Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
How soon is it usually before Verizon has their iPhone XS pricing and trade-in values listed? I was planning on doing Apple Upgrade Program this year, unless Verizon is going to give me a great trade in on my old phone like they did 2 years ago with my 5S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I upgraded my wife’s phone at Costco, and the guy at the kiosk told us multiple times that he couldn’t waive the 30 dollar activation fee, but if we called Verizon that they would probably do it for us. Is that likely? Do I just call the main customer service line? Tell them it’s a billing issue I guess?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I remember looking at unlimited plans sometime last year and doing the math and discovering that they'd be more expensive for me, so I didn't pursue them further. But I'm finding myself more and more frequently using all my data in a month, so I decided to look into it again and now it looks like it might actually be cheaper? Unless I'm not reading something correctly.

I currently pay $64.40 ($70 minus a 5% access discount from my work and a 3% bonus access discount from ?????) for the 8GB large plan. Then I also pay $20 a month for "Smartphone access" for mine and my wife's phone. So, we're effectively paying $104.40 per month for both of our phones to share 8GB.

I'm not really interested in the goUnlimited plan because I don't want to be throttled just because it's busy (is that the main difference between the plans?), but it looks like the beyondUnlimited plan is $50 per line. Do I also have to pay the "Smartphone access" fees, or are those only for the non-unlimited plans? If the Smartphone access fee is eliminated, then it looks like I'd pay $100/mo for unlimited on both phones vs. the $104.40 i'm paying now for us to share 8GB. And that's not even taking into account the fact that it comes with Apple Music so I could potentially cancel my Spotify subscription.

Did I miss anything here? Would my 5% and 3% discounts just go away, or would they apply to the new costs? It seems like the unlimited cost is cheaper even than the 8GB plan with discounts, so maybe it doesn't matter. Thanks for any guidance you could give, Duckman!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

No discounts on unlimited. So your plan is currently

$64 + $20 + $20 = $104

Beyond unlimited for 2 people is $85+$85. The $50 is for 4 lines, as the other poster mentioned.

PM me, it’s possible you could have the option to go to the 16Gb plan, which with discount is $75+$20+$20 = $115. No guarantees, but I don’t mind checking.

I’m an idiot and took a promotion to management, so my turn around time on checking this can take a few days, as in you can PM me, but if I have a crazy crisis day I may forget to check. Otherwise, I don’t mind looking.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not looking to increase my bill right now. And even though I'm often up against the cap, I haven't actually exceed it yet. Thanks for the offer though!!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm thinking about switching over to Visible for the $40/month unlimited plan (side note: anyone used this and have any feedback?).

Currently my Verizon plan is my wife and I sharing the "L" size data bucket. I just want to switch myself over to Visible to try it out first before i switch her over. I'm pretty sure I need to go into a Verizon store and pay off the balance on my phone first. Once that is done, if I switch over my phone, will that gently caress up anything on my account? I can't tell from looking at my account if it lists my phone as the primary phone and removing that would screw things up, or if it's just two phones on an account and removing one of them will leave the other one intact. I can then switch her Verizon plan to the M or S sized data bucket while I try out Visible for a couple months.

EDIT: One other worry I had - I have this irrational(?) fear that something will get hosed up while porting my number to the new service and I'll lose my number, which would be extremely bad. Is this something that ever happens anymore, or have they pretty much got this sorted out? There's surprisingly little information to be had from googling about this topic, which hopefully means it's not something to really worry about.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 30, 2019

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Whether you get great service from a MNVO is definitely questionable.

These days, what really separates the MVNOs from the carriers? Seems like the only downsides are the customer service experience being more limited and the possibility for de-priorizitation of data traffic. Is that it?

I mean, back in the day I wouldn’t entertain the notion of switching because I’d have to pay an early cancellation fee to break my contract and then if the new service was not good I’d probably have to pay a fee to get out of THAT contract and then another fee to get back on Verizon.

But since the days of contracts are over (right?), it seems like there’s no disincentive to trying Visible for a couple months, and then cancelling and hopping back on Verizon if I find the quality of service lacking. Am I missing something here?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So the start Unlimited plan has no premium data, meaning you're susceptible to throttling during congested times at all times?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

DEUSFORORUM posted:

Hopefully this stacks since I just got done buying the 3 year deal.

I’m hoping this too but I doubt it does.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
After switching to Visible in July, I'm ready to switch back to Verizon so that I can actually have service that works.

I never switched my wife off Verizon, so I'm just going to be bringing my own phone to add as an unlimited line, and also switching her service over to unlimited.

Is there any discount or deal I can take advantage of for switching back to Verizon? Or would any deal just require also buying a phone from them? (which I suppose i could do if it's a screaming deal, but I'm also happy to just keep using my iPhone XS)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Am I crazy, or did you used to be able to get a $10 discount just by going paperless and enabling auto-pay?

Looks like at some point that changed so that you have to enable auto-pay AND use a debit card to pay the bill?

This sucks because I like to pay with my credit card to get phone insurance in lieu of buying AppleCare, but now it seems like doing this is basically costing me $10/month.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Looking at my Verizon bill, I think something is screwy.

I'm paying $80/month for my line which has "Play More Unlimited 5G UW" and $70/month for my wife's line which has "Start Unlimited"

According to the "plans" page - with two lines, those plans should be $70/month and $60/month, which overall is $20 less than what I'm paying.

The only reason I can think of for this would be if the discount for multiple lines means that all lines need to be on the same plan? If that is the case, then I should change my wife's plan to "Play More Unlimited 5G UW" (even though she doesn't have a 5G phone), which would make both of our lines $70/month and overall save me $10/month. Is that the case here?

Also, I see on my bill that I'm being charged $10/month for "5G Ultra Wideband Access" and then also getting a corresponding $10/month credit for 5G. What's the deal with that? I thought 5G was included on my overall plan. It doesn't really matter because it's not costing me anything right now, but I'm worried that credit is going to magically disappear one day and I won't notice.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ah, ok. That's where I was confused. I didn't realize the AutoPay discount was included in those prices. Well I just signed up for the Verizon Visa so I should be good with that going forward. Thanks!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Can someone give me the cliff notes version of all these articles about how Verizon (and ATT) are “turning on” their 5G networks today?

I live in NYC so I’ve had 5G the whole time and 5G-UW most times when I’m outside. Is this “new” 5G just supposed to be faster? Or is it just the same 5G I’ve always had, just now available in more places?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Thanks for that big long effortpost about the different flavors of 5G. It definitely helped clear things up!

Even after turning on the new network, I still don't have 5GUW in my apartment, just vanilla 5G. But I also live less than 2 miles from a major airport, so it's possible they haven't turned it on in my area yet.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol if you are literally under 2 miles from an airport you are in the very unlucky set that probably won’t get UW for like, years. They’ll fight that one for a long time.

I get 5GUW just fine when I’m outside, but I assume that just means the “doesn’t penetrate walls” flavor of 5G is also the “doesn’t gently caress with airplanes” flavor

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
They might not throttle but they definitely deprioritize. I had Visible for a few months but data was practically unusable unless it was like the middle of the night. Then again, I live in NYC. If you don't live or regularly go into a big city it's probably ok?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Do we know yet how the price increase of the Disney Bundle will affect the Disney Bundle included with the Get More (or whatever) plan?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does 5G Start count as a Premium Unlimited plan? My wife is on that and wants to upgrade from her XR, and getting $800 in trade in value sounds good to me.

Possibly silly question - the $800 trade in value is only good towards an iPhone 14, right? We wouldn't get the same value if we traded it in for a 13?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

. The iPhone 13 they are running a promo of $600 trade in on ANY unlimited, so you could also get the 13 with a good trade in on her start unlimited.

Are you sure about this? I'm seeing this on Apple's site when I go down the "Buy an iPhone 13" rabbit hole:

"Connect on a One Unlimited, Get More, Play More, or Do More rate plan to receive $600 total trade-in credit. Or get $300 total trade-in credit on a Start rate plan."

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

Stealing from Slickdeals, but if you have Verizon, you may be eligible for a free year of Netflix premium with a bundle of something else. Since I already had Netflix, this would pay for itself in six months.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16506664-netflix-premium-1-year-free-verizon-up-members-only-bundle-required-5-83-mo-minimum#comments

Calm and Netflix Premium $69.99/yr
STARZ and Netflix Premium $74.99/yr
AMC+ and Netflix Premium $83.88/yr
Super Duolingo and Netflix Premium $83.99/yr
Paramount+ Premium and Netflix Premium $99.99/yr
Peloton App and Netflix Premium $129.99/yr

$70 for a year of Netflix Premium is a good deal, and...I'd probably use the Calm app once and then forget about it.

I've still got half a month left on my current Netflix billing cycle - any idea if this promo will still be running in 2 weeks?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Not sure if this is more a Verizon question or an Apple/iPhone question - probably a bit of both.

I'm going on an international trip this weekend, and I do NOT want to use Travel Pass. It would be easier, but we're gonna be gone for 15 days, so it's just too expensive for the both of us vs. buying a local data-only eSim and using my Google Voice account in the unlikely event I need to make any calls.

Last time I did this, I completely turned off my Verizon line in the iPhone's settings and it worked fine with one exception. I thought I would still be able to use iMessage to chat with people back home since that entirely uses the data connection, but it didn't work at all. I'm guessing this is because the eSim that has the phone number associated with my iMessage account was turned off.

So this time - if I DON'T turn off the Verizon line completely, but I DO turn off "data roaming" on that line - will that still trigger the Travel Pass to activate on that line? And will that even accomplish what I want it to accomplish (still being able to use iMessage normally)?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Thanks for the info. I'm on the 5G plan that includes the Disney Bundle (5G Play?) for $70/month. As I understand it, the new plans are either the same price or more expensive, AND do not include the Disney Bundle, so I probably won't be switching until they force me to.

quote:

Travel pass hits when you use one bit of data, outgoing text or any answered or placed phone call, so it’s likely the phone will just mistakenly use your Verizon data.

Travel Pass sends me a text for every day it's activated, correct? I understand your concern that I accidentally get dinged, but as long as I have data roaming turned off in the Verizon eSim, AND as long as the phone itself respects that, I think I would be ok? As long as I don't accidentally answer a call or text someone that's a dirty green-bubble person? I might try it out for the first day, and if I get the dreaded Verizon "you've activated Travel Pass for today!" text, then I'll admit defeat and shut off the Verizon SIM entirely.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Hey Duckman, not sure if you’re still answering questions in your new position but here goes anyway:

I bought my wife a new iPhone today from the Apple Store. I had them do “post sale activation” because I’m giving it to her tomorrow for her birthday. Despite that, they still had to run it through my Verizon account and had me confirm a bunch of stuff, including the plan she’s on.

However, the plan it listed her as being on is not the plan she is actually on. The plan she’s actually on is 5G Start 1.0, but in the Apple rep’s Verizon app it said she was on something like “4G LTE Hotspot 1500” or something like that. I asked the Apple Rep, but he was pretty clueless when it came to Verizon questions and said all he could do is confirm the plan that was already there or change me to one of the new plans.

We confirmed the existing plan even though it was wrong, but I haven’t activated the phone and probably won’t until tomorrow or Sunday.

My question - when we activate the phone, will it let us keep the same plans that we’re currently on, or is it gonna force us to one of the new plans, or even worse, this mystery “4G Hotspot” plan?

My guess is that the “4G Hotspot” plan it said she was on is just a placeholder to signify a plan that is no longer offered, but if that’s the case, hopefully we can still upgrade the device without changing the plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Thanks for the info! Would you recommend we call that number before we do all the self-activation stuff on the phone? Or after just to confirm?