Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Can I borrow your restroom? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Catburg

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I got a weird email from Verizon today that was appreciated. I currently have the 8gb plan.

The gist was "we can move you to unlimited for the same rate or down to the 5 gb plan and save you $30 a month"

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Hey Duckman -

Hoping you can help. I've been a Verizon customer for almost forever, getting inundated with calls from a Restricted number. Like 2x an hour 24x7.

I've spoken to two phone reps and one store rep and basically my options are $4.99/mo for the Smart Family app, block all inbound calls, or change my number for $99.

All 3 options are bullshit. I'm about to bail unless you can help me escalate.

Mucho thanks in advance

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Phone Rep #3 says I need to file a police report. How do I file a police report when there's no phone number?

Also, when asked if my issue is resolved at the end of the call - is laughable. Then telling me "sorry" in response to my answer is insulting.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah that’s hard, Verizon’s only option is $5 a month.

Did you try downloading a 3rd party app? Mr Number seems ok, that’s what I use for spam, although it’s def not perfect.

Not sure where you got change your number for $99, it’s $15 to change a number.

Let me try Mr Number - so far I've tried Hiya (it crashes when I get a call) and Should I Answer? (didn't block the call).

The only thing I can come up with on the quoted $99 was she was going to activate another line on the account :shrug:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

For what it's worth I've only had 4 spam calls so far today vs the 37 I had yesterday. So maybe somebody did something? :shrug:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm not going to recommend an affiliate because Duckman is so helpful here.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So what you are saying is no discounts on unlimited plans :haw:

(if it makes you feel better I had this same conversation with a coworker today)

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have an n9. I haven't used a headphone jack in years. The internal speakers seem decent as far as phone speakers go. :shrug:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

IuniusBrutus posted:

Has anyone recently bought a Verizon phone from Best Buy that was on sale?

I know purchasing direct from Verizon, if something is on sale they give you a bill credit every month over the course of 24 months. I've heard conflicting things about buying from Best Buy though - do they apply the credit that way as well? Or is it all at once when you purchase the device?

I bought an unlocked Note 9 from BB several months ago on sale. The unlocked version you paid the sale price up front, and could get 18 months no interest if you used the BB credit card. The Verizon Note 9 worked exactly like it does in the Verizon store.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

redeyes posted:

Pixel was that bad? Why?

Foreskin Problems

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Duckman2008 posted:

My bad. It’s been a long week.

In fairness, your employer has made mistakes like this easy to make

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

For whatever it's worth, I got the software update this morning for my S20+ and at least now have a 5G connection indicated more often than not. Prior to that, I pretty much had to be outdoors in specific spots to get 5G.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Duckman2008 posted:

Serious question, can you do some 5G speed tests and try and compare them to 4G speed tests ?

I'm not seeing substantive, consistent differences between the two bands in my current location. Both are running 100-125 mbps down and 25-30 mbps up.

I will say that there is one outdoor cafe I've been to a couple of times where I get the 5G icon and see 300-500 mbps down and 100 mpbps up, but the signal quality is all over the place depending on how I sit or hold my phone. I'll report back when I visit again.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 15, 2020

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I promised I'd come back with speed tests the next time I ate at the outdoor cafe where I'm getting ultrawide. The phone displays 5G uw and depending on whether I was facing east or west was getting 5 bars or 4 bars.

At 5 bars I saw down of 515 mbps and 138 mpbs up. At 4 bars I saw 127 mbps and 42 mbps. If I put the phone in my lap under the table it reverted back to regular 5G. I could latch on to uw with 3 bars inside at a window booth if I oriented the phone outward. And at 3 bars it's painful because it did a lot of jockeying between 5G with 5 bars and 5G uw with 3, seeing a net of 46 up and 11 down. I'm thinking of trying to build an IFTTT rule that locks out uw when signal is 3 bars or less. Whether I'll be successful is another story.

So everything they are saying is true - unobstructed signal strength is critical for uv benefits.

Completely anecdotal from a large midwest metro with Verizon on a Galaxy S20+5G.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

From what I've experienced, low band 5G has been equal to 4G speed wise, when I manually switch between them.

Both run about 100/50. I have no proof but I think Verizon is still building out the infrastructure locally, and is why we're not seeing the 200+ lowband and 1000+ uw.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The deprioritization is real if you're in a densely populated area. I run into that with AT&T in my car's $10/mo plan. Turning on my Verizon phone's Hotspot usually provides better speeds. The real benefit to the in car hotspot is signal strength.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

My trade kit arrived about a week after the new phone. I definitely would start a paper trail if it's been a week to make sure you get the right trade allowance.

Also chiming in to say Duckman is an MVP. He's super accessible and has helped me navigate issues over the years.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The branding here is not confusing at all :haw:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Not to be overly negative but I haven't had good luck with paid Verizon's Call Filter app.

Part of the issue is the scammers are moving faster than the technology. Part of the problem is Call Filter app for Android was built several Android releases ago and has been band-aided along.

It's better than nothing but not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I want to know who Marcellous is. I get about 8 of his text messages a day.