Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Lurker saying hi. Keep posting it's a good thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

You are going to love having an air nibbler. They are awesome. Only warning is they make the most nightmare inducing hell chips. Step on them and they will work their way through the shoe and into your foot.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

God bless you for going with split loom or split braided. I've worked on so many cars where style trumped maintenance that made me rip my hair out.

I think my all time favorite wiring tool is a stitch remover.

Makes opening up old wiring a breeze unless it's in that braid. If you're going to modify existing wiring and haven't used one I highly recommend it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Man i wouldn't sell it, just drive the wheels off it. Or at least put it on Auto trader for lol money and drive it till some desperate weaboo with more money than sense comes knocking.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ah ok i can't argue with that.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

You're making me consider trying to put an interior with restored trim into a pending 28yr old project car instead of gutting it.

Please stop making it look easy and effective.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I want low output parody stickers for all my cars now. “2.5L 16V NO TURBO NOT INTERCOOLED”

I always wanted to get stickers to put on the hood of my civic that said "96 cu in"

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

You've got the "devil's in the details" style of effort to make welding sheet metal work. It's going to be frustrating but satisfying when you're done so lean into it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Zip ties through the slots and trimmed for nibs?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Is that a hard drive magnet holding the patches on before welding?

+1 for rust sucks.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Pliers mod is genius... And all mine are in the most vertically challenged drawer in my tool box. Which sounds like an excuse to get another box to separate the fab tools from the fix stuff tools....

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I've got a similar band saw. I don't know who stole who's design but I bet this would work for you too.

I made a plate similar to the stock one out of steel, added the perimeter, then tacked up the brackets. The way that bolt on the bottom is it's not to bad to square the whole thing up and it's surprisingly rigid for use as a vertical band saw.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Looks much nicer being a single color. Good work so far!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

That's brilliant. My rubbermaid folding table is good for holding things off the ground and that's about it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Those little buddy heaters are legit. I've got an adapter so I can run it off a full size propane tank and it's awesome.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'm digging the plating chat. Sounds like a great thing to do when I ship my civic off for paint.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

You tagged your modified wiring and :woop:

I'll probably never see that car but I stil appreciate it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

kastein posted:

For wiring labeling, get a roll of heatshrink for your label maker. Just remember to put it on before crimping the connector...

It's expensive poo poo, but as long as you proofread before hitting print it's worth it.

I've been looking at this and it's something I'm definitely going to do.

Does it last fairly well or should I shrink clear over it after?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I've always hated the car tv show rusty shitbox to bzzz bzzz and sand and look it's a concourse car in 45 minutes thing. Post all the plating.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Only answer for the hood latch I've got is aero catches. Or is it aero latches.

It's nice seeing the plated and painted bits going together and on the car. Looks great.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I like the circuit board ones.

I'd steer clear of any camo/dazzle/Digi camo just due to it being a crown vic. If I saw a camo wrapped anything govt fleet vehicle I would make uncharitable assumptions.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Raluek posted:

i assume he means the kind of person who is into putting camo on everything and also driving a crown vic might be a dipshit bootlicker, not that anyone would think its an actual cop of any kind

that said, i like the blue dazzle. its far enough from the digicam that my brain doesnt categorize it as "support are troops"-y and the splash of color looks cool

It's this

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I just ordered a variable power supply and am gonna try this zinc plating thing.

I blame you.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Fine by me.
It's a rabbit hole, BTW.

Also, variable power supplies are handy for all sorts of things, so never a waste. :D

The power supply being the kind of thing I'll use constantly was my selling point. Even if I give up early I'll use everything but the zinc.

Thanks for the plating effort posting though.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I remember hanging out in my friends dad's garage surrounded by classic cars in various levels of restoration from bare frame to drop dead gorgeous 50s Vette and all he wanted to talk about were the bead roller mods after I noticed it. It was reinforced all over, motorized, and had a sewing machine pedal that could feed forwards and back and vary speed.

I was jealous.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'm perfectly happy reading slice of life from AI garage posts but replying to every one feels, I dunno, like clutter or normal forums post count nonsense.

Still enjoying the thread even though i have nothing to add.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I though about just posting "gently caress" a bunch of times and the pictures....

Have I mentioned how much I hate rust?

We would have understood.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

That one scene from the wire but you're just finding more rust while muttering f bombs.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

It's an amazing show. The whole things on HBO max.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Send it, no shame. I remember my first birdshit globs of wtf.

Who posts where is a blur to me at this point but if you're not in the blacksmithing thread in diy it's a great resource on all things welding, and friendly too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Nicely done. 3d printers are great for rapid prototyping aren't they?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'm excited to see how this turns out. An over under welder would free up 1 whole welders space in my garage.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Looks good, needs some triangles or a vertical support on the front. Or some big gussets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

First, those are S tier trailer welds. Don't let your inner monologue tell you different.

Second, that's a good looking trailer!