Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Crossposting from the Android thread:
My 25 day old Pixel 4 XL just completely stopped validating that I had a SIM card inserted, then after rebooting a couple times and removing and reinserting the SIM it registered on Verizon as my service provider, but was showing me not having any reception with an X on the signal indicator (I normally have great signal where I'm at). Should I get my SIM replaced already, or is this indicative of another issue? The SIM was new when I got the phone as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

It's working now, showing the normal reception and that I'm on LTE, so it may have just been a brief hiccup or something, but I'll try a SIM replacement anyway. Does Verizon charge for that? I know some carriers want like $25 for a new SIM card.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

New Verizon plans on the horizon. Probably gonna need a rundown on if people should or shouldn’t switch. From what I’m seeing presently it would be a terrible idea for me to change from my 5G Get More plan.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Follow up on the post I made in the “recommend me a phone” thread a while back about my grandfather’s phone. Are there no promos on iPhones for upgrades right now? He’s got an iPhone 6S Plus and it looks like maybe he’d get “up to $600” for trading it in and upgrading to an iPhone 13, but when I go through the process online it just shows the phone at full price.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

This might be too specific a question, but is there a compatibility list for the Verizon Call Filter app? I've used it on previous android and iOS devices, but it says it isn't compatible with my Xperia 1 V.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hey Duckman, I'm getting double billed for the Disney Bundle on my account. I've got an $18 account charge for it and then a $10 charge on one of my lines for it too. I've clicked around on the site and can't figure out a way to fix this on my own, I assume I need to call customer care :negative:, or worse go into a store?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This isn't VZW-specific, but anyone with Google Play Store Gold (or above) status might want to check their offers. Google is offering 40% off the Pixel 8, Pixel 8 Pro, and the Pixel Tablet, not model or storage specific, just 40% off blanket.

With 40% off and a $230 trade-in value on my Pixel 5, I'm getting an unlocked P8P 1TB for $656.78 after taxes (and pending their approval of my trade-in, which has been in a case since the day I bought it and is in near-flawless condition) and a whopping $2.98 off in Google Store credit. *And* I get ~$84 in Google Store credit because I'm on Google One at the moment.

Presumably newer phones would get more of a trade in credit. P7s and above seem to be ~$300-350.

Does this stack on top of the existing discounts Google is already offering on the devices, or is it in place of those?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

the_steve posted:

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Android thread, but, here we go.

I have a Motorola Edge Plus 5g UW on a Verizon plan.
My house is a deadzone.

For awhile, I had the phone set to use WiFi when the mobile network wasn't available, which is pretty much anytime anywhere inside my house, and that worked fine.

The other day, I upgraded my router to a Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 (the old one was also a Netgear, but I can't remember anything except that it was on Docsys 3.0 and capped out around 500mpbs)
Ever since I upgraded, my phone will not let me make calls or do any of the mobile stuff over wifi like it used to. I've tried every troubleshooting thing I could find online, which basically amounted to "Reset your network settings, disconnect/reconnect the wifi, reboot the phone"
Still nothing. Anytime I try to make a call, it says the mobile network is not available and I need to connect to a wifi network, despite the fact that I'm already connected to it.

I contacted Verizon tech support, and after trying the same troubleshooting steps, they said the issue must be on my ISP's end.
When I contacted my ISP about it, they said that made no sense and certainly wasn't a them problem.

Is there something else I can try? Or barring that, any recommendations on a cellphone booster?

This is 3 years old at this point, but my assumption is this is the problem:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Gateways/CAX-80-WIFI-calling-issues/m-p/2031537

It looks like the issue is on the the modem side of the device, not the router/AP side, and afaik ISPs handle firmware updates to the modem side of it while Netgear would handle the updates to router/AP side.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Duckman is the go-to here for this, but also curious if maybe the free watch is via bill credits and cycles were just off and the first bill credit hasn't hit the account yet? Have no idea about the rest of it though.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

It's cool that I tried to activate an eSIM on my iPhone 15 PM, which turned off the SIM in my Xperia, but it is now stuck on "Activating." So I can't call Verizon customer support on my iPhone because the eSIM isn't provisioned, and my Xperia can't call because it detects the mobile network is unavailable. So I call from another phone and get told that the call centers are closed so I can't speak to someone on the phone (it is 7:24pm CST). Meanwhile if I try to use online tools it insists on sending me a text message for access authorization, which I can't receive because neither of my phones now have activated SIM cards. Excellent system.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 10, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Yea it’s bad.

I assume you fixed it by now, but fyi dial (800) 392-0717 to get to care.

I have not been able to get it fixed yet. Just dealing with a cycle of the website/chat/app wanting to send me an online verification code to my mobile number that is currently not able to receive messages. I called 800-392-0717 from another phone and it says "Our Centers are Currently Closed" and hangs up.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 10, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

They should still be open, that’s weird.

Try calling sales at (800) 256-4646

Update: managed to get a chat support rep who understood the issue and got me fixed up. Took 40-ish minutes, but issue resolved. Am curious why call centers are closed at 7pm when the "Contact Us" page says open until 9pm.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

schreibs posted:

Certainly would like if my phone wouldnt install "security updates" that were just bullshit games that Verizon was getting money off of

AlexDeGruven posted:

Latest update for my P8P has nothing like that. What phone?

Assuming it’s probably a Samsung. My grandfather had an A31 that kept getting “updates” that did this. Nothing like a tech-illiterate grandparent having a panic attack because things showed up on their phone that they didn’t put there.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Well I have seen on Reddit people complaining about it happening on their Galaxy Flip/Fold devices even. There is some Verizon service on the phones that's hidden from the app list, but does show up if you go into the installed apps menu through the settings, that basically allows Verizon to back-door install stuff on the phones.

https://www.androidpolice.com/what-is-verizon-app-manager-why-does-it-keep-installing-apps/

fwiw this appears to only affect Verizon-sourced devices. So a factory unlocked phone, or a device originally from another carrier, shouldn't have this happen to them. I think it's related to the carrier specific-ROMs baking it in. Any time I've used a Samsung device from a carrier though, the first thing I've done was reflash it with the factory unlocked ROM.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 14, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

“We haven’t done anything to materially improve the service you’re receiving from us. Pay us more.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Branch Nvidian posted:

Hey Duckman, I'm getting double billed for the Disney Bundle on my account. I've got an $18 account charge for it and then a $10 charge on one of my lines for it too. I've clicked around on the site and can't figure out a way to fix this on my own, I assume I need to call customer care :negative:, or worse go into a store?

It has been months, I've tried repeatedly to get this fixed. I've been credited twice for the $18 charge at the account level. I can't remove it from my account because I'm not on a plan that includes the bundle perk anymore. Customer Service tells me to contact Disney about it, but Disney isn't billing me for that, they're billing me directly now via another payment method. I'm positive this is some BAN level SKU on my account, but no one seems to be able to remove it. I feel stupid making some kind of "I'm gonna take my business elsewhere!" statement, but also idk what to do since I'm being charged an extra $216 a year for something I'm now paying for on my own because that $18 isn't granting me access to Disney services.