Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

If you are doing the $400 off deal for black friday use WAIVE30 promo code for upgrades. Didn't do this and got charged an activation fee on an upgraded line :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

I was told by Sales and tier 1 Technical Support that an AT&T S7 Edge is not compatible on Verizons network because the antenna is different but everything I am seeing in Technical specifications shows it to be the same hardware and gated by firmware. Anyone got an idea which is correct? Ive got the firmware to flash and both the Verizon and Unlocked firmwares show all the correct bands will be enabled.

edit: they wont even give me a sim card to try and said it would be denied if I asked them to add the IMEI to the DMD list. From what I can tell I can port the number to my old S5 Verizon phone and get a sim card for that and dump the sim card into the S7 Edge for the path of least resistance?

schreibs fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 7, 2019

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

I mean, you can manipulate the system to get a SIM card. I could totally do that for instance. But I would have told you an ATT S7 Edge would not work on Verizon, and I would still stand by that.

Even if the bands match, you’ll get zero support for issues , so sure, you could get a SIM card, but unless you are perfectly lucky I don’t think it’ll end well, and Verizon won’t refund the service and act fee.

Thanks, will probably try to sell it and upgrade her to a different phone. Although I did flash it this afternoon and the device model is now SM-G935U. Does that change anything in regards to compatibility in your mind?

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

No, I don’t think it’ll work, and quite frankly it’s an old enough model where it’s also not worth it.

At least I learned a lot about backing up android phones and flashing firmware for Samsung devices :)

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Hed posted:

Economic Adjustment Charge :yum:

You joke but I save 10% through my company but am adjusted +15% for Plan Rate Adjustment with the dumb note "Due to rising operational costs, the rate for your current shared monthly plan is subject to a Plan Rate Adjustment increase."

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Duckman2008 is the most helpful goon on this forums

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

I got a 32.50 charge for a letter salad that I am unable to decipher and Verizon billing is closed. Anyone know wtf this is? SMA RAR HAM T WL B

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Thanks, got it all figured out!

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Nope, I bought some earbuds but had no idea thats what it was for given that line item on the bill

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Is there an issue with Verizon Wireless across the nation? I am on a family plan and my mom sent an email saying her phone wasnt working yesterday. I live a thousand miles away and my phone also stopped working off and on as did my wifes all on Verizon. I mean it could be a coincidence but drat if that isnt a little too much considering we haven't had issues for years.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Good luck but you are dead to me marketing scum! (I hope the pay is better!)

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Certainly would like if my phone wouldnt install "security updates" that were just bullshit games that Verizon was getting money off of

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

Assuming it’s probably a Samsung. My grandfather had an A31 that kept getting “updates” that did this. Nothing like a tech-illiterate grandparent having a panic attack because things showed up on their phone that they didn’t put there.

Yeah a Samsung S23. Im not tech illiterate but I loving hate apps on my phone. Give me the bare minimum and let me put on the ones I actually use not this shovelware poo poo.

Came to complain about the $4/mon extra tacked on for no reason but that seems to be beaten to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Nah you can still complain about bullshit rate hikes, I think it’s ridiculous.

What plan(s) do you have? I can tell you if you should stay on current plan or switch to the current ones.

I have the stuff I switched to less than a year ago. 3 plans, 1 5g Start, 1 5g Do more, 1 5g Play more. Horseshit they cant keep it the same for a year.