Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Shouldn't we have a gameday thread by now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Remember when Squid totally Beav'd it?

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

HAHAHAH OREGON STATE IS THE WORST

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
ya beav'd it

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

He tried to call a TO too :(

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DrunkPanda posted:

What's with that chainsaw sound effect constantly playing?

A chainsaw sound effect. For Beavers.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

This game is less good now.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I like that stanford is just going with the same fade, its great. keep doing it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:flag: :flag:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

I like that stanford is just going with the same fade, its great. keep doing it.

Holy poo poo they did

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

still coulda been PI if you were picky

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why dont coaches have buzzers like jeapordy to call timeouts

There's a problem several times a year with a coach being ignored by refs when he wants a TO

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Why dont coaches have buzzers like jeapordy to call timeouts

There's a problem several times a year with a coach being ignored by refs when he wants a TO

Part of the game. What if a buzzer gets bumped?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

How does that clock operator let 2 seconds run off on the spike?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Kid showed some moxie on that 52 yarder. Let him try the 60 yarder!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dango Bango posted:

Pac refs?

Darn, beavs almost squeaked out the upset :(

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Kid showed some moxie on that 52 yarder. Let him try the 60 yarder!

Especially since their QB didn't have the arm for a hail Mary :(

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Clock operators are provided by the home team and just do whatever they want don't they?

Vaguely remembering Auburn getting screwed by a clock guy at Georgia in like 94?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Clock operators are provided by the home team and just do whatever they want don't they?

Vaguely remembering Auburn getting screwed by a clock guy at Georgia in like 94?

we ruined that for everyone and it is no longer like that

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Tennessee screwed UF in like 04 I think and stopped the clock a bunch of time to let them kick a game winning FG.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Covered a high school game last week where a field goal only took two seconds off the clock, according to the home team that now trailed by three points. An 18-yarder, but quite obvious when there were just four seconds left to begin with.

This Auburn game? It's from 1992 and at Auburn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ASzyJS3ezU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I'm not sure how college does it but I think home cooking the clocks is a long dead urban legend. I know in Virginia high schools at least newbie refs run the clocks, I would assume there's some non-biased entity at these games doing it.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Michigan_vs._Michigan_State_football_game

quote:

To prevent the controversy caused by this game and others, the Big Ten changed its timekeeping policy for the 2002 season, having previously studied changing the policy prior to the Michigan–Michigan State game.[14] Previously, the home team appointed an individual of their choosing to keep the official time in the pressbox.[17] Now, time is kept on the field by a neutral official appointed by the Big Ten.[17]

Guess it isn't NCAA wide, but only the Big Ten.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It means that none of the teams that are ranked have played each other or anyone else that’s worth a drat.

While the best teams haven’t played each other yet I think this is kind of stupid. Michigan State and Penn State knocked Michigan out of the polls themselves. Would the Big Ten be stronger if Michigan had won one of those games?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

While the best teams haven’t played each other yet I think this is kind of stupid. Michigan State and Penn State knocked Michigan out of the polls themselves. Would the Big Ten be stronger if Michigan had won one of those games?

Well to the original post I guess Ohio State did play Oklahoma, they just lost.

The complaint seems to be about the OOC schedule, so what were the big OOC matchups for the Big 10? I honestly have no idea. Other than OU/tOSU.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

The complaint seems to be about the OOC schedule, so what were the big OOC matchups for the Big 10? I honestly have no idea. Other than OU/tOSU.

The one that ripped MSU in half and shat on the pieces. If they beat NC State, Notre Dame will be the best loss MSU has ever had.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Michigan-Florida lol. Wisconsin played creampuffs. MSU got destroyed by Notre Dame. Penn State’s biggest was a terrible Pitt team.

Rutgers did ok against a playoff team!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Rutgers did ok against a playoff team!

And lost to Eastern Michigan

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Dango Bango posted:

That's the rule and the philosophy. A spike must be completed with at least 3 second remaining on the clock or the clock operator is directed to run the clock down. Basically you need at least 3 to ensure that we can have 1 or 2 on the clock left for 1 more play. Under 3 seconds it's just not enough time to split hairs about between taking the snap, it hitting the ground and the officials signaling.

FR48 Rule 3-2-5 & AR 3-2-5-1 (In the AR even at 3 seconds there is no guarantee of time remaining and it must be done in a timely manner).

Coaches should/need to know this and if you get a clock stoppage at 2 seconds you just gotta have a play aka gently caress it go deep or a timeout remaining.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 27, 2017

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

You can pretty much thank this play for the two second spike rule:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anf11ecsRrI&t=8285s

There's no sense in letting the game come down to the clock operator (though you could just as easily argue that the clock operator has the choice of stopping the clock at 2 or 3 seconds on the preceding play :v:).

edit: here is the other game that probably had something to do with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo-wFI-aCZ4

wa27 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 27, 2017

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

wa27 posted:

You can pretty much thank this play for the two second spike rule:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anf11ecsRrI&t=8285s

There's no sense in letting the game come down to the clock operator (though you could just as easily argue that the clock operator has the choice of stopping the clock at 2 or 3 seconds on the preceding play :v:).

edit: here is the other game that probably had something to do with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo-wFI-aCZ4

First one yeah maybe. Second example is actually how we got a revision to the 10 second run off rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0rufhwGWzg

This play is how the rule for ball movement during the catch was adjusted as well. HE CAUGHT THAT drat BALL, but the rule book was revised to allow for ball movement/a part of the ball touching the ground as long as control isn't lost.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So UGA decided to make a hype video

for our kicker. Life is kinda weird right now

https://twitter.com/FootballUGA/status/923633037098848256

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Since the beginning of the Richt Era, UGA kickers have been terrible at the WLOCP, so sweet vid, guys

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

swickles posted:

Tennessee screwed UF in like 04 I think and stopped the clock a bunch of time to let them kick a game winning FG.

The real travesty in that game was the Tennessee ref staring at the Tennessee player who struck the Florida player's face, and who called a 15-yard penalty on... Florida's player for retaliating. So corrupt, and it gave them the shot at the winning field goal. It helped get rid of Zook, at least.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

This Auburn game? It's from 1992 and at Auburn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ASzyJS3ezU
Oh right, it was at home and that was even weirder. I think there were dumb rumors going around about the clock guy being a secret Georgia spy.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

The real travesty in that game was the Tennessee ref staring at the Tennessee player who struck the Florida player's face, and who called a 15-yard penalty on... Florida's player for retaliating. So corrupt, and it gave them the shot at the winning field goal. It helped get rid of Zook, at least.

Wasn't that Dallas Baker? Man I was loving furious over that call.

E: Yep, found it. gently caress the ref is staring at them the whole time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3B4vuKYx74

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Grittybeard posted:

I more just thought it was funny that (1) Ohio State-Penn State is getting so hyped even though the one currently ranked team they've played between them was a convincing loss for Ohio State and (2) that beating Iowa State could be considered a good win.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

Wasn't that Dallas Baker? Man I was loving furious over that call.

E: Yep, found it. gently caress the ref is staring at them the whole time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3B4vuKYx74

Yeah, what a corrupt piece of poo poo. Speaking of pieces of poo poo, the Gators offense takes the field against Georgia in about 24 hours.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

I more just thought it was funny that (1) Ohio State-Penn State is getting so hyped even though the one currently ranked team they've played between them was a convincing loss for Ohio State and (2) that beating Iowa State could be considered a good win.

For some of us, beating Iowa State is all we have right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

For some of us, beating Iowa State is all we have right now.

Teams not in that group: Oklahoma

• Locked thread