Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This seems like an immense turd so it will be a fantastic thread. That's how logic works, take a community college class sometime.

Are you going to recondition that Momo wheel? It looks kinda filthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Making some good progress.

I was going to say "how many years has it been since they made RE92s?" but they still do :psyduck:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Ffffffffff...
That Craigslist rough Celica with a running 1UZ i posted a while back is down to $500...

There's $500 worth of lessons in there, this is the cheapest education you can have.

Put on an annoying persona, record it doing burnies for YouTube, make some money.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I always just assume that any PO-installed HID kit is broken. At the price those kits are, it's cheaper to just throw that garbage in the trash after cutting it for spare wire and connectors and reinstalling the OEM halogen setup. If the lighting is really bad I build an H4 relay harness.

Same goes for PO-installed grounding kits.

There's a "Cusco" battery hold-down kit you can buy from eBay/Aliexpress that works OK for most cars. I'm sure Cusco is really mad about their branding being used on it, but for like five bucks it looks OK.

Are those dizzy rotors the same weight?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 25, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Are there good sources for original springs or are you going to have to get some custom-made?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Feel like that's your insurance company telling you to find another insurance company for this fine hoopty. Maybe get a second opinion from a broker?

Sounds good in the video. Bummer about the harness.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Huh, I didn't know these had inboard-ish brakes. That's good to know.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I have driven all over the city for an M12x1.25 tap before. It sucks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Do you have the old cable? Maybe you can find another car that has a similar one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That cable luber is a cool little tool. I can see a few applications for it on the bicycle I'm trying to bring back at the moment.

Good job on the lawnmower deck repair.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How do you laser-cut a mirror? Sounds dangerous. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That is some incredible blow-by you got there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Zinc-plating your own bolts is a pretty cool idea. There was some guy on GRM who had a connection who got entire buckets of his fasteners yellow-zinc plated.

Really like the idea, and I'd do it if it were cheap. Beautiful new fasteners into rusty old holes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I want low output parody stickers for all my cars now. “2.5L 16V NO TURBO NOT INTERCOOLED”

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Nice job on the wheelbarrow.

I know I saw some wheelbarrow axle repair 'kits' (brackets, axle) at our local equivalent of Tractor Supply but they are probably - just like yours - too expensive to justify.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What's a "lab jack" intended to be used for?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Dang, I really like those helping hands. I should make a set for my workbench!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That’s really impressive progress. I’d have thrown a tool and stormed out long before committing to fabricating new door trim clips.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I like the 15-amp approach to fixing a battery. "gently caress you, rear end in a top hat!"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Will vinegar dent those hard water deposits? I use the pickling-grade stuff at home for stuff like that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Love those pencil bins. Slung has something similar in his kitchen for a spice rack.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That sucks about the speaker. I’m a little relieved that it’s not just me who wastes hours trying to fix something that should have been checked out first.

Cool repair kit though! I never would have thought to try and fix a torn speaker like that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The DOS-compatible Macs are kind of weird. I have an LC630 DOS-compatible that I was going to try and get Linux to work on, but it looks like a huge endeavour.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Those dryer cords just seem like an invitation to short. A friend of mine pulled his dryer out to clean the vent last month and got the cord taut enough that one of the ring terminals rotated and touched another.

Dryer fuse and the circuit breaker didn't catch it. New dryer time!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Nice job repairing the tiny cars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Those are some satisfying jobs. Sometimes it’s the little stuff that makes you smile every time you use it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Wow that paint gun swarf. Wonder how many projects are ruined by that? Love the “tip” (ha ha) about drilling it out for primer.

Primer looks good for being so old. I guess there must have been enough catalyst left over. Did you ever get those shorts clean again?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 28, 2020

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I always feel like seeing niche shitboxes is a good omen for a trip.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This is some really good info, I was going to re-plate some battery contacts with Slung before this whole covid nightmare.

I knew about keeping the current limited to a very low value before, and I was going to use the cheap nickel strips that they sell on Amazon for battery spot welding, but the local jewelry-supply store had premixed nickel solution for a not-ridiculous price.

Your results look great. :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

For wiring labeling, get a roll of heatshrink for your label maker. Just remember to put it on before crimping the connector...

It's expensive poo poo, but as long as you proofread before hitting print it's worth it.

You can also write with a pen on white heat shrink and it will still be legible when shrunken.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've used Shoe Goo to put soles back on boots. It lasts for awhile.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Flashbacks to dealing with the rivets in the Town Car window reg.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

While looking for the regulator I also found a replacement rivet kit, too, if one has the rivet tool to handle them and wished to anger the next owner or their future selves.

We pulled the entire junkyard window out with the regulator mount attached, and took it to a glass shop. I have no idea what they did with it, but a window appeared in the door a few hours later and I am positive that they earned the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Ahhh, I see you also fall into the category of "I am smart enough to solve the problems that I stupidly create for myself".

Why are we like this?

If you created smart problems instead, you'd have to be even smarter to fix them.