Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Michigan has not beaten a ranked team on the road since Lloyd Carr was coaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Maxwells Demon posted:

Oregon went to two different national title games in the past 10 years. That will remain the top of Oregon's achievements.

We are now back to being trash.

We're not winning a game with Braxton starting, here's hoping we can at least win the CW.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Michigan has not beaten a ranked team on the road since Lloyd Carr was coaching.

Lmao

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
So apparently the word is the "hurricane" excuses from last year bugged more than just the fans and that's why Fuente was passing and going for it on 4th down multiple times up by 45-50+ points.

For those unaware, last year during the hurricane weekend VT and UNC played. VT won 34-3 in a shocking result and Mitch Trubisky looked really bad as well leading UNC fans everywhere to sort of write the loss off because of the hurricane, as if VT somehow played on a dry field. The excuse popped up a lot between the fanbases even as the season went on and it annoyed VT fans (and apparently coaches and players) to see a good win get cheapened and well, apparently Fuente wasn't a fan of it either.

To VT's credit, they spent the entire week leading up to yesterday's blowout talking an insane amount of poo poo on social media and the like and then doing stuff like playing "Rock You Like a Hurricane" over the PA a bunch yesterday so I think they're satisfied with the result.

The other part of this is I love having a coach who won't put up with poo poo like that, love that man :allears:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Also Harbaugh and Hoke have the same exact record through 33 games. I mean it’s obvious that Harbaugh is a way better coach but it’s fun to poke Michigan fans who thought Harbaugh was the second coming.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Rad Valtar posted:

Also Harbaugh and Hoke have the same exact record through 33 games. I mean it’s obvious that Harbaugh is a way better coach but it’s fun to poke Michigan fans who thought Harbaugh was the second coming.

I can't blame them for that, it's just easier to say now in hindsight. The man has never even won an FBS conference title, too much glory was assigned to him too early.

Kind of feel like that game is going to be the tipping point in his career at UM. I think some fans probably hopped on the train early and barring some real success going forward the next maybe 2 years are just going to get uglier inside the fanbase. I don't know his contract and payout but kind of think by 2020 UM will move on unless things really change. They struggle enough seeing OSU succeed with Meyer, PSU on the major upswing with Franklin has to be hard to take and there's Wisconsin creeping around in the shadows as well, I just don't see them waiting forever and ever with Jim if he can't get some signature wins and start winning the conference and soon.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Do neutral field games not count? They beat Florida to start this season.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

Do neutral field games not count? They beat Florida to start this season.

No, they don't. Neutrals are usually not counted either way and have to be grouped to be included e.g. "in neutral and road games UM is blah for blah", usually just done so if the neutrals make the stat more impressive and mentionable.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Please pray for Ohio State and Wisconsin, the last two defenders against Penn State, the school that facilitated the rape of children, reaching the College Football Playoff and getting the "redemption arc" stories run on ESPN

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Please pray for Ohio State and Wisconsin, the last two defenders against Penn State, the school that facilitated the rape of children, reaching the College Football Playoff and getting the "redemption arc" stories run on ESPN

on the other hand we could see Alabama literally cannibalize Penn State and absorb another 30 national championships real and imagined

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

So apparently the word is the "hurricane" excuses from last year bugged more than just the fans and that's why Fuente was passing and going for it on 4th down multiple times up by 45-50+ points.

For those unaware, last year during the hurricane weekend VT and UNC played. VT won 34-3 in a shocking result and Mitch Trubisky looked really bad as well leading UNC fans everywhere to sort of write the loss off because of the hurricane, as if VT somehow played on a dry field. The excuse popped up a lot between the fanbases even as the season went on and it annoyed VT fans (and apparently coaches and players) to see a good win get cheapened and well, apparently Fuente wasn't a fan of it either.

To VT's credit, they spent the entire week leading up to yesterday's blowout talking an insane amount of poo poo on social media and the like and then doing stuff like playing "Rock You Like a Hurricane" over the PA a bunch yesterday so I think they're satisfied with the result.

The other part of this is I love having a coach who won't put up with poo poo like that, love that man :allears:

I love a coach who is salty as hell and not afraid to show it

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I love a coach who is salty as hell and not afraid to show it

https://youtu.be/GgPSFVeaUco

8 wins in 11 games against Michigan. :allears:

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Rutgers was really fortunate to beat Purdue. Rutgers is legit good on defense despite having a lot of injuries and bad depth. They're bad on S/T, but a lot better than last year. They're horrible at passing, albeit with lots of injuries and bad depth. But they're doing a lot better than last year because they are way better at field position and time of position, and they're still solid at running the ball. Yesterday was like a lot of Jerry Kill games I guess where they bullshitted a win they had no business getting (well not entirely fair in that Purdue's QBs are horrible.)

Crotch Bat posted:

I can't blame them for that, it's just easier to say now in hindsight. The man has never even won an FBS conference title, too much glory was assigned to him too early.

Kind of feel like that game is going to be the tipping point in his career at UM. I think some fans probably hopped on the train early and barring some real success going forward the next maybe 2 years are just going to get uglier inside the fanbase. I don't know his contract and payout but kind of think by 2020 UM will move on unless things really change. They struggle enough seeing OSU succeed with Meyer, PSU on the major upswing with Franklin has to be hard to take and there's Wisconsin creeping around in the shadows as well, I just don't see them waiting forever and ever with Jim if he can't get some signature wins and start winning the conference and soon.

I think that's an overreaction in the sense that Harbaugh's really good, and I think this year being bad on offense is an aberration. But there's a real risk that just like Stanford and SF, he's starting to wear thin on everyone. He definitely would have a lifetime contract at Michigan but I think he'll burn out.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 22, 2017

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
It seems as thought all the pissing and moaning by the Auburn nation got through to the coaching staff this past week as their offense looked vastly improved. Granted, this was a game played against a completely rear end Arkansas team, and granted there were a couple of gimmick plays that probably won't fly against a team that isn't being piloted into the ground by a fat mess of a coach, but it still looked and felt good.

Stidham threw on first down, run plays were designed in ways other that "fake jet sweep read option run by the RB up the middle" and HOLY poo poo STIDHAM ACTUALLY KEPT AN OPTION PLAY which was so hilariously unexpected by Arkansas (who no doubt saw the same trends on tape) that he walked into the end zone untouched.

Given the way they looked this week, which was similar to the Mississippi games, there is an argument to be made that last week was an anomaly and the team is trending towards a dynamic and powerful offense. The talent is certainly there and if the staff utilizes it there's two winnable games out of Aggie, Georgia, Alabama.

Or maybe I'm just riding high from beating the brakes off of Bielema and Auburn isn't actually good. Guess we'll find out in a few weeks!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Fox was showing reruns of big bang the other day while relegating baseball to fs1. They dgaf

Cougs are back, maybe?

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

Don't forget that one of those 4th down attempts was like a 40 yard pass with 3 minutes left in the game. I think that was my favorite playcall of the past several years. UNC's one defensive back, #9, was talking poo poo after every play at the start of the game, points just kept piling up on him, and he ultimately left the game in the 3rd or 4th with some kind of injury, maybe a concussion.

e: I also forgot that one of the one of the "text to vote for the song" options was Blame It On The Rain. Sadly it didn't win but it was funny to see it included.

single-mode fiber fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 22, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Once again Texas defense played amazing aside from a few busted coverages. Really weird watching the turn around they've made since getting the business from Maryland of all people.

Our offense, woof.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Once again Texas defense played amazing aside from a few busted coverages. Really weird watching the turn around they've made since getting the business from Maryland of all people.

Our offense, woof.

I was in the process of writing the same post basically. Our defense is really drat good. We're like 11 points away from being 6-1, so that's kinda lovely :(

This team could be really good in the future if we give Todd Orlando a raise and fire Tim beck immediately.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

got any sevens posted:

Fox was showing reruns of big bang the other day while relegating baseball to fs1. They dgaf

Cougs are back, maybe?

That a local channel showing syndicated shows.

But yeah, it's dumb.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Pre-WLOCP bye week for UGA. Team's been beating rear end, looking to maybe wrap up the SEC East early. Florida comes into the game playing lousy ball.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400548348

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Michigan State is still not that good but wins are wins

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

D.N. Nation posted:

Pre-WLOCP bye week for UGA. Team's been beating rear end, looking to maybe wrap up the SEC East early. Florida comes into the game playing lousy ball.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400548348

I'm going to watch the game but only because I hate myself and I hate this 2017 team.

Go ahead and smite us, please.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

I'm going to watch the game but only because I hate myself and I hate this 2017 team.

Hell, same

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Shappa posted:

It seems as thought all the pissing and moaning by the Auburn nation got through to the coaching staff this past week as their offense looked vastly improved. Granted, this was a game played against a completely rear end Arkansas team, and granted there were a couple of gimmick plays that probably won't fly against a team that isn't being piloted into the ground by a fat mess of a coach, but it still looked and felt good.

Stidham threw on first down, run plays were designed in ways other that "fake jet sweep read option run by the RB up the middle" and HOLY poo poo STIDHAM ACTUALLY KEPT AN OPTION PLAY which was so hilariously unexpected by Arkansas (who no doubt saw the same trends on tape) that he walked into the end zone untouched.

Given the way they looked this week, which was similar to the Mississippi games, there is an argument to be made that last week was an anomaly and the team is trending towards a dynamic and powerful offense. The talent is certainly there and if the staff utilizes it there's two winnable games out of Aggie, Georgia, Alabama.

Or maybe I'm just riding high from beating the brakes off of Bielema and Auburn isn't actually good. Guess we'll find out in a few weeks!

Funny thing about that Stidham touchdown run. Arkansas only had 9 players on the field and one of them laid down to fake an injury.
https://twitter.com/WarDamnStool/status/921886691815821313

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Kim Jong Il posted:

I think that's an overreaction in the sense that Harbaugh's really good, and I think this year being bad on offense is an aberration. But there's a real risk that just like Stanford and SF, he's starting to wear thin on everyone. He definitely would have a lifetime contract at Michigan but I think he'll burn out.

He's definitely good but there will be a lot of questions going forward from this game about when he's going to start putting together big wins and winning the conference. Like I said, it's bad enough they're playing second fiddle to OSU under Meyer, if they get relegated to 3rd or even 4th in the conference in a given year that will be when he's shown the door.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

LeeMajors posted:

its really interesting to be at that point where you hope for a devastating loss to a rival so you can scream SEE I TOLD YOU IT WAS BAD WE NEED TO FIX THIS

and then you give the coach an extension or something

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Michigan State is still not that good but wins are wins

I'll take 6-1 and bowling any day over last year. If we get lucky against Northwestern, we may even hit 9 wins.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Michigan lost like almost literally their entire team to the NFL. They're fine, and Harbaugh is very good. It's extremely fun to make fun of him but there isn't actually something deeply wrong with the program.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Duckaerobics posted:

Funny thing about that Stidham touchdown run. Arkansas only had 9 players on the field and one of them laid down to fake an injury.

This play looks like it's from the closing minutes of a 55-3 mauling, not the first 5 minutes of a game where nobody's scored yet :psyduck:

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I'm still surprised he's going with O'Korn. You wouldn't want to throw your future QB to the wolves like last night's game, but at what point should Michigan look to the future to build experience for next year? Michigan is out of contention this season. Maybe they need to begin easing younger players into the rotation.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

MourningView posted:

Michigan lost like almost literally their entire team to the NFL. They're fine, and Harbaugh is very good. It's extremely fun to make fun of him but there isn't actually something deeply wrong with the program.

they returned 5 starters, I think

on both sides of the ball

They're gonna be fine.

Michigan fans and critics can start panicking/smugly talking poo poo if they suck in the future (they don't suck now, they just got hammered by an actual contender), we're still in the darkest timeline where Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State are all good

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Duckaerobics posted:

wow

this is what it took to make me realize exactly how bad bert actually is

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

they returned 5 starters, I think

on both sides of the ball

They're gonna be fine.

Michigan fans and critics can start panicking/smugly talking poo poo if they suck in the future (they don't suck now, they just got hammered by an actual contender), we're still in the darkest timeline where Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State are all good

I'm not debating that, I'm saying what happens in year 5 or 6 if they still haven't won the conference? It's neat to think Harbaugh will be there in 15 years with 0 conference titles but we all know that's not the case. Being 10-2 or even 11-1 isn't going to matter to their fans if he can't start winning the conference because regardless of record it'll still mean they're being relegated to 2nd or 3rd in the conference.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Crotch Bat posted:

I'm not debating that, I'm saying what happens in year 5 or 6 if they still haven't won the conference? It's neat to think Harbaugh will be there in 15 years with 0 conference titles but we all know that's not the case. Being 10-2 or even 11-1 isn't going to matter to their fans if he can't start winning the conference because regardless of record it'll still mean they're being relegated to 2nd or 3rd in the conference.
Well that's 2-3 years out so who the gently caress knows, why are we just assuming he can't win the conference?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Well that's 2-3 years out so who the gently caress knows, why are we just assuming he can't win the conference?

I'm just doing it for the sake of argument but he's never won an FBS conference period just for what it's worth. I think an equal argument can easily be made for "why assume he'll win one soon" with Meyer around and PSU on the rise and I still wouldn't discount Wisconsin because they've got it on cruise control in the whatever the hell division that is that doesn't have Michigan, OSU, and PSU (seriously, what a stupid alignment).

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 22, 2017

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Why is butch still here

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

what if hitler were black, and, also, in the Big Ten West?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Iowa State actually looks good at this football thing. Haven’t been able to say that in a while. I can’t even remember how long it’s been since they won 3 in a row.

Very likely getting killed by TCU next week, but I think they can beat WVU, KState and Baylor and end with 7 or more wins. I didn’t think they would win 5 all season.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 22, 2017

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
https://twitter.com/WVUBarstool/status/921929646689718272

looooool gently caress baylor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

I'm just doing it for the sake of argument but he's never won an FBS conference period just for what it's worth

"What it's worth" is basically nothing. He was at Stanford for all of four years and they were one of the worst power 5 teams when he got there. It was also at a time when Carroll was still at USC and Chip Kelly was at his peak with Oregon. They would have been a playoff team his last season if the playoff had existed.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Iowa State actually looks good at this football thing. Haven’t been able to say that in a while. I can’t even remember how long it’s been since they win 3 in a row.

Very likely getting killed by TCU next week, but I think they can beat WVU, KState and Baylor and end with 7 or more wins. I didn’t think they would win 5 all season.

I think it might be since 2002. Or at least this is their best start to a season since then

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 22, 2017

• Locked thread