Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there an end date on the Pixel 2 50%-off-with-trade deal? Last year there was a 50% off deal at Black Friday with no trade necessary, so I'm wondering if this is as good as it's going to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

zimbomonkey posted:

Is the throttling data cap for unlimited plans per line or per plan? Is it treated as a shared data bucket like the old family plans were?

It's per line, so each line has its own 22GB counter towards deprioritization and its own 15GB counter for tethering.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

clamiam45 posted:

Cool, I purchased a Pixel 2 XL yesterday, so I'm hoping they'll just give me the credit instead of making me return and re-purchase. Do you know how that works usually?

I did that last year. I just called in on that Friday and asked for a price adjustment.

They told me I'd start getting 24 months worth of bill credits, but what actually happened was I got the whole shebang as a single $325+ credit against my bill.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hdip posted:

Anyone know about this deal from Best Buy?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-pixel-xl-4g-lte-with-32gb-memory-cell-phone-very-silver-verizon/5656048.p?skuId=5656048

Pixel XL for 5 a month. Can I just go pay $120 and have a cheap but pretty decent phone to backup my old 6s+?

quote:

Total savings of $624.00 includes Best Buy instant discount and $17.91/mo. carrier bill for 24 months. Bill credits end when phone balance is paid off.

It used to be that when Best Buy ran a promo like this, they'd essentially make a down payment on your behalf, in which case you could pay $119 down on your side, have a $1 payment plan that you buy out as soon as you can, and be done.

But it looks like they've closed that loophole and it's 24 months of bill credits just like every other promo they run.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

The February unlimited plan was great, but it’s gone gone gone. Unless you have it already, the equivalent if Beyond Unlimited which is sadly just a little bit more.

I'd seen some people mentioning on Reddit that they were having success getting put onto the February unlimited plan even now, if (and only if) they are moving off of the grandfathered plan.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

hmmxkrazee posted:

With Treble and whatever, are updates supposed to be quicker eventually?
You're just seeing Google do a phased rollout, Treble won't fix that.

There is a bug at present that keeps the "check for update" button from bypassing phased rollouts and just giving you the update, though, and that will get dealt with after the holidays.

https://9to5google.com/2017/12/07/pixel-nexus-check-for-update-button-fix/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I am thinking of upgrading my wife to an iPhone 8 and taking advantage of the BOGO option to get my in-laws a smartphone. I didn't want to do this before because it necessitated trading in a phone, but it appears they've recently removed that requirement.

Suppose later on we exercise the annual upgrade option on my wife's phone and reset the installment plan, or just outright pay it off. Will that kill the bill credits?

The fine print uses the singular balance and line and not plural, so I'm assuming it's referring to the credits being applied against the "get one" line, but I don't want to go accidentally making a $350 mistake a year from now.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

My whole neighborhood has had mediocre-at-best service, and starting in the fall it looks like they began putting up those "small cell" sites.

The towers are plain old wood utility poles with what looks like an oversized coffee can bolted onto the very top, and they're building them out at like 1/3 mile intervals from one another. I noticed they must've finally switched them on, because yesterday I realized I was getting full bars on my phone at home when it was otherwise marginal.

I did a speed test from inside my living room and it pulled down 275Mbps, so I'm glad my Spotify won't go skipping anymore when I go on walks in the neighborhood.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is it a brand new, or less than 60 day old, iPhone 8+ and you can get AppleCare+ on it? Get AppleCare if so; it'll be cheaper when you consider Asurion's $199 deductible. Apple's deductible is $99.

Honestly given Asurion's high deductible and how likely you think you are to break the phone, you might be better off just putting the $13 in a jar every month and having a broken phone/new phone fund. After 24 months of Asurion you've paid nearly half the retail price of the phone, all to buy yourself the option to pay another $200 to fix it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

axeil posted:

Got an old Moto X from 2015 that's about on its last legs. Looking to buy a new phone (Moto G6 when it comes out, Pixel 2, literally anything that works, etc.) but I am trying to avoid Verizon's uh "helpful" forced application installs you get when you buy the phone direct from them. I will decide what apps I want on my phone, thank you very much.

If I buy from Amazon/Best Buy/etc. is the process still just "switch out SIM from the old phone" or is there CDMA fuckery going on?

Also any idea when CDMA will finally be deprecated and we'll have more (Android) phone choices?

If it says unlocked and works on Verizon (the Pixel 2 does, for instance), then you just put the SIM in and go. Any phone worth buying at this point in time already has an unlocked version like this.

FWIW, Android supports a feature that allows carrier-specified apps to be installed on the device the first time you boot it with a carrier SIM. IIRC, this results in My Verizon being installed on the phone, no matter where you bought it from. To avoid this, just set up the phone without a SIM in it, then put it in later. Or just uninstall the app after the fact.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JFC Verizon, it's "go above and beyond," not "go beyond and above."

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Some makers, Motorola and Google being two primary ones, work with Verizon and I assume Give them a list of IMEI ‘s of their unlocked phones that are compatible with Verizon. So non-Vzw when it comes up in Verizon’s system means that it is recognized and Verizon is saying it should work fine. It also means they can fully self program on their own.

In December I bought a Pixel 2 directly from Google. For about two weeks it showed up as "unrecognized device" or something to that effect, then became "Pixel 2 non-VZW." I imagine Google sends a big pile of IMEIs over from every production batch, and there was a delay in either Google sending them or in Verizon loading them into the system.

I feel like my line must be provisioned weirdly from then though, because any time I make a change to my account that would require a text confirmation code, the Pixel line isn't on the list of numbers to send the SMS. The other two lines on my account are unlocked iPhones purchased directly from Apple, and both of those lines are choices, but not the Pixel line.

Is there something I can ask customer service to do to fix this? I don't run into this often, but when I did, it was really annoying to have to call my wife at work and ask her what code she just got.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there a VoLTE flip phone that's better than any other? As much as I'd like to get my elderly mother in law a smartphone I think that would be an absolutely terrible idea for all parties involved.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Kyocera Cadence is really the only option unless you want a rugged one.

Here’s the thing, just as a warning, all the LTE flip phones run a bare bones version of android (no google software or play store). So the menus are somewhat configured for a flip phone, but honestly, not great. So I can navigate them fine, but a lot of my customers in the flip phone demographic have a lot of trouble with it.

Given that you basically can’t activate CDMA only phones anymore, it’s still your best option. For flip open, dialing and hitting call, it’s fine, and if you assign speed dials that also helps. Text messaging can be messy, especially if they want to delete texts, it’s really convoluted.

Thanks. At some level I realize that buying a flip phone in 2018 is about picking the least bad option possible, since at this point the US market for them is pretty much down to "people who work in secure government installations and can't have a camera" and "people over 75."

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Goober Peas posted:

change my number for $99.

That's certainly inconsistent with their own FAQ, see item #3.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Not sure where you got change your number for $99, it’s $15 to change a number.

That FAQ says it's free if you do it online, do they charge $15 if a human helps you do it?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I have the February 2017 unlimited plan, the maximum number of lines for that is still 10, right?

I realized there’s no point to my parents paying for an XL data bucket on their own if I can just add them to my plan for $40.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Have corporate store employees had their responsibilities taken away, to the point of just being allowed to sell phones and permitted to do nothing else?

Made some time to go to a store with my father to bring my parents' lines onto my account. I assumed showing up in person would've been easier because they could just pull up the accounts, confirm our photo IDs, and do the transfer.

The guy behind the counter points down at his POS iPad and says "so, uh, bad news, they don't let us do assumption of liability in-store anymore." He writes an 800 number on a post-it, and hands it to us. Didn't outright say it, but he was politely implying that the post-it is the extent of any help we'll get in the store. I believe the dude that his hands are tied, this isn't a complaint about him in particular, just that he's not empowered to actually do anything.

The cherry on top was that we went back home, got annoyed, realized we could've done it online in the first place. That part is what we get for going to a corporate-owned phone company store expecting to do business with the phone company.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What's the story about iPhone eSIM activations?

I asked in online chat to migrate my physical one to the eSIM in my XS; and I was told that they couldn't do that. My options given were that they could only either move another existing line I have onto the eSIM, or sell me a new line to put onto it.

Does the system still see it as the same device, and not let you do a switch as a result?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Grab some Amazon Basics or Monoprice cables with USB-A on one end and USB-C on the other.

None of your old fast charging stuff will fast charge the Pixel. However there’s a fast charger included in the box. If you want more, look for a USB-C charger with “power delivery” like this one. You’ll need a cable with USB-C on both ends.

https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Charger-Compatible-Nintendo-Included%EF%BC%89-x/dp/B017I7EX46

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Target has the Pixel 3 XL with a $450-off-upgrade promo.

The $450 is reflected as a down payment and not a monthly bill credit. I threw $150 of my own in as a down payment so it's showing $600 paid off already.

Per Slickdeals this ends up stacking with the current $300 bill credit promo going on now with Verizon as well (they've called after ordering and asked if they'll be getting the credits), which is why I bought it down to $300. If it does actually stack then I'm paying nothing more for this phone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

The Verizon $300 off ended yesterday (Monday). That being said, sometimes dealers/national retail have different promos, so I could also be wrong, and obviously even $450 by itself is a great promo.

Verizon still seems to be advertising it on the web; the Pixel 3/XL product page still shows $300 off there:

quote:

Get $300 off. No trade-in required.
Up to $1,029.99 device payment purchase required. Less $300 promo credit applied to account over 24 mos; promo credit ends if eligibility requirements are no longer met; 0% APR.

edit: I confirmed in chat that the purchase qualifies for the "Google Pixel Valentine's Day" promo. So, seems like the deals stack and provided I stick out the 2 year plan (I have no reason not to), I got a Pixel 3 XL for $150 then.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 19, 2019

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

fordan posted:

Another alternative is to just pay the $10/day for Verizon Travelpass where you keep your number for calls and texting and use the call/text/data allotment from your domestic plan. Although last I checked there was a daily 500MB data limit when roaming before it drops to 600kbps (which is part of the reason I swapped to AT&T). 7 days is pushing the limits of what I would want to spend to keep my number and not have to find a local SIM seller, especially if you’re staying in a single country so it’s only one SIM to buy.

Last time I traveled out of the US, I was gone for a week but only wound up doing the Travelpass maybe 3-4 days. Wifi was prevalent enough where I went that I just kept the phone in airplane mode and let wifi calling kick in.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

These new plans are confusing. The value comparison between the top and bottom-end plans is clear for sure, but I had to really study the chart to figure out what exactly is different between "do more" and "play more."

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Does the 50% off "companion device" with the Get More option apply only to tablet/hotspot, or would that also knock an Apple Watch charge down to $5/month?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Can existing customers self-service activate an eSIM yet, or must one still call in and get a rep who hasn't been trained on how to do it?

Last time I tried it I had three different reps give me three different answers:

1. What's an eSIM? No, we can't do that for you
  2. Sure, it'll take 24-48 hours before you can activate on the phone, here's your QR code (nothing worked 48 hours later)
  3. You'll have to talk to telesales to open a new line for your eSIM, let me transfer you

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So I tried to have a chat rep move my line over to an eSIM two weeks ago, on an iPhone 11. They had a hell of a time doing it. They said their workflow required them to send a verification message to the line in question, but the system was not allowing it for whatever reason. They got a supervisor to override it, the eSIM "activated," and then I had no working data or phone service with the eSIM.

I went through the self-service activation flow to put service back on the physical SIM and thought this misadventure was behind us.

I noticed now that my line now says it's under a 2-year contract ending 9/21/2021, 2 years from the date we were screwing around with this. This is an unlocked SIM-free model bought from Apple so it's certainly not a contract phone and I don't even know how you'd start a new 2 year contract with one of the current unlimited plans.

I want to get this straightened out somehow. Is this the fault of their "override" and can a store rep fix it? Or is this one of those situations that I'll go to a store, and they'll just hand me the phone while telling me to talk to a service person?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

I got an additional 15 GB of tethering to my unlimited plan. Pretty amazing they were able to find a way to let me use more of my unlimited data!

Is that supposed to show in your account somewhere? My "Get More" line still shows the same 75GB on-device and 30GB tethering allowances.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there an unwritten service promo regarding the cellular Apple Watch? I bought it on sale on Amazon end of April. My first bill since then, all I've been charged for is the taxes on the line. Not complaining about free service and no activation fee, but wondering how long the free service is gonna last.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Got a SIM-free iPhone 12 last week. I was coming from an iPhone 11 with a SIM that was 3 or 4 years old, so I ordered a new 5G SIM for that line online.

When the SIM came I set it up on the iPhone 12. Then a few minutes later got a text that said something to the effect of "we noticed you changed your SIM, use you should use the 5G one that came with your phone."

Is this just some automated process that triggers on SIM changes and I can ignore that message, or did I not actually activate the new 5G one right?

The iPhone itself says 5G in most places and not LTE, but outside of UWB areas (where it's holy crap fast), I don't see any real difference in speed.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

DrDork posted:

Also use SMS Backup and Restore app to backup and move all your text and MMS messages. Google's built in backup solution is highly likely to not work the way you think / want and will lose you a lot of stuff if you're not aware of what it's actually doing.

Cosigning this.

I recently spent some time helping a friend of mine who had a bunch of messages he's been carrying from phone to phone, except this time built in Google's transfer functionality decided to not work. He had years of messages with his mother who passed away this spring, and none of the official Google methods would work, be it direct device-device transfer with a cable, or the cloud backup you get if you pay for Google Drive.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

I'm trying to add an Apple watch to my plan, but the app keeps getting hung up on my E911 address. I've tried a dozen or more variants of my address (Ave/Avenue, St Louis versus Saint Louis, with and without the apartment number), and it's no longer fun. I want to place the order online (either through the website or the app) because there's a $150 promo code that presumably wouldn't be usable in-person. Any suggestions on how to persuade Verizon that I know my home address?

One thing to try is to put your address into here, it spits out the USPS standardized version of your address. IIRC at one point I couldn't actually get wifi calling to activate until I used this to get an address that the E911 address verifier would accept.

https://tools.usps.com/zip-code-lookup.htm?byaddress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you’re like me and had trouble activating your iPhone 13 now that they use eSIM instead of shipping a SIM in the phone, you can call *611 and tell the robot “eSIM activation.”

I waited about 3 or 4 hours and my new phone wouldn’t activate. I called in, you get a recording telling you to turn off the new phone, that you’ll be abruptly hung up on mid-call, and to turn your new phone back on two minutes after that.

It went exactly like that, and then when I turned the new phone on, it was all good to go.