Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

sellouts posted:

Compared to AppleCare, which doesn’t offer much if any of a kickback given the price is equal to buying from Apple directly.

AppleCare also isn't going to do poo poo for you if the phone is lost or stolen, which if we're sharing anecdotes, seems to happen to my friends on a regular basis judging from the "does anyone have a phone I can borrow" posts I see on FB.

If you care about that, then getting Wireless Phone Protection might not be a terrible thing. If you don't, don't buy it. And don't poo poo on the person who offered a Verizon option to the person who said he already knew about AppleCare in the drat Verizon thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

hmmxkrazee posted:

What's the best option for international roaming? I'm going overseas (Korea) for about 10 days and was looking at the options and I guess TravelPass makes the most sense ($10/day)? I probably won't need to use it everyday (get by on wifi most days) but my wife probably will be using it daily which will come out to about $100 just for her. Add in a couple days for me and we're looking at close to $150 max.

The $25 a month international traveling plan looks okay (so it'd be $50 total for both of us) but the 100mb data limit is too small and we'll probably go over it. Overage charge of $25 per 100mb is pretty steep. Don't need talk or text.

Also be aware the TravelPass now has a 500MB/day limit before it drops you to 2G speeds since they've reintroduced unlimited data. May not impact you if you have easy WiFi access like in a hotel but it was very annoying with a cruise ship's port of call and lots of data to transfer.

For 10 days I'd probably look into a local sim as was suggested.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

tonic posted:

Would be nice to be able to transfer the line to the eSim so the physical sim could be used for travel.

Your travel SIM provider would need to be a carrier that supports Dual SIM Dual Standby as well I believe, and I’m not sure how great the benefit of having both is. If you’re roaming internationally with your Verizon SIM/eSIM active using something like TravelPass why would you want a 3rd party SIM, and if you don’t roam with Verizon the only benefit of not temporarily removing your Verizon SIM and swapping with the travel one is that I assume just disabling an eSIM won’t pull the number out of iMessage like removing a SIM does.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Hdip posted:

Why would I want to do that though? I am traveling to Italy in April and planned to just swap sim cards when I'm over there to make sure I'm not charged $10 a day and actually have enough data to use. Is it just so I don't have to worry about losing my sim car while I'm over there?

One reason for iPhone users is that when you remove and replace a sim with a different one, the phone as I recall deregisters the original number with iMessage and everyone will switch to normal text messages which won’t be delivered until you get back unless you use Verizon’s messaging app.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

The Bananana posted:

Going to St lucia, in the Caribbean next week for a week. Want use my phone for AT LEAST calls and texts, if not Data as well.

What are my options, how much are they, and how do I do em?

Thanks for any help

Another alternative is to just pay the $10/day for Verizon Travelpass where you keep your number for calls and texting and use the call/text/data allotment from your domestic plan. Although last I checked there was a daily 500MB data limit when roaming before it drops to 600kbps (which is part of the reason I swapped to AT&T). 7 days is pushing the limits of what I would want to spend to keep my number and not have to find a local SIM seller, especially if you’re staying in a single country so it’s only one SIM to buy.