Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The pixel 3 is definitely fancy, but I'm frustrated that my charging cable world is turned over again. Can I find usbc cables that have one USB end, for charging my phone off my PlayStation or chargers I already have? My last phone used that fast charging gimmick but it seemed to kill a couple devices I used them with, are those chargers off limits? I thought of all this poo poo two minutes after I left the drat mall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Pixel 3 should come with a USB-C to USB-C cable as well as a USB-C to USB-A one. As for the USB-PD chargers, yeah - that's still a clusterfuck. Especially for a car charger.

kitten smoothie posted:

Grab some Amazon Basics or Monoprice cables with USB-A on one end and USB-C on the other.

None of your old fast charging stuff will fast charge the Pixel. However there’s a fast charger included in the box. If you want more, look for a USB-C charger with “power delivery” like this one. You’ll need a cable with USB-C on both ends.

https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Charger-Compatible-Nintendo-Included%EF%BC%89-x/dp/B017I7EX46

Awesome, thank you both! There's a C/C cable in here, along with a female A/male C adaptor, so along with the miscellaneous cables I've got lying around I can probably make this work by picking up a couple A/C cables for the random places in my house I end up sitting with my phone. They actually threw in a car charger because I bought a case and screen protector, so that might be ok.

I'm probably most offended by the lack of an audio port but I guess that's the thing now (plus it came with a little adaptor, plus get some Bluetooth headphones already sheesh). I'll shelve the old fast chargers I have out of an abundance of caution. As for the 2.0s I've collected over the last few years, heck, now I have a couple ten foot dedicated PS4 controller wires. Maybe more than a couple.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 6, 2019

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I hear ya, but USB C is a change for all phones, so I would just mention it isn’t necessarily just the Pixel that is forcing it.

I would think older wireless fast chargers still fast charge the pixel 3.

I’m going to have to recheck the pixel box, I didn’t think the Pixel 3 (or 1 / 2 ) came with a USB A to C, just one C to C.

Edit: beaten by the post above. Looks like it comes with one adapter.

I don't even care if it fast charges it, it's just that I've murdered the battery in at least one controller and one of those charging banks trying to fast charge them like an idiot so I didn't want to do the same thing to this phone, haha

E oh, wireless fast charging--I've actually never messed with wireless charging, but I read a few minutes ago Google only lets the pixel fast charge wirelessly off of their proprietary charger mat..pad...cradle...thing

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 6, 2019

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

First, thank you for this thread. It's awesome to see a person truly dedicated to helping people to the point that they could be playing a video game or whatever, but they're here helping get everyone up and running.

Second, my sim card is driving me nuts. It keeps shutting off semi-randomly, so I get wi-fi but my phone won't recognize mobile data. Popping the card out and back in and then restarting will get me going again 99% of the time. Level 2 customer service got me up and running the other night with that restart procedure and reprovisioning the card from their end (or not, that's the sort of thing a worse version of me used to say to customers when they just needed to restart a device but didn't believe it would work). Interestingly, I'm posting this after just blowing into the slot before replacing the SIM card, no restart.

What's your instinct here: busted card, busted phone, or some kind of ethereal server side thing?

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 2, 2024