Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
What's my recourse, if any, when it seems like my local cell(s) are having data network problems? Looked around VZW's support site but there's nothing useful there, it all wants to pretend it's my phone's fault. Going by the OP I'm wondering if calling the Tier 2 support line would get me any answers (or be providing VZW with any useful feedback.)

It feels like network-level congestion or some recent degradation of network config/equipment to me:
  • Prior to a couple months ago, everything worked normally, both data and non-data.
  • Since then, the phone continues to register LTE signal, but actual network connectivity is gone; everything simply times out as if there's significant packet loss or very high latency. Web, Twitter, games, other apps, etc.
  • Non-data uses continue to work same as before - phone calls, non-iMessage texts, etc.
  • Affects my phone & my wife's phone equally (both iPhone SE on iOS 11.)
  • If we travel far enough away from our home neighborhood, data works again. For a while this had a very clear boundary and thus felt a lot like a single tower was screwed up.
  • Recently, the issue appears to have spread to a second nearby tower, though at least in this case the 2nd cell just feels extremely latent and not completely defunct.
  • It seemed better for a couple days after a neighborhood-wide power outage (:v:) but has quickly reverted to its prior malaise.

So again the main question is just...is there anything I can do about this at all or am I just at the mercy of whenever VZW notices or decides to allocate resources?

It's gone on long enough that I'm pondering switching providers again (ironic given when I moved here 7 years back, I had to switch from T-Mo because they had a permanent dead spot in my new apartment...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Duckman2008 posted:

All I know is I would call tier 2 tech support for sure, do whatever trouble shooting , have them file a ticket. If it keeps being an issue, I don’t know if I have an answer beyond ask to be let out of your payment plan or switch service.

Thanks, that's about what I expected - was mostly making sure there wasn't something obvious I was missing. Will see what that drums up.