Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's going to win this mess?
This poll is closed.
Our New Canadian Overlords 19 35.19%
East Hartford FC 0 0%
Better World Cup Odds Than the USMNT 3 5.56%
28-3 4 7.41%
gently caress Anthony Precourt 9 16.67%
Our DV8 Doesn't Have a Brass Pole in It 5 9.26%
We're Not Repeating, Don't Vote for Us 5 9.26%
That Other...OTHER Canadian Team 2 3.70%
Only Palatable with Vodka 3 5.56%
Rock You Like a Hurrica...nevermind 3 5.56%
We Have the *Best* Luck in Away Knockout Games 0 0%
gently caress Chris Wondolowski for Belgium 1 1.85%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Vancouver (the bigger, slightly less boring Vancouver) Should Win Tonight but I thought that ten days ago and now look where we are.

Surely Tarbell can't steal ANOTHER game, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Not Thrilled with Marinovic starting after Sunday but welp, I guess if he's going to be our starter after Ousted leaves he might as well get the keys now?

Otherwise it's a first choice lineup, for what that's worth. Do or die time etc.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Okay, I am no longer QUITE as bitter about them not doing this two weeks ago when it would have got them first place.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I'm going to regret asking this, but why is that the better schedule? I saw the thread on Reddit but it was so toxic at first glance that I decided not to read it until I could source some hazmat gear.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Well, that was a game that happened. I am slightly scared of admire all you people who actually managed to watch and post through it instead of giving up halfway through and leaving it on in the background while playing TW Warhammer like me.

squirrelzipper posted:

As a long time whitecaps fan this was a super disappointing match. Playing not to lose is a disservice to the fans most of whom would rather lose an exciting game with opportunities than nil tie a poo poo game.

I mean I'm glad they didn't concede an away goal but man was that awful to sit through. It also means we have to win (well, or score-draw) away in Seattle, which is POSSIBLE but Robbo will definitely have to start a more attacking lineup and hope Reyna just had a bad game and isn't actually injured.

quote:

Also, I get Davies is young and maybe not a starter but not even a sub?

And Shea, who apparently saw an ant and died a couple times tonight, is a daily starter.

These two facts are related and I hate them both. I don't get Shea being a starter except in the sense that there isn't really anyone else for that left-sided attacking midfield spot besides Davies (maybe Techera, or Teibert if years of being inexplicably played as a CM hasn't broken him)

camoseven posted:

There have been rumors recently that they’re gonna move to knockout style throughout the playoffs, and god drat I hope they implement it ASAP

I too have heard this may happen starting next year (along with extending the regular season so playoffs only start after the November international break, so the season will still end in december but playoffs take half as much time), and as much as I think two-legged series are "fairer" I cannot bloody wait for it. The knockout-round games have consistently been the most exciting of the playoffs, so sure, let's do that all the way through. You want home playoff games, win in the regular season.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 30, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

NYRB looking a lot better in this second half.

(injury to Vazquez may help them too)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Blehhhhst, part 2.

Houston's strategy of "let our pitch injure as many Timbers as possible so maybe we can win away" seems as unlikely to succeed as Robbo's plan against Seattle.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

LOL City.

Looks like we're Major League: Soccer now.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

If they can get past TFC we are clearly living in a sports movie and accordingly they will win the whole fuckin' thing.

(with any luck Houston or Vancouver will come out of the West along with them and the entire league office will promptly be put on a suicide watch).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

It's Toledo, IDK what you even expected even after Fischer called him over.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

That was always coming. An equalizer would be hilarious but I really hope it doesn't come until stoppage time, I don't trust us not to concede again.

oh boy this is gonna be red isn't it?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

camoseven posted:

The west is so bad and whoever wins it will get crushed by any of the east teams

Correct!

I can't even be mad, advancing after playing like this would have been highway robbery.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

DR AIDS posted:

What the gently caress whitecaps? That was a really sad 2 games.

Robinson was trying to Mourinho his way through and shock, horror, it didn't work.

Honestly I think Reyna and Techera only started today out of desperation, neither of them looked terribly fit and we are really short on creativity when they aren't on.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 3, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

All right my dudes, time for six hours straight of Domestic Soccer (well let's be honest, we'll all just watch the East games). I don't even have to change channels all day, thanks TSN.

Toronto home leg vs. RBNY up first, just about to kick off.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

New York keep managing to JUST divert near-perfect TFC final balls, I can't imagine they'll get away with that forever though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

handbaaaaaaaaaags

Edit: lol at that replay, Jozy blatantly trying to get Littlefinger a red card.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

TSN says the refs told them it was offside.

If it was it was by like a whisker.

edit: lol nice meltdown guys

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

whypick1 posted:

Almost a comical goal

Theeeeere's your comical goal.

(also Mensah needs some new goddamned cleats)

City needs only one more goal in the next 40 minutes to advance.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

Pirlo is passing poorly I thought he was supposed to be good at that.

He was better at it when he first got here. Now, NYC might have legit been better off subbing in McNamara.

Anyway, Columbus through, Giovinco and Altidore suspended for the first leg, Team Chaos wins again

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Thank god, we've been saved from extra time.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

That Manotas goal just made this entire awful series worth it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

8 minutes of stoppage time :laffo:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

A goalless home draw against your superior opponents missing their best players who will 100% be back in a week is, shall we say, not really a good outcome for the Crew. Speaking from experience, etc.

edit: meanwhile Svensson has just scored for Seattle in the other game because hey sure why not start the second game before the first one is over?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 22, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

If Jozy matters to the outcome in either direction after this the #narratives will be insufferable.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I never understood why Columbus gave us so much for Manneh but if he manages to save them tonight I'll have to admit they won that trade.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Seltzer posted:

I hope you're already buzzed off molson exports or whatever because this is some incredibly bad posting.

Ladies, ladies, please, you're both insufferable.

I hope Toronto wins, they deserve to be happy just this once after so long

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

whypick1 posted:

Thanks Frei

He's going to save your asses AGAIN and it's going to be the purest, distilled Toronto Sports.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

A SEATTLE SHOT ON TARGET!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Benne posted:

I'll be so mad if we give up the winning goal to Michael loving Bradley

How about Jozy, would that be madder or less mad?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

:fork:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Altidore as Cup MVP, presumably only for saving the entire audience from penalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Left the postgame on and got distracted, turned back and saw some little guy in red tuque/winter coat holding the trophy surrounded by cameras and went "aww, whose son got to hold the Cup?" but, of course, no, it was Seba.

• Locked thread