Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Nope, that plan is now non transferable. Any transfer require going to a current rate plan now.

I thought the whole point of the AOL process is that it is assuming liability on an existing account and not transferring anything? It looks like some plans are still listed on ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I thought the whole point of the AOL process is that it is assuming liability on an existing account and not transferring anything? It looks like some plans are still listed on ebay.

If you can , I’ll gladly be wrong, but you are transferring the number and liability of service (so choose whatever verbiage you want). Anyway, point being last I checked it can’t be transferred. Could be wrong.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Has the Beyond Unlimited plan been working out, as far as people can tell, in regards to the whole de-prioritization thing?

My brother wants to join us in the modern age with a smart phone, but his line is on my current grandfathered unlimited family plan. In order to change the data plan on his line, I am certain they will force me to change mine in the process. What alternatives I know of - either he breaks off and does his own line, or lives with the current 2.99/per mb that his line currently has - aren't all that attractive.

While I enjoy the freedom my grandfathered unlimited brings, I can adjust to live without. I'm just curious if this "in times of congestion" thing basically means that I'll always have problems beyond the limit or if it's not so common a concern.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lothire posted:

Has the Beyond Unlimited plan been working out, as far as people can tell, in regards to the whole de-prioritization thing?

My brother wants to join us in the modern age with a smart phone, but his line is on my current grandfathered unlimited family plan. In order to change the data plan on his line, I am certain they will force me to change mine in the process. What alternatives I know of - either he breaks off and does his own line, or lives with the current 2.99/per mb that his line currently has - aren't all that attractive.

While I enjoy the freedom my grandfathered unlimited brings, I can adjust to live without. I'm just curious if this "in times of congestion" thing basically means that I'll always have problems beyond the limit or if it's not so common a concern.

Well, FYI he can get a smartphone on those old family plans still, it just adds $30 a month for 3GB. I would have to see your plan to tell you whether that is cheaper or beyond unlimited. Although if he wants unlimited data that doesn’t necessarily fix that.

I never hit 22GB, so I couldn’t tell you on the data priority. I have customers who I’m helping and they use well over and they never seem to complain about it.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

FWIW I regularly use over 22GB/month and haven’t ever noticed a slowdown. Some of the towers in Seattle are super congested and slow, but they aren’t considerably slower when I break 22GB. My interpretation of this is that a tower has to be *extremely* overwhelmed to throttle, like maybe during a sporting event.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
My Verizon password suddenly stopped working out of the blue. Was able to reset it (changed it to something new) without any fuss and I didn’t receive any messages indicating anything funny was going on and there was no evidence of my account being compromised, no odd charges or purchases or stuff like that. I also use a unique password and only access it on my phone itself. Password has always been unique and never used on insecure devices like other people’s computers.

In September I had that happen and it turned out they had a small data breach and had to reset people’s passwords, maybe it’s the same thing again.

Also I was on a train at the time - I wonder if moving between cells while doing the authentication freaked it out?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 7, 2018

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
@duckman. Haven’t had insurance on a phone since my droid maxx. Flipped a Pixel 2 XL to get an iPhone 8+. Since the back is all glass, is the 13/mo worth? I’m on a solo line. A insurance would put me around 100/mo. Talk me into/out of it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is it a brand new, or less than 60 day old, iPhone 8+ and you can get AppleCare+ on it? Get AppleCare if so; it'll be cheaper when you consider Asurion's $199 deductible. Apple's deductible is $99.

Honestly given Asurion's high deductible and how likely you think you are to break the phone, you might be better off just putting the $13 in a jar every month and having a broken phone/new phone fund. After 24 months of Asurion you've paid nearly half the retail price of the phone, all to buy yourself the option to pay another $200 to fix it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If you do get Asurion there is a hidden $6.75 insurance option you can ask Verizon to put on.

Apple care: $199, 2 years of physical damage and warranty covered. Main downside is no lost/stolen coverage. $99 repair cost

Verizon insurance: $6.75 monthly until you remove it, covers all (warranty then is one year via Apple), deductibles is $199.

So the question is: do you lose phones?

Varies per person, I never get insurance for my wife and I, but it’s price vs risk. I did get insurance for my wife’s phone currently because we have an upcoming trip, but I’m removing it after the trip.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Vzw gave me $370 for my Pixel 2 XL. Paid the difference in cash, own the phone outright, brand new. I still have 60 days to decide

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

I think I want to return it and get the red variant coming on Friday. Not because I’m a good person, I just really like the red. You said there was a secret 6.75 option for coverage? On the app it says it’s 13?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cuedotcom posted:

I think I want to return it and get the red variant coming on Friday. Not because I’m a good person, I just really like the red. You said there was a secret 6.75 option for coverage? On the app it says it’s 13?

Right, select more options and select WPP (wireless phone protection). Or call care.

As long as you are within 14 days they’ll swap it as long as there is inventory, they will charge a $35 fee.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Right, select more options and select WPP (wireless phone protection). Or call care.

As long as you are within 14 days they’ll swap it as long as there is inventory, they will charge a $35 fee.

What’s the difference between WPP and TMP?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cuedotcom posted:

What’s the difference between WPP and TMP?

TMP includes extended warrant and the ability to call advance technical support.

So go for WPP.

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA
Hey Duckman, I work as a third party Verizon vendor for Best Buy and the number one question I get from my customers is, "What is the difference between Premium 4G LTE (Beyond Unlimited) vs Standard 4G LTE (Go Unlimited)". Is Beyond unlimited faster? Or is that Premium LTE feature referring to how the data is provisioned?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chamuska posted:

Hey Duckman, I work as a third party Verizon vendor for Best Buy and the number one question I get from my customers is, "What is the difference between Premium 4G LTE (Beyond Unlimited) vs Standard 4G LTE (Go Unlimited)". Is Beyond unlimited faster? Or is that Premium LTE feature referring to how the data is provisioned?

Go unlimited is throttled at Any time on a congested tower, beyond is only after 22GB. Go unlimited is 3G hotspot and non HD video streaming.

So beyond is essentially priority access, although day by day it’s similar speeds for most customers.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Went and got the red iPhone this morning. Pictures online do this thing no justice. The Ferrari red is very sexy. Picked up the protection plan also. Simply because of the glass back. Not upset.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have a Nexus 6p. I'm currently on Project Fi but I want to switch to Verizon. From what I can find online, people have issues getting their 6p on Verizon. Is that still a problem these days?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

I have a Nexus 6p. I'm currently on Project Fi but I want to switch to Verizon. From what I can find online, people have issues getting their 6p on Verizon. Is that still a problem these days?

Nope, should work fine.

If you have any questions on plans or anything just post.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Worst case you call CS and manually add the IEMI # over the phone. 20m max

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Duckman2008 posted:

Nope, should work fine.

If you have any questions on plans or anything just post.

cuedotcom posted:

Worst case you call CS and manually add the IEMI # over the phone. 20m max

Thanks!

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
What's the best option for international roaming? I'm going overseas (Korea) for about 10 days and was looking at the options and I guess TravelPass makes the most sense ($10/day)? I probably won't need to use it everyday (get by on wifi most days) but my wife probably will be using it daily which will come out to about $100 just for her. Add in a couple days for me and we're looking at close to $150 max.

The $25 a month international traveling plan looks okay (so it'd be $50 total for both of us) but the 100mb data limit is too small and we'll probably go over it. Overage charge of $25 per 100mb is pretty steep. Don't need talk or text.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Drop a Korean sim in the card? Probably sell prepaid ones in the airport

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hmmxkrazee posted:

What's the best option for international roaming? I'm going overseas (Korea) for about 10 days and was looking at the options and I guess TravelPass makes the most sense ($10/day)? I probably won't need to use it everyday (get by on wifi most days) but my wife probably will be using it daily which will come out to about $100 just for her. Add in a couple days for me and we're looking at close to $150 max.

The $25 a month international traveling plan looks okay (so it'd be $50 total for both of us) but the 100mb data limit is too small and we'll probably go over it. Overage charge of $25 per 100mb is pretty steep. Don't need talk or text.

Travel pass is the most convenient and you use your number, or local SIM which is likely a little cheaper. Def call in and make sure travelpass is on both phones (it’s a $0 code) and when you get there stop by a prepaid shop and see what plans are. Worst case is you use travelpass.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Duckman2008 posted:

Travel pass is the most convenient and you use your number, or local SIM which is likely a little cheaper. Def call in and make sure travelpass is on both phones (it’s a $0 code) and when you get there stop by a prepaid shop and see what plans are. Worst case is you use travelpass.
This is what we did for a recent trip to Italy. It was cool having data for the first day off the plane until we figured out the local SIM card situation. Also nice knowing that we'd only be charged the $10 for days we used it.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Sounds good. I'll enable TravelPass and use it as a second option as needed. As long as "Airplane Mode" is on I won't be activating it right?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Got an old Moto X from 2015 that's about on its last legs. Looking to buy a new phone (Moto G6 when it comes out, Pixel 2, literally anything that works, etc.) but I am trying to avoid Verizon's uh "helpful" forced application installs you get when you buy the phone direct from them. I will decide what apps I want on my phone, thank you very much.

If I buy from Amazon/Best Buy/etc. is the process still just "switch out SIM from the old phone" or is there CDMA fuckery going on?

Also any idea when CDMA will finally be deprecated and we'll have more (Android) phone choices?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

axeil posted:

Got an old Moto X from 2015 that's about on its last legs. Looking to buy a new phone (Moto G6 when it comes out, Pixel 2, literally anything that works, etc.) but I am trying to avoid Verizon's uh "helpful" forced application installs you get when you buy the phone direct from them. I will decide what apps I want on my phone, thank you very much.

If I buy from Amazon/Best Buy/etc. is the process still just "switch out SIM from the old phone" or is there CDMA fuckery going on?

Also any idea when CDMA will finally be deprecated and we'll have more (Android) phone choices?

If it says unlocked and works on Verizon (the Pixel 2 does, for instance), then you just put the SIM in and go. Any phone worth buying at this point in time already has an unlocked version like this.

FWIW, Android supports a feature that allows carrier-specified apps to be installed on the device the first time you boot it with a carrier SIM. IIRC, this results in My Verizon being installed on the phone, no matter where you bought it from. To avoid this, just set up the phone without a SIM in it, then put it in later. Or just uninstall the app after the fact.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hmmxkrazee posted:

Sounds good. I'll enable TravelPass and use it as a second option as needed. As long as "Airplane Mode" is on I won't be activating it right?

Correct.

axeil posted:

FYI the Pixel 2 XL comes with 3 extra apps and is on promo for $300 off (have to do payment plan though).

Phones do have to be Verizon CDMA compatible unfortunately.

CDMA likely won’t be phased out for another 2-3 years at least. So don’t expect that anytime soon.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI the Pixel 2 XL comes with 3 extra apps and is on promo for $300 off (have to do payment plan though).

Phones do have to be Verizon CDMA compatible unfortunately.

CDMA likely won’t be phased out for another 2-3 years at least. So don’t expect that anytime soon.

Thanks for this. I'm considering the Pixel 2 XL if the Moto G6 is a big :geno:. What 3 apps?

Can I sign up for the payment plan and then pay the whole thing in full after month 1?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

Thanks for this. I'm considering the Pixel 2 XL if the Moto G6 is a big :geno:. What 3 apps?

Can I sign up for the payment plan and then pay the whole thing in full after month 1?

Verizon mobile, Verizon messages, and one other one I can’t think of. You should be able to delete or disable.

Unfortunately Verizon will only give the credit over 2 years so customers don’t cut and run. So it’s $35 a month with a $12.50 credit over two years.

Still a good promo.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Verizon mobile, Verizon messages, and one other one I can’t think of. You should be able to delete or disable.

Unfortunately Verizon will only give the credit over 2 years so customers don’t cut and run. So it’s $35 a month with a $12.50 credit over two years.

Still a good promo.

Well that's annoying. I have more than enough :10bux: to buy the phone outright but I don't want to tie myself to Verizon any more than I have to because I despise CDMA and Verizon screwing me out of unlimited data back in 2015 or so when they started kicking everyone off. I only haven't jumped ship because of inertia and not upgrading my phone for the last 3 years.

Maybe I should look into Project Fi...

:sigh:

Thanks for your help though!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

hmmxkrazee posted:

Also be aware the TravelPass now has a 500MB/day limit before it drops you to 2G speeds since they've reintroduced unlimited data. May not impact you if you have easy WiFi access like in a hotel but it was very annoying with a cruise ship's port of call and lots of data to transfer.

For 10 days I'd probably look into a local sim as was suggested.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Still a good promo.

The Corp store I got my iPhone 8 from let me pay off the difference right away after trade in. Weird

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cuedotcom posted:

The Corp store I got my iPhone 8 from let me pay off the difference right away after trade in. Weird

Did you pay off $850 or $550?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

axeil posted:

I despise CDMA

Why?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Incompatibility with global phones, forces everything on Verizon to have it's own version that is usually not as good as the non-Verizon one.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Did you pay off $850 or $550?

I traded my pixel and got 370. Paid the remaining 450ish. Didn’t wait a month. Did it that day. No problems no questions.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

axeil posted:

Incompatibility with global phones, forces everything on Verizon to have it's own version that is usually not as good as the non-Verizon one.
Oh yeah the politics of it sucks. I thought you meant the actual CDMA aspect. Ive had better connections on Verizon than ever with the "fancier" phones that are GSM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cuedotcom posted:

I traded my pixel and got 370. Paid the remaining 450ish. Didn’t wait a month. Did it that day. No problems no questions.

Well, I don’t know, I would have to see the account to tell you how you got it (glad you did).

FRINGE posted:

Oh yeah the politics of it sucks. I thought you meant the actual CDMA aspect. Ive had better connections on Verizon than ever with the "fancier" phones that are GSM.

If I remember right, CDMA had some advantage like, 10 years ago (assuming whatever it was wasn’t marketing speak as well), but since at least 2009-2010 CDMA and GSM were equal. What wasn’t equal was the number of towers each carrier had. CDMA has a better connection more due to number of towers than anything else with Verizon.

Because trust me, CDMA with Sprint did not work quite as well.