more directed as Elex. Risen went back to be rather tight and small in comparison, and now they think they got their tech in place without unwanted savegame destruction and can create a huge world, but apparently they can't.

And this is the crux of it for me. I like the approach of having static levels and the risk-reward of straying from the path, but I absolutely DO need an actual path. The Gothics, or New Vegas for example, had a pretty clear linear main quest(s) progression to follow, and they always managed to convey the information about where you should go, where you could maybe go, and where you couldn't. Here it's just trial and error of running in one direction until I smash my head into a wall, turning around and doing it again in another direction, on a map that is far too large for this kind of "exploration".

Edit: Final score: Excruciating.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread