Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Our Network is congested so we can't give you full HD streaming anymore..."

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/10/25/16546798/verizon-unlimited-data-full-video-quality-fee

"...not unless you pay us :10bux: more per month." :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Screen looks blue and their are reports of sealer issues. I’ve already seen 3 returns.

So a little bit of an exaggeration, but I would be cautious about saying the Pixel 2XL is a great phone buy yet.

Reminder that it’s made by LG.

LG: Life's Good! ...for about six months.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So let me guess, the driving force behind the "new line" bullshit with BOGO deals is so VZW can count them as unique subscribers and use the data to inflate their numbers?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

The pixel 3 is definitely fancy, but I'm frustrated that my charging cable world is turned over again. Can I find usbc cables that have one USB end, for charging my phone off my PlayStation or chargers I already have? My last phone used that fast charging gimmick but it seemed to kill a couple devices I used them with, are those chargers off limits? I thought of all this poo poo two minutes after I left the drat mall

The Pixel 3 should come with a USB-C to USB-C cable as well as a USB-C to USB-A one. As for the USB-PD chargers, yeah - that's still a clusterfuck. Especially for a car charger.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

smilingokami posted:

I have the XL plan that I share with my SO and am getting 25% off because of work. The unlimited plans aren't shared and workplace discounts won't apply at all right?

To my knowledge, the only two discounts applicable to the new Unlimited plans are the Military/Veteran's discount and the $10/month discount when you have both VZW Unlimited and FiOS Gigabit Internet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So in order to get your phone to actually be able to authenticate for the free Apple Music promo, you have to jump through a hoop: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-218772/

Once one phone on the plan is authenticated, all (qualifying) lines are authenticated. Oddly enough mine is still greyed out, probably because I've a few days before my line officially goes from grandfathered ULD to BU.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 18, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

My Pixel XL has stopped working for phone calls. It can still make/receive calls and the person on the other end can hear me, but I can't hear them. Anyone had any experience fixing something like this?

Powering it off and back on will return it's ability to work for some period of time(like an hour or two) but then it returns to the above lack of functionality.

If it was the other way around you'd be in luck. There was a manufacturing flaw in the microphone in the original PXL that Google's still fixing for free through two official partners (UBreakIFix being one of them), but I don't think the same is true about the speaker. Does the speakerphone functionality still work? You lose privacy, sure - but it might be a temporary workaround.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Weirdly enough, even though my phone (a first-gen Pixel XL) is now on BU, it's still showing as "not compatible" with Apple Music. The other two phones on the account are an Essential PH-1 and a first-gen non-XL Pixel. Both of them are enrollment-eligible. I still do have access to Apple Music via a shared Apple ID linked to a phone that's been authenticated, but it seems weird that my phone's greyed out on the online/app interface. Is this something that could be fixed in-store, or is this going to be one of those "keep working my way up the tech support ladder until I find someone who knows what they're doing" things?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It would be so helpful if Verizon put up something that would allow you to plug in the new plans and see if you can save any money without scaring you into thinking you've changed your plan and then can't change it back.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

You can do it on the website?

I tried earlier to see what would happen going from Beyond Unlimited to Play More Unlimited and all I accomplished was finding out that once you select Play More Unlimited on the Manage Your Plan subpage that it'd make it look like you just changed your plan without authorizing or confirming any changes to your account.

I also saw no evidence of the "free unlimited 5G data" promo that I saw in the earlier pictures showing the plans, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's only for new subscribers and all of us existing customers can go screw.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 6, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I got your PM, I glanced at your plan today, I’ll look at it more in depth hopefully tomorrow. My store is short staffed , so if I forget please remind me.

The free 5G requires a 5G phone. So you plan, like almost everyone , doesn’t have a 5G phone, so it won’t provision that feature (why provision something that can’t be used).

Yeah, Verizon can always do better on plan transparency, and lord knows they can do better on plan naming. I’m sure they make it vague on purpose. On the plus side, making it vague keeps me employed.

I’m surprised you want to do play unlimited versus do unlimited. When I looked at the plans I assumed more people would want Do, but then again, I don’t stream much video so what do I know.

I might be persuaded to go with Do over Play. Truth be told I get nowhere near my 22GB cap on Beyond as it stands.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If i were to switch, I’d do Play. I don’t care about the streaming rate, but we already pay for Apple Music and 25 GB would be more than enough.

I assume the 25GB is a shared bucket for a family plan? If it’s individual lines, then it’d be beyond overkill for me.

It's individual lines.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Might not be the right place to ask, but are you *required* to make use of the facial unlock feature on the Pixel 4, or can you just lock it with a pattern or code instead?

I'm not terribly happy about using my fingerprint, but it's not like they're not on file because of my work. I'm also not trusting of the reader over time, the one on my OG PXL is getting persnickety.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hey Duckman, do the Asurion plans cover battery replacements? It says they do, but that it's "conditional."

What are those conditions?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I just tried making a claim through Asurion, but it kicked it. There's a chance my plan is so ancient it might not cover anything except phone replacement - I got it with my *Original Droid* way the gently caress back when.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

They'll throttle you even on grandfathered ULD - having it doesn't put a golden "you can't gently caress with me" halo around your phone. You'll never be able to prove they're doing it without access to their administrative tools.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

My ma got the new prepaid sim card and put it in and went through some screens and the phone worked but she nor the cell phone store person (no dedicated Vzn shop in her small town) could get the online web registration/pin to work. You weren't kidding about the call in prepaid customer service basically being non-existent. You just get set in a loop of selections that never lead you to a person. It's obvious all the companies hate prepaid $35/month customers.

Chat ended up working though!

I remember spending 2 1/2 hours at a VZW corporate store trying to get an Essential PH-1 to work on Verizon. We could get data to work but not voice and text. Switching to "Global" on the bands is what finally worked.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, unless you live in NM, the free trial automatically turns into a paid one exactly one year after you subscribe, and remember that 2020 is a leap year, so it'll probably be a 365 day trial in a 366 day year.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Might be a hail mary suggestion, but have you tried switching to "Global" band? I've heard it uses more battery, but maybe it'll juice your modem a bit more.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

To change to Global band, you go into Settings (assuming you're on an Android phone), and select Network & Internet. On that screen you should see "Mobile network: Verizon." Hit that up to open the submenu, then under Preferred network type: LTE/CDMA, change it to Global.

I know it works with Verizon because it's the thing we had to do with my father's Essential PH-1 to finally get it working on Verizon's network. Everything I've heard is that it uses more battery, but I've also heard it improves connection because it puts more juice into the modem/antenna.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I loving hate these "BOGO" deals that let you know just how overpriced the phones are.

Why they don't have the "Bullshit BOGO" and a "30% off for established customers" discount?

Hey Duckman, are the "device dollars" through Go Rewards bullshit? I'm waiting for more info on the P5 and P4a 5G before finally ditching my OG PXL.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

waffle iron posted:

About to give up my grandfathered unlimited plan because coronavirus means I am never out of the house. For 1 line is there any particular advantage of picking the base "unlimited" plan over the 5 GB plan?

You get the "perks" of free Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu Plus, and Apple Music. :shrug:

Apple Music only comes with Play/Get More plans, though - I think it's only six months free on the lower plans.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So Google is going to have the Unlocked Pixel 5 for $649 on 11/22. All I have to do is buy that and then request a 5G SIM card, correct?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

waffle iron posted:

Yes, all US models of the Pixel 5 are the Verizon model with 5G and 5G mmWave.

That's what makes the $649 price so attractive - the fact that the RotW is paying $599 for theirs because no one else uses Verizon's Gucci 5G. :smith:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So I take it the Black Friday deal on the Pixel 5 is one of those BOGOHO "you're our payment bitch for two years and start a new line for no other reason than to pad our numbers" deals?

Just wanting to make certain before I pick up an unlocked one tomorrow/in a few hours.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hrm - I *want* to get an unlocked phone, but if Verizon's willing to give me $400 in credit for my 128GB OG PXL... :hmmyes:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm getting a weird error message when I try to upgrade my phone via the phone app. It drops down with an orange box that says "MTN: [my number] PRICE PLAN INVALID FOR DEVICE." I tried it on both the installment and retail price options - same message on both.

I've got a 128GB OG PXL.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So according to the Verizon Chat support, the reason I'm getting the "MTN" error message is because my plan is "grandfathered." I gave up my grandfathered ULD to switch all the plans over to the cheaper Unlimited plans, but evidently in order to get the trade-in discount on the P5 I'd have to change both lines over to a new plan with 5G access.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

This is weird. If you can post your exact plan name I can help more with this too.

I've got three smartphones, all on 4G Beyond Unlimited. One Pixel 32GB, one Pixel XL 128GB, and the redheaded stepchild line on an Essential PH-1, with a military discount. The person I was speaking to said the reason I wasn't allowed to tender the trade-in transaction is that they're no longer offering those plans and they're considered "grandfathered."

I'm personally looking to upgrade my PXL to the P5 on the Get More Unlimited 5G UW plan, upgrade the Pixel 32GB to a P5 on the Do More Unlimited 5G UW plan, and maybe downgrade the PH-1 account's plan to Do More 4G since the person using that phone is :downs: when it comes to a phone that's more advanced than the old-school RAZR clamshell he was forced to upgrade from. I know he'd probably be fine on the "Start Unlimited" plan since he barely ever uses data to begin with, but for :10bux: more per month it's another potential hotspot allotment. :shrug:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 22, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok gotcha. Just FYI Apple Music is not included on Do or Play More if anyone is using the Apple Music you currently get for free. Get More still gets Apple Music, as well as the Disney+ , ESPN+ and Hulu.

Yeah, I'm probably the only one on the account who'll make use of any of that stuff so... :shrug:

Also, for some weird goddamned reason *my* number specifically was never allowed to access Apple Music (the option was greyed out) despite being on a plan that should have had it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Whew, so...after 90+ minutes on Verizon Chat Support, I was finally able to finalize an upgrade to two Pixel 5s.

The downside is I'm still not 100% sure if the trade-ins (a 32GB OG Pixel and 128GB OG Pixel XL) were processed correctly (I have two distinct "submission IDs" for each trade-in), and I learned at least one reason why *my* line might not have been recognized correctly - it wasn't showing up as physically having a phone attached to it. I had to manually add my PXL's IMEI to the trade-in system, and even then, when everything was added, it added both $16.67 discounts to one of the two P5s, so now I get to call Sales sometime in the next two weeks and have them change that to have one per phone. I also want to make doubly-sure that my bill is only going up by ~$25. Supposedly changing to 2x Do More and 1x Get More, my new monthly bill with all of my discounts is $156.84, which is down from $172.76, and the "your new bill" email I got seems to only factor in a *single* $16.67 statement credit.

I couldn't pass up $800 in credit for two 2016-era phones, though. All told, I think I'm getting two Pixel 5s for ~$600, so it's "BOGO" without the new line activation.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 23, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So the new phones are coming tomorrow - will the 5G SIMs be included or would I need to go by a B&M store to get that sorted in short order?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Thanks again, Duckman. :shobon:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Not a problem , it’s what I do.

Okay, so I got my new phone(s), but...should I have gotten the Trade-In Kit *with* the phones, or does that come by itself?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

Got my phones in yay. I haven't r Ed ceived a trade in box yet though, does that usually come later?

Yeah, I just got my boxes today.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Something that might help someone moving from a 3-4G to a 5G phone on Verizon's network: Make sure Advanced Calling/VoLTE is enabled on your account before you make the switch over. Going from my PXL to a Pixel 5 took three techs to unfuck. The #832 check kept failing until Advanced Calling/VoLTE was re-enabled by a Level 2 tech. I'd disabled VoLTE on my PXL because I've many small 4G dead zones on roads around my area where I'd invariably lose a call if it wasn't on 3G.

It was a good two hours and change for them to figure it out.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 8, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh yeah, that would def be an issue. You might as well change it now anyway, the 3G network in those areas turn off Jan 1st.

Yeah, also, are there ever any sales for the Kyocera DuraXV Extreme (with camera), or is it such a low volume item that there's no chance? My father - despite my trying to show him how to use his PH-1 multiple times - seems chronically incapable of being able to operate anything more than a loving flip phone, and it seems like the DuraXV has the best reviews and 4G connectivity.

I wouldn't mind buying it online and making sure you got the commission.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 8, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So does 5G turn to "5G+" or something when you're within usable range of mmWave?

Bandire posted:

...it just has the little red Verizon V and numbers on it.

Wonderful, this is me, too - so VZW put the wrong SIM in my P5?

Yeah, mine very much does not look like this:

Would it just be simpler to go to the local non-affiliate B&M to get these switched out?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 11, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Indirect dealers tend to charge a fee for a SIM swap. If you have a Corp store near by , go there. Or just have care ship you one.

Nationwide (low band) 5G just says “5G,” and mmWave will show “5GUW.” You will def know.

Yeah, I just have the red "V" with the 20 number string.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

5G SIM swap took ~10 minutes. Would've taken five but they were "restricted" for some reason and the guy had to call support for provisional access.

Hopefully that's the last hiccup for a while.

Hey Duckman - question about the Kyocera flip phone - would dropping down to the $35 'kinda unlimited' (not the kids one, obviously) plan on it still give a discount per line? I mean, I know those have very limited internet connectivity, but there's no reason to have it using a smartphone-level unlimited plan. Or is there an even cheaper option which might or might not be cheaper since it wouldn't be an unlimited plan and work into the bundle discount?

Also, looking at my SIM status, I now see LTE under Mobile voice network type and NR NSA under Mobile data. I've yet to actually get the phone in a 5GUW zone to test if that's working.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 12, 2020