Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Title is wrong, already looks ruined. I think it can only go up from here, holy poo poo. Good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Buy this. But holy poo poo, that wheel offset.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Big FU to previous owners, holy cow. Nice work.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

This is a good thread with a bad car getting less bad. I dig it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

I know. Not gonna. New Centric ceramics came with the car. I just kept the right side together for reference. You never can clean soaked shoes enough to be fully effective again.

I don't know that this would work on cars but I got brake fluid on my mountain bike's pads and they squeaked like crazy afterwards and felt like poo poo. Internet suggested taking a torch to the pads themselves and burn all the stuff off. They felt fine and didn't squeak afterwards, I was amazed. They were brand new so I didn't want to throw them away before giving it a shot.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

It might. I've got new shoes, so I won't bother at this time, but I'm keeping the old set just in case they suddenly get hard to find or something.

Yeah, don't blame you if you have new stuff already. It was just one of those "thank god for the internet" moments for me because I figured I'd have to replace them and it worked like a charm.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Of course, as has become Situation Normal with this car, I noticed several new broken and /or missing things.

This is what always kills me with old cars. Glad you've got a good attitude about it and can keep going.

Nice score on the FSM.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Speaking of those rims, I stopped by Discount Tire and got me some tread for the two that had bald and/or corded tires from excessive dori.

Stepped up to the stock GT-S size (195/60-14). The 175/65-14s that the previous owners had on these 7" wheels are too small.
I'd love to go a tad wider, but selection on 14" is bad, especially on lower profiles. I don't want taller. 205/55-14 would be ideal, but all DT has in that size are autocross semi-slicks.

205/50-15 is a good size, so may have to move up to a 15x7 or 15x8 wheel at some point. Right now, these $50 Ohtsus will do. It was either that or GT Radials, and my store had the Ohtsus.

They make the RT615k in that size at least.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Tire rack. In stock, $91 each. But yeah, I get it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Note: no catalytic converter.
Flowmaster is much deeper, and a bit louder. Much quieter than open exhaust. I think it probably needs a presilencer like an RX-7 in lieu of a cat. A small glasspack muffler usually works. There is a leak somewhere under the car, I can hear it puffing, which negatively affects the overall sound, at least at idle, but generally speaking, the idle sounds much beefier now.

Why not just put a cat on it?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Because a cat is about 4x the cost of a test pipe :v:

I'd pay a little more for less lovely air.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Yesterday, I did install LED retrofits in the fixtures I installed on the back of my garage door a week or two ago.

Pretty darn clever. I might steal this if I ever decide to fix my garage lighting situation.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Guess I need to buy a quart of Joyful Red. And reducer. Primer. Hardener...

And bourbon.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

This took me 6 hours on Saturday. I'm stubborn.
Now the engine will explode next time I mow.

hahaha holy poo poo, talk about reinventing the wheel. I would have stopped once I tried mounting the wheel and payed a little more for the other wheels.

I've only ever used cheap and lovely taps though. I don't know what good ones are even like. :shepface:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

beep-beep car is go posted:

Same, I read every time you update. Please keep on posting!

Yep, nothing to add except it's a good read.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

For the class you're only riding around a parking lot. I was the only guy in class to fall off the bike (literally had never ridden one at all beforehand) and was fine. I think all they require is boots, maybe long sleeves and pants. Though I guess it probably varies a bit state by state.

But for real riding, yeah. I'd want as much armor as possible with all the crazies on the road.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

So are you not getting rid of this now? I know there was some talk of a local being interested.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Raluek posted:

If your ratchet head won't fit, it looks like there might be clearance for an offset screwdriver

Less terrible version of that tool

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XYOUS6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Hoo boy, what a mess. gently caress working with old dried out plastics. :shepicide:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Were the fasteners you're dipping coated previously? I know some OEMs dip certain things (but doubt most things are) but I wonder if you're going to be introducing the possibility of galvanic corrosion by doing this?

I say this not being an expert by any means on this, just something to google if you hadn't considered. I could be way off base.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

EvellSnoats posted:

I actually stripped the fabric off my 02 CV front seats and threw them in the washing machine as I wanted to sew a rip up. Came out really clean.

I bought a junkyard seat that I cleaned with baking soda and water. Kept scrubbing until the water wrung out clear/white from the baking soda. It wasn't too bad in the first place but it looks really drat good now and doesn't smell.

Just another idea if you don't want to pull it all apart.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Just make your own from standard copper fittings and plate it yourself? :haw:

Would fit right in if you're going for the hipster brewery aesthetic. All you'd need are some old timey light bulbs. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Were you still interested in the car, perchance? Just posted an ad over in AI-mart:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=25#post494304942

I mean no offense but nope. I love the thread (and your constant progress and results/satisfaction :) )but I've never really understood the appeal of these cars personally. Sad that you'd get rid of it but maybe that means more RX7 content?

...which I'd also never buy again (but at least "get" them, dad had a few of them growing up and they were fun and noisy if a bit under powered, had a turbo II before I knew how to work on cars and only put 5 miles on it :v:).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Craigslist.

:rip:

Good luck with that poo poo show.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Those spouts drive me insane. Instead of using that poo poo pile that doesn't work, I pull it off completely and spill gas everywhere instead. Way better for the environment, right guys? I remember one of the MCM videos where they came to the US and were very confused and did something similar because they're so terribly designed.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

:emptyquote:

So clean and pretty! I still lust for an untouched FD, but lol at ever finding one.

Get one that's been touched by the spyder on this very forum.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

STR posted:

That looks a lot bigger than 1 ton. A decent window AC is 3/4 to 1 ton.

For reference, my early 00s 800 sq ft apartment runs a 2 ton, and it's physically smaller than that (also R-22, though it's a mid 00s Goodman). And it takes a good long while to cool off the apartment when I get home.

Heh, I have a 2 ton for my 2400 sq ft house and :same: so I just keep it running 24/7 in the summer. The HVAC in this house is so hosed.

Sorry for derail, Darch

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I have that inflator and use it on my bike and cars. Small battery is good for bike but it will take forever on cars without a bigger one. I think my big one is 4ah.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Just in case anyone is still reading...

Hi.

You could have saved some paint by not painting the back side or top (unless you're insetting it something). :) Either way that's a bomb proof work bench.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Now I can get back the garage and cars. Until I remodel the living room, anyway.
Oh, yeah, the Crown Vic picked up a nail or something a while back in the right-front tire, and had a slow leak, but it either fell out or pushed through, and now it's a faster leak. full to flat overnight. <sigh>
Lacking time to mess with it due to the shower emergency, I'm driving the Kia until this weekend, when I can either fix it, have it fixed, or just put one of the spares on.

Most tire shops will plug it for free nowadays. Quicker to drop it off and then do other poo poo for a bit and pick it up later for me at least.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

So what would cause this wear? It drives fine. I don't think the alignment is that out of whack.

edit: I'm thinking I ran it low too much due to the slow leak.

Looks like under inflation since it's on both sides on the outer edges. Did you find the source of the slow leak otherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nice organ pipes