Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sellouts posted:

Yeah I can’t say having a phone stolen or go missing is something that has happened since the iCloud stuff was rolled out in either organization I’ve worked for, which is anecdotal but across over 100 people.

I mean, cool I guess, but not seeing the value proposition for anyone except the guy who posts the thread and works for the company offering it.

Also, the number of accidental damage or general problems that required a trip to the Apple store are very, very frequent.

That's cool, I had one stolen after the iCloud lock and it didn't get recovered, so there's a counter anecdote. It's not like they're worthless - they can still be harvested for parts.

(This is not to be for or against Verizon insurance. That's up to the individual. My renter's insurance covers lost/stolen phones so Verizon's isn't necessary to me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Refurb" doesn't matter for sale/trade-in since it's either new or not. I would recommend getting it unlocked by AT&T and selling it on Swappa. You can probably still get like $100 if the screen is fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The iPhone and Pixel will both work on Verizon, but I would be very surprised if the S7's would.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not really. It doesn't have CDMA support, which doesn't technically matter anymore, but it's also missing LTE band 13, which is their main one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not sure you should hold your breath for iPhones SE to come back in stock. They're not being sold by Apple, so I doubt resellers are going to be getting any. Even with that in mind, I believe prepaid Verizon phones have to be activated on prepaid for 90 days or something before you can move it to postpaid (Duckman2008 would have a better idea there).

There's not really any phones at all in that size that are worth noting beyond maybe some Sony that's going to be substantially more expensive. I hate to say it, but she probably needs to suck it up and at least get an iPhone 7.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have roughly half my device payments to go on my iPhone X. If I leave Verizon, the balance is due immediately, correct?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Got a question:

I'm currently on the Verizon Unlimited plan for $80/month, which includes the $5 autopay discount. I see the current Beyond Unlimited plan now offers free Apple Music and is $85 including the autopay discount. As far as I can tell, these plans are otherwise equivalent. Is this correct? I use around 10-15 GB of data per month, so the 22 GB soft cap is fine either way. In any case, I use Apple Music, so saving another $5 a month would be nice, but I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I'm missing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thanks! I'm more likely to switch to another carrier than I am to add any lines, but that's good to know.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Seems to have worked for me. I switched plans through the app, cancelled Apple Music in iTunes, then signed up in the Verizon app. When I clicked the link, it took me to the Apple Music app which told me I now had two subscriptions on my account and to cancel one (which I already did, but that one's good for another couple weeks). Cool. Now I can afford Starbucks once per month.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Nice. Saved all your Apple Music and playlists?

Yeah, that's all attached to your Apple/iCloud account, so it doesn't touch it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My IPhone X still provides a transcript for my voicemails but I thought that was only for a temporary time.

Does Verizon provide that for all IPhones?

That's an iOS function that Verizon has no part in other than the visual voicemail bit.

(Or, to clarify, VM transcripts require VVM which all iPhones on Verizon get, but your iPhone does the actual transcription, not Verizon.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just wish there was an easy plan comparison. As far as I can tell Play Unlimited is the same as Beyond Unlimited for $5 cheaper and you can get free 5G if you're dumb enough to buy a 5G phone?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Old plan: Beyond Unlimited: $90, $85 with autopay. unlimited, 22GB premium data, 15GB hotspot, 720 video, Apple Music includes.

They essentially split this plan, so both have removed features:

Play Unlimited: $90, $80 with autopay. 25GB premium data, 15GB hotspot, 720 video, Apple Music

Do More: $90, $80 with autopay. 25GB premium, 15GB hotspot, 480 video, 50% off a tablet or jetpack line.

So essentially, they did lower the plan by $5 as long as you do autopay (which as I’m sure you can guess most customers don’t do), but you essentially have to choose do you want Apple Music and 720 video, or do you want half off a connected line (which of course only makes sense if you have an iPad with a SIM or whatever).
Yeah, I'm still not seeing what is different between Play and Beyond unless I'd be losing cloud data I don't use and will never use. Even your two lines there list no difference other than offering slightly more data and being slightly cheaper. The Do More is clearly a different plan and not anything I would want. Here's what the website shows me as a comparison:

I realize this is all intentionally confusing, but it really just looks like I get 3GB more fast data and pay $5 less.

(Also BIG HEADLINE is very right that even comparing plans is really bad UX and makes it look like you're changing without an actual confirmation.)

EDIT: Reddit put together a useful chart on if you should switch. It seems clear that if you're on Beyond you should switch to Play or Do, but if you're on Above it's less clear.
https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/cl8trx/new_plans_should_you_switch/

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 6, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

In fairness, your employer has made mistakes like this easy to make

Almost like they deliberately want to confuse consumers...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just make sure you know your account password or PIN. Should be pretty easy and the Verizon rep will guide you through it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yo Duckman, I am getting an iPhone 11 Pro and want to activate my service on the eSIM, but this Reddit comment says you can't use device insurance if you do? Is that correct?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's dumb as gently caress, but I guess I'll hold off. I don't *need* the eSIM, it just sounds fun.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I just wanted to be in the future and also be able to dual-wield foreign SIMs like liquid metal extensions of my arms. I guess I'll worry about it next time I travel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whoa nice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yo Duckman: what does adding a tablet to my account cost and what do I get? I'm considering getting a cellular iPad Pro, and want to be able to add it and remove it as necessary, if possible. Does it come out of my regular data or is it a separate cap? I can't find any info on it at all. I have one of the current unlimited plans.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Let me know what specific plan you have. In a nutshell, it’s $20 a month for unlimited data (I’m pretty sure you have some unlimited plan). Depending on what you have, if you go to Do or Get more, you get $10 off, just a question of whether it’s worth it.

This weekend was absolute insanity, so I don’t know the promos this week, but it’s usually $100 off the iPad if you do payment plan, $200 off if you’re buying a phone.

How often are you thinking of adding and removing it ? 2 things to consider: any promo will drop if you remove it, and there’s a $40 act fee each time (assuming you can’t get care to waive it, and $20 if you activate through online).

Let me know and I’ll iron out the details. As always, I can provide a referral code or whatever if needed.
Best Buy had them for $200 off without a plan, so I got that. In any case, if I have to pay an activation fee, gently caress that. I'll just find some prepaid something or other. I'd probably only have it connected a few times a year, so it definitely won't be worth paying for monthly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Len posted:

Since data clearly isn't as expensive as they've made it out to be are they going to rework data plans and lower prices after this is over?

lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got an additional 15 GB of tethering to my unlimited plan. Pretty amazing they were able to find a way to let me use more of my unlimited data!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My partner and I are moving in together in the near future and are looking at ways to reduce our costs and simplify bills and such, and are talking about getting a combined plan. I'm currently on Verizon and she's on AT&T. It would likely be simpler for her to move to my plan just because I have a year left on my phone payments, while hers is paid off. She has an iPhone 8 which I *think* she should be able to just pop a Verizon SIM in and it'll work, but worst case, she can trade it in or use my old iPhone X. (I told her we should wait for new iPhones, regardless, since carriers may be offering trade-in deals or whatever).

Anyway, are there any deals to be had? She needs unlimited everything, but beyond that doesn't really much care. I have one line on Play More Unlimited. Looking at the website, it looks like it would be $70 per line for the same plan.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Does she want the new iPhones ? An iPhone 8 trades in for $850 towards a Pro or Pro max, plus you get a $150 gift card (as long as you do Play unlimited for both).

Truthfully, I don't think she cares and would be perfectly content to not pay any extra money for a new phone as she is, in her words, rough on phones and would rather just wait it out until she inevitably breaks this one lol.

That's a really good promo, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Unbelievable.

Has it always been like this or is it because net neutrality was gutted?

Net neutrality never applied to cell plans, anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Okay, so:

My partner is likely going to switch from AT&T to my account. If I open the Verizon site not logged in, it offers a free iPhone 12 via a $550 trade-in (she currently has an iPhone 8. so should be fine) and a $250 switching bonus using a promo code. (There's also a promo for a copy of the Avengers video game which would be cool.) When I log in, it only seems to offer the former, and it doesn't seem to accept the promo code. Does the switching promo only work for brand new accounts, not switching to a new line on an existing account?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s for add a line, so existing is fine if it’s an add a line.

What plan are you on ? The promo requires one of the premium plans, so Play More, Do More or Get More.
I'm on Play More. I assume she'll be doing the same.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There are no other SMS/MMS apps on iOS. iOS sandboxes SMS/MMS to iMessage. Unless you mean messenger apps more broadly, in which case, good luck!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Congrats on the new role! You're a super help and I'm happy to use your code when I buy things.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maduin posted:

I realize the answer is probably, 'Eh, who knows!?' but how likely is it that Verizon keeps this $700 device trade-in deal around after the new iPhones are released? We just moved and need to drop AT&T for Verizon, but I'd rather not buy an iPhone 12 right as it's about to be obsoleted.

The answer is probably 0%, but I hope it's 100% since I am in the same boat. I'll still take whatever they'll give me for my iPhone X, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Same thing, you need help and / or a referral, let me know. I can even be fancy and even call and help you order directly if need be.
I might take you up on that! I may hold out until Black Friday, if the promo at launch isn't great. I just had my iPhone 11 Pro replaced under warranty so I have a fresh battery and am not really needing it immediately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So, Apple will give me $700 off an iPhone 13 Pro with trade-in of my iPhone X, and use the Verizon monthly payments (to bring it down to $9.99/month for 30 months). Is it safe to assume Verizon will have a similar deal if I order direct from them? I have something like $150 in device dollars I'd like to use, but if there's not as good a deal, I'll just order from Apple (but it seems strange that Verizon wouldn't offer the same deal) and use the device dollars on a Watch or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI the Verizon iPhone 13 promo is $700 trade in towards the 13 mini, $800 towards the 13 or higher.

New and upgrades , uncommon upgrades get that high.

Trade in has to be iPhone X or higher, the 8 / 8+ and lower get a lower trade in of about $300-350. Damage does not affect trade in value.

Have to be on a “premium unlimited” plan.

If anyone has any specific questions post or PM. If anyone is ordering via Verizon online feel free to PM and I can send a referral code, or I can call and help you order it directly.

Awesome, DMing you my phone number and one last question

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

So here’s a new thing. FYI Verizon is opening up for online (and only online) preorder….before the preorder for the 13. Starting at 1201am Thursday, you can place an online preorder for whichever one, and if I’m ready it right it basically queues your pre order up where it does not go through Thursday, but then auto processes on regular pre order time which I believe is Friday at 8am eastern.

Sounds like Apple is doing it (I don’t know if they did this last year), def the first year Verizon is doing it.

I can’t do orders on Thursday, but I can send referral codes for it.

This isn't working. It's not 12:01 PST or something is it? Guess I'll check again in the morning.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

UPS still says Friday for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I do not even have a tracking number to search for.
They emailed mine Sunday. Hold onto your butt, I guess!

Somewhat more interesting is it seems they're shipping "with" virtual SIMs now, and I missed Apple saying iPhones 13 can use two virtual SIMs, which is good to know. (I was going to ask about getting a physical SIM in case I go international, but I guess I won't need it!)

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 23, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I usually get the device dollars. I had $145 by the time I upgraded, and between that and the trade-in promo, my phone was like $150.

Speed will vary based on about a billion factors, but you know that. I just tested at 300 Mbps down in my house which is plenty fast for anything I do on my phone. :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

manwithoutskin posted:

Is anyone else having trouble getting their trade in box for the iPhone trade in promo? I did not receive a box when I ordered. I manually requested one myself after that and did not receive one either. I then spoke to a rep on the chat, who confirmed my address, and confirmed another one would be sent, and I still haven't seen it. My email states I have about 10 days to keep my promo and if they are firm with those dates I'm going to be pushing it. Not sure where to go from here.
My iPhone came with a padded envelope and a return shipment label. I didn't get a separate box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kensei posted:

On the Best Buy website, it said that the trade in for my Pixel 6 Pro could not be damaged, but I thought Verizon was taking anything back that turned on and was not locked via 'Find my phone' or whatever, so I did my purchase without a trade. Can I call VZW Customer Service and get a trade in started after the transaction?

Best Buy trade-in is not Verizon trade-in, is the long and short of it.