Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Google home mini for (technically) $20, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s probably likely that from now on significant phone discounts are going to require Unlimited, isn’t it? I kind of got that hunch when the iPhone 8 came out in September.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Verizon’s web site says they’d give you $66 for a 32GB ATT 5S in good condition. I don’t think you missed out.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

TheWevel posted:

My wife is on the S plan and it's $35 for the plan, $20 for 'line access', and taxes. So minimum you're looking at $55.

Any discounts you get will go towards the plan and not line access.
This is correct, we have the same plan. So his data plan would be $28, or $48 total (plus fees and taxes).

Also Clark about the “ive only gone over 2GB once” for info that discount is applied if you kick it up a tier for a month. So, instead of 4GB being $15 extra, for you it would be $12 extra. Also you get one month of unused data rollover.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duckman2008 posted:

Now, the current best launch promo was the iPhone 7 2 years ago. Which was literally free for a bit.
You would obviously know better than I do, but I don’t remember that (or was it only for new customers?).

I do remember they copied the “iPhone 7 for $10/mo for 24 months” that T-mobile started, which was awesome enough for me.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Taxes and fees will probably be about $20, roughly.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
“Will Verizon/Target help me get my phone fixed in a way that doesn’t leave me phoneless for days?”

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

OldSenileGuy posted:

I remember looking at unlimited plans ...
I am obviously not Duckman, but that plan is only $50/line if you have four lines. Change the slider to two lines and it’ll show $80/line. Looks like it’s basically a flat $120 plus $20/line.

As far as I know, all discounts go away on unlimited plans except for military discounts.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That’s what I’ve always done in the Caribbean. (A whopping three times). Looks like Digicel operates in St. Lucia. I used them in Jamaica for cheap and it was all smooth. Needed to show a passport to sign up.. https://www.digicelgroup.com/lc/en/mobile.html

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Looks to me like go unlimited is the only new option that will make your bill lower by more than a couple of bucks (assuming your current $182 includes taxes and fees).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yo Duck, I got a question about cancelling insurance. Guy at the store told me to do this, but I’m just looking for confirmation.

Basically about 3 weeks ago my out of warranty iPhone 8 showed a problem that required a repair/replacement. Guy at the store said it was an open enrollment period for $13/mo warranty extension (insurance?), and I could sign up for that, get a “free” replacement, then cancel if I wanted. Did that, new phone is fine, got an email from Verizon about two weeks ago that they received the old phone, and no communication since then (didn’t expect any). Haven’t rolled over to a new billing cycle yet. Is it safe for me to cancel the insurance right before my next cycle date?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
We’re going to be traveling this week and are on a shared data plan. Does the 12GB plan still exist if you call in and ask for it?

Alternatively, can you use the “$10 to gift a gig” thing and gift it to yourself?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks Duckman, but it’ll be a hectic trip and rigging stuff isn’t going to work well. We may not even go above 8, but if so I’ll probably just eat the $15 for another one, or if it looks like we'll need more just switch to unlimited for a month then switch back.

I assume I can switch back to shared next month, right?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If i were to switch, I’d do Play. I don’t care about the streaming rate, but we already pay for Apple Music and 25 GB would be more than enough.

I assume the 25GB is a shared bucket for a family plan? If it’s individual lines, then it’d be beyond overkill for me.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Duckman, your comparison has a mistake — Do More is 50GB of premium data.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Keystoned posted:

Is there still a plan fee and a per line fee, or did the plan fee go away and get replaced w/ scaling line fees?

When i look at the plan plan for five lines it quotes me $50 ler line for $250 total. Is that right?

Also is there an autopay discount per line and if so what would that be in total.

Can you add more than 5 lines? At some point ill likely add at least one more.
When it says $50/line that’s the total (except taxes and fees).
Autopay discount is $10/line, which is already included in the $50 (that is, before autopay kicks in, its $60/line). It shows the autopay discount in real tiny letters just under the thing where you choose the number of lines.

Now I have two questions: it says something like “after 15 GB mobile hotspot data is throttled to blah blah”

1) is that throttling after 15 GB of hotspot data use, or any data use?
2) if it’s hotspot use, how can you see hotspot use for a line? I can’t find it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ok, but where in the app?

My problem may be on the data page there’s a forever spinning blue/green circle for each line on the overview page. The details page doesn’t show a category for hotspot.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh crap it’s showing up now. I swear it wasn’t a half hour ago. Thanks.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m not an employee, but right off the bat the postpaid one gives you:

More unthrottled data
Hotspot capability and 15GB of unthrottled hotspot data
An Apple Music subscription
No charge calls, texts, and data to and from Mexico and Canada vs, just calls to those two countries.

It probably seems more lopsided than usual because it looks like the prepaid is running a double data deal, and usually it’s only 8GB for that price.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes on the $20 line fee.

There is a legend about a 12GB plan still existing, but I wouldn’t count on it.

For info, if you decide on the 8GB plan and it doesn’t quite cut it occasionally, instead of paying the overage of $15/GB, you can buy a $10 1GB “gift” and give it to yourself.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Other way around. Discount on the data bucket but not on the $20 fees.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Any idea why we got a credit on our bill for the entire line access charges plus tax? Is this some sort of promotion in December or something?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah beats me. Our (shared data plan) charges have been constant and correct for four months. Things were really weird in July and August when we switched to unlimited briefly, but I remember thinking that all evened out in the end.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Fees and taxes went down? Ours is showing about $2 less per line.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

AdmiralViscen posted:

Why would anyone do Play More?.
It has base Hulu and ESPN+ in addition to Disney+.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duckman2008 posted:

So only disclaimer, 5G phones now need a 5G SIM.
Now need a 5G SIM period, or just need it to use 5G?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My wife got a new iPhone to replace her old one. Kept the same number, they activated it at the Apple store.
My bill comes in and Verizon is charging a $35 upgrade fee. Is this a mistake (or more to the point something I have a decent shot at overturning) or is it just normal bullshit?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Looking for some confirmation here. If you add the $100 monthly international plan to a line, is it a straight calendar month ignoring cycle billing date?

Related I guess, is there a better fairly easy option for someone going out of the country for over 20 days that absolutely needs access to their US phone number? I can’t think of any.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duckman2008 posted:

It lasts for 30 days from whatever day you add it.
I know I’ve asked a couple of questions lately then disappeared for a few days, so I want to say thanks, Duckman, I appreciate the help.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hey I have one more question about international use. If I sign up for the international monthly plan, it says I get 250 talk minutes. Do incoming calls count towards those minutes?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ok, thanks.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah except for reasons my wife needs to be easily reachable at her current phone number.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah she’s got an iPhone 13, and a physical Verizon SIM. So something can be worked out.

Honestly the 250 minutes will almost certainly be enough, I’m just trying to have a plan B ready so if I need one I don’t have to think of one on the fly.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Did it have to do with a hum?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’d be all over that T Mobile “two lines for $55 for old people” plan but they don’t have coverage in the block or two around my house. It’s fine elsewhere in town. Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It says I can trade in my base 13 for a base 15 for free. Seems odd, but I guess they put value on lock-in.

If you’re getting a monthly credit, your phone is locked and you can’t activate alternate SIMs, right?