Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Anything for the 14s? It's for my BIL so he just needs something that's not an 8, heh.

If you add a line yes. For upgrades, maybe, I would def call sales and ask if there is a retention offer.

They sometimes have a 13 for free retention offer ? I would ask for all 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

What is a retention upgrade? Is that just “we give this deal to people who are threatening to cancel but if you call and ask for a retention upgrade nicely we can maybe extend it to you”?

My wife and I have SE’s 2nd gen and have been contemplating upgrading to SOMETHING newer; if there’s a way to do it cheaper then all the better.

I guess follow-up question, does a retention upgrade potentially apply to two phones on a family plan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SgtScruffy posted:

What is a retention upgrade? Is that just “we give this deal to people who are threatening to cancel but if you call and ask for a retention upgrade nicely we can maybe extend it to you”?

My wife and I have SE’s 2nd gen and have been contemplating upgrading to SOMETHING newer; if there’s a way to do it cheaper then all the better.

I guess follow-up question, does a retention upgrade potentially apply to two phones on a family plan?

Essentially yeah, Verizon has “my offers” and the system basically flags accounts with offers to upgrade because maybe you haven’t upgraded in a while (and thus potential to switch away, etc).

It’s line by line, but certainly can be multiple lines, I’ve had people upgrade 4-5 my offers at a time.

Verizon changes the offers month by month ish. The main trigger is if your phones are paid off or almost paid off, and also assuming you have on time bill pay history , etc.

Good chance you have something, I would call asap, holiday promos are almost over. Sales is (800) 256-4646

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

It's cool that I tried to activate an eSIM on my iPhone 15 PM, which turned off the SIM in my Xperia, but it is now stuck on "Activating." So I can't call Verizon customer support on my iPhone because the eSIM isn't provisioned, and my Xperia can't call because it detects the mobile network is unavailable. So I call from another phone and get told that the call centers are closed so I can't speak to someone on the phone (it is 7:24pm CST). Meanwhile if I try to use online tools it insists on sending me a text message for access authorization, which I can't receive because neither of my phones now have activated SIM cards. Excellent system.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 10, 2024

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Branch Nvidian posted:

It's cool that I tried to activate an eSIM on my iPhone 15 PM, which turned off the SIM in my Xperia, but it is now stuck on "Activating." So I can't call Verizon customer support on my iPhone because the eSIM isn't provisioned, and my Xperia can't call because it detects the mobile network is unavailable. So I call from another phone and get told that the call centers are closed so I can't speak to someone on the phone (it is 7:24pm CST). Meanwhile if I try to use online tools it insists on sending me a text message for access authorization, which I can't receive because neither of my phones now have activated SIM cards. Excellent system.

Yea it’s bad.

I assume you fixed it by now, but fyi dial (800) 392-0717 to get to care.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Yea it’s bad.

I assume you fixed it by now, but fyi dial (800) 392-0717 to get to care.

I have not been able to get it fixed yet. Just dealing with a cycle of the website/chat/app wanting to send me an online verification code to my mobile number that is currently not able to receive messages. I called 800-392-0717 from another phone and it says "Our Centers are Currently Closed" and hangs up.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 10, 2024

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Branch Nvidian posted:

I have not been able to get it fixed yet. Just dealing with a cycle of the website/chat/app wanting to send me an online verification code to my mobile number that is currently not able to receive messages. I called 800-392-0717 from another phone and it says "Our Centers are Currently Closed" and hangs up.

They should still be open, that’s weird.

Try calling sales at (800) 256-4646

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

They should still be open, that’s weird.

Try calling sales at (800) 256-4646

Update: managed to get a chat support rep who understood the issue and got me fixed up. Took 40-ish minutes, but issue resolved. Am curious why call centers are closed at 7pm when the "Contact Us" page says open until 9pm.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Branch Nvidian posted:

Update: managed to get a chat support rep who understood the issue and got me fixed up. Took 40-ish minutes, but issue resolved. Am curious why call centers are closed at 7pm when the "Contact Us" page says open until 9pm.

I have no idea why you couldn’t get through, both customer care and the sales center are open until 10pm eastern last I checked.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Certainly would like if my phone wouldnt install "security updates" that were just bullshit games that Verizon was getting money off of

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Latest update for my P8P has nothing like that. What phone?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
luv 2 have a "we're increasing your business line price by $5/line, because we can" email waiting for me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've been routinely hitting my hotspot cap early in the month on the Play More plan, any reason not to bump up to Unlimited Ultimate for $10/month?

Also, any word on promotions for the upcoming S24 Ultra? My S20 Ultra is still fine, but I've been feeling the upgrade itch. This is probably the longest I've gone between new phones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

I've been routinely hitting my hotspot cap early in the month on the Play More plan, any reason not to bump up to Unlimited Ultimate for $10/month?

Also, any word on promotions for the upcoming S24 Ultra? My S20 Ultra is still fine, but I've been feeling the upgrade itch. This is probably the longest I've gone between new phones.

Probably they’ll have a free trade in , launch is the best time to upgrade.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

schreibs posted:

Certainly would like if my phone wouldnt install "security updates" that were just bullshit games that Verizon was getting money off of

AlexDeGruven posted:

Latest update for my P8P has nothing like that. What phone?

Assuming it’s probably a Samsung. My grandfather had an A31 that kept getting “updates” that did this. Nothing like a tech-illiterate grandparent having a panic attack because things showed up on their phone that they didn’t put there.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Assuming it’s probably a Samsung. My grandfather had an A31 that kept getting “updates” that did this. Nothing like a tech-illiterate grandparent having a panic attack because things showed up on their phone that they didn’t put there.

That's my guess. Either a cheap or "free" Samsung or something similar.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Well I have seen on Reddit people complaining about it happening on their Galaxy Flip/Fold devices even. There is some Verizon service on the phones that's hidden from the app list, but does show up if you go into the installed apps menu through the settings, that basically allows Verizon to back-door install stuff on the phones.

https://www.androidpolice.com/what-is-verizon-app-manager-why-does-it-keep-installing-apps/

fwiw this appears to only affect Verizon-sourced devices. So a factory unlocked phone, or a device originally from another carrier, shouldn't have this happen to them. I think it's related to the carrier specific-ROMs baking it in. Any time I've used a Samsung device from a carrier though, the first thing I've done was reflash it with the factory unlocked ROM.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 14, 2024

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just got my violet s24 ultra pre-ordered on the Verizon site. Gotta love the current Samsung trade-in promotion, got $1000 credit for my s20 ultra.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Another $4/line rate hike! At least we get 5GB extra mobile hotspot, right?

Didn't Verizon just have a rate increase recently?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Shareholder value uber alles in capitalist utopia.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EconOutlines posted:

Another $4/line rate hike! At least we get 5GB extra mobile hotspot, right?

Didn't Verizon just have a rate increase recently?

Yeah, I’m (obviously) not a fan of it.

They’ve had multiple so I can’t even keep track. I think 6-8 months ago.

This is the first one affect “premium” plans, so it’s gonna be a lot of people and probably a lot of posters here. If you are on any play more, do more or get more you are impacted.

The Plus plans usually are around the same price, they just won’t include free Disney plus, that’s gonna be the kicker.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

“We haven’t done anything to materially improve the service you’re receiving from us. Pay us more.”

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I’m (obviously) not a fan of it.

They’ve had multiple so I can’t even keep track. I think 6-8 months ago.

This is the first one affect “premium” plans, so it’s gonna be a lot of people and probably a lot of posters here. If you are on any play more, do more or get more you are impacted.

The Plus plans usually are around the same price, they just won’t include free Disney plus, that’s gonna be the kicker.

Yep, got the email. Looks like the Unlimited Welcome plans aren't being hit, at least I don't see that on mine. I do see a notice that my 5G Play More is going up by $4.

I thought all of the plans were going up, so I went ahead and got my kids the "free" iPhone 15 since I already had three other three year phone plans. Now we have one iPhone 14 and four iPhone 15s for three years. My oldest will be in college then, I wonder how long people keep their kids on the phone plan once they go to college.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Yep, got the email. Looks like the Unlimited Welcome plans aren't being hit, at least I don't see that on mine. I do see a notice that my 5G Play More is going up by $4.

I thought all of the plans were going up, so I went ahead and got my kids the "free" iPhone 15 since I already had three other three year phone plans. Now we have one iPhone 14 and four iPhone 15s for three years. My oldest will be in college then, I wonder how long people keep their kids on the phone plan once they go to college.

Yup, welcome unlimited is still a current plan, so that should not change.

You’re getting Disney free free on play more, which is a $18 savings, so it’s still slightly cheaper if it’s just one line to stay on play more vs move to unlimited plus (current plan).

I donno if you want to hear this or not, but I’ve seen kids stay on parents plans into their 30s and 40s lol. Although usually kids move off in mid to late 20s, the prompt is usually significant other / getting married. But like, my very good friend, him and his wife are both on his in laws plan because it’s just cheaper for 4 lines shared than 2 and 2 lines shared.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

My in-laws and 35 year old brother in law are all in our plan.

I remember when Sprint had some really good family deal goons were putting together groups.

It's NBD, really.

I've contemplated inviting my stepdad on, since it would save him a bit with Mom gone.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have not found the email so I am going to ask here first. Does this increase per line affect all lines (watches, iPads, etc) or only the main phone lines?

If it is just phone lines, then that increases our bill by $12. If it is all lines, then that increases our bill by $96 (3 phones, 4 watches and 1 iPad).

Here I was feeling good about saving money on a year of Netflix by getting it through Verizon.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have not found the email so I am going to ask here first. Does this increase per line affect all lines (watches, iPads, etc) or only the main phone lines?

If it is just phone lines, then that increases our bill by $12. If it is all lines, then that increases our bill by $96 (3 phones, 4 watches and 1 iPad).

Here I was feeling good about saving money on a year of Netflix by getting it through Verizon.

Only phone lines, not watches or iPads.

If you post or PM your plan I can tell you if you should stay put or go to the new plans. Or mix and match on it. This applies to anyone here for the record.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

I donno if you want to hear this or not, but I’ve seen kids stay on parents plans into their 30s and 40s lol. Although usually kids move off in mid to late 20s, the prompt is usually significant other / getting married. But like, my very good friend, him and his wife are both on his in laws plan because it’s just cheaper for 4 lines shared than 2 and 2 lines shared.

Lmao, I'm in my 40s, and my plan has grown from me and my parents (with me owning the plan), to adding my wife, to adding my 5yo, and a work only phone.

In theory, I could add my in laws too, but having their own VZW plan means they get their own discount on FIOS, so it's technically better for them?

I think my contract is older than a fair amount of verizon employees at this point!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

:ohdear:

But I do get it. If it’s cheaper all around, makes sense.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Only phone lines, not watches or iPads.

If you post or PM your plan I can tell you if you should stay put or go to the new plans. Or mix and match on it. This applies to anyone here for the record.

We have two 5G Do More lines and one Unlimited Plus line.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Speaking of (old) plan perks...

If anyone is running into issues signing up for AppleTV with their VZW-linked AppleID for Apple Music, it seems that it won't let you subscribe under that ID, and you need to start a new one. Given that Masters of the Air just started up, I'm guessing I might not be the only one wondering "hey, why won't it let me subscribe?"

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

We have two 5G Do More lines and one Unlimited Plus line.

Do you use the up to 12 free travel pass days a year on the Do More lines ?

If you use more than 5 a year each keep it.

If you don’t, which I bet you don’t, switch em to unlimited plus you won’t lose any other features.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Do you use the up to 12 free travel pass days a year on the Do More lines ?

If you use more than 5 a year each keep it.

If you don’t, which I bet you don’t, switch em to unlimited plus you won’t lose any other features.

We have not used a single travel pass day.

Do those only work with international travel or does Hawaii count with those to? My wife has a trip there this summer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

We have not used a single travel pass day.

Do those only work with international travel or does Hawaii count with those to? My wife has a trip there this summer.

Hawaii is part of the United States of America so you are good to go there.

Edit: please read in a joking tone, I wasn’t trying to be an rear end in a top hat.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 27, 2024

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Completely read in a joking way. I did not know if it was a “contiguous US” type thing.

Thanks again for the info.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Completely read in a joking way. I did not know if it was a “contiguous US” type thing.

Thanks again for the info.

For sure. Yeah, coverage is all US, so Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico are all good. Pretty sure? Guam.

Interesting thing: Puerto Rico is included, but Verizon will not allow you to sign up for service with a PR address (I don’t think they own the towers there).

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

Yeah a Samsung S23. Im not tech illiterate but I loving hate apps on my phone. Give me the bare minimum and let me put on the ones I actually use not this shovelware poo poo.

Came to complain about the $4/mon extra tacked on for no reason but that seems to be beaten to death.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

schreibs posted:

Yeah a Samsung S23. Im not tech illiterate but I loving hate apps on my phone. Give me the bare minimum and let me put on the ones I actually use not this shovelware poo poo.

Came to complain about the $4/mon extra tacked on for no reason but that seems to be beaten to death.

Nah you can still complain about bullshit rate hikes, I think it’s ridiculous.

What plan(s) do you have? I can tell you if you should stay on current plan or switch to the current ones.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

For sure. Yeah, coverage is all US, so Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico are all good. Pretty sure? Guam.

Interesting thing: Puerto Rico is included, but Verizon will not allow you to sign up for service with a PR address (I don’t think they own the towers there).

Duckman, we have the 2 5G Do More plans that you suggested switching to unlimited plus. Does it matter that we have not paid off our 13 pro phones yet (will pay it off in April)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Duckman, we have the 2 5G Do More plans that you suggested switching to unlimited plus. Does it matter that we have not paid off our 13 pro phones yet (will pay it off in April)?

Nope, unlimited plus is premium data you won’t lose any promos. Switch away.