Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

And yes, I solder. I don't care how NASA does it, this isn't a spaceship (well, the Insight is kinda futuristic...) Properly-crimped connectors are fine, but they are bulky as hell, at least the insulated ones, and I've never had a solder joint fail on one of these harnesses.
I do the same thing for car stereos, for the same reason.

I wouldn't sweat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That looks good! I'm throwing those on my to-do/wish list - building a large, heavy welding table/workbench is in my near future and being able to kick some wheels down and move it would be most excellent.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Depends on if I need monies or not. Or space.
Been trying to go all... uh, what's her name? The lady that helps people clear out stuff? Get rid of that which no longer brings you joy? Trying to do that lately.
Marie Kondo

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

This is cool as heck. I'd love to plate stuff, but due to time/space constraints, I don't see myself getting into it anytime soon, but I'm enjoying living vicariously!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 4, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm not even slightly bored with the plating stuff. I think it's cool as hell to see this, and I wish I had the time/focus to do this stuff the way you are.

Never stop, this rocks.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

You need to toss all of the plating pictures up on twitter and start tagging Mazda Japan and their related accounts. You'll be famous among the Japanese resto nerds in no time.
I'd retweet that.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Commodore_64 posted:

I can suggest you DON'T use this. I thought it would be the coolest thing, but it turns purple and is just not all that great to work with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EH6IZ6Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
:stare:

For whatever it's worth, I've had basically my entire engine harness wrapped in this stuff for ~a year with no ill effect. I found it quite nice to work with, but it does take some getting used to. If you're going to use electrical tape, definitely second the Super 33+ recommendation - it's good stuff.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Checked my old order, I got the exterior version. Phew.

Mine hasn't been on as long, obviously, so time will tell, but I've been very happy with it so far.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I feel like for $190 I'd at least try to build that shim/gasket out of some sheet metal ... or maybe just gasket material?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

It feels like stainless steel.
It's not flat, It has raised beads, and I don't know how important that is.
You'll have to compare the surfaces a bit, but there's a pretty good chance that creating the basic shape from a malleable-enough material will press into the right places when you clamp the head on.

I don't think you'd break anything by trying it, and if it's down to that, an overpriced replacement, or a whole new unit, I'd at least try it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Well, maybe. Not sure what to use though. I've never made a metal gasket before.
Right about now I miss the waterjet I used to operate.
I'm trying to come up with a reason gasket material wouldn't work and not getting anywhere - it's got the benefit of being cheap and easy to work with, and I don't think there's any moving parts that are going to collide if you get it wrong (specifically, because it's thicker than the metal one was). It'll either work fine, work ok but lose some efficiency (I'm thinking increased cylinder volume because gasket material will space the head up vs stamped metal), or it won't work at all, but no real downside, if you want to try that first.

Very thin steel or copper would probably work well. Measure the thickness of the old one to figure out what thickness to buy? If the thickness isn't malleable enough to work easily, you can stack thinner pieces to get to the same thickness. I'd be careful about going thinner, though, as you wouldn't want the piston to collide with the head or something.

A water jet would be nice, but a dremel with a cutting wheel will do what you need.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

My Crown Vic's OEM cop-spec headliner:
I think I paid a lot of money for a couple of those lights once - definitely don't toss it if it's not too late. (The round one at the front - it's nice, because it lets you switch between a white main light and a red "tactical" light.)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Interesting. Yeah, I've loved having them in my jeep - it's really nice to be able to use red light to check a map in the desert and keep night vision.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm sorry for your loss, man ... that can't be easy. What a cool workshop! I've recently become very interested in Kennedy toolboxes and it's always cool to see them in the workshop.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I bought this kit on the strength of reviews and videos, and completeness:
I'd just like to say, I appreciate your tendency to post not only what you're doing, but like specific brands / products you're using to do the things. I've been looking for a kit like this, and this helped me make a decision - two kits ordered, I look forward to wearing out my arm polishing lights.

Those results look fantastic. Also I have to buy some light pods in my near future, but I might go ... bigger :q:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

Man by the time you get that thing actually how you want it you're going to have a solid case for calling it a home built trailer at registration time.
Seriously.

Good work!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Really leaning into that homebuilt trailer thing, I like it!

The paint color is an excellent choice, too. I think you might have included the wrong image near the end - the last one is the same as the one just before it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Sometimes Amazon is just baffling.
This has bitten me a few times on Amazon. I do the same thing - I usually just try to imagine another purpose for it and keep it - makes me feel a little better, given how often returns to Amazon just get discarded.

Darchangel posted:

While I was on Amazon, I picked up some new PPE:

Pretty cool. I have a face shield, but it's the old-school one where clear parts tends to flatten out and it's a cheap one that doesn't stay in position well, not to mention how, erm, well-used it is. Rather than buy another lens, I just bought a quality unit. Headband is robust and adjusts like my welding helmet, and the detents for the shield position are nice and positive. Leaving the film on it until I actually use it so it doesn't get scratched up knocking around the garage. I think I have a helmet back or similar I can put it in to keep it from getting scratched and dirty when not in use (I do that with my welding helmet.)
I grabbed one of these awhile ago, they're great! I found replacement lenses a bit cheaper (I want to say ~$7 each) on eBay, grabbed a stack but haven't had to swap it yet.

Darchangel posted:

I didn't have time to really get started on the sides, but I took all the measurements and drew out a plan. I also used a piece of scrap to determine how much the stakes need to be trimmed to fit int he pockets.

Needs both the width and the thickness addressed, which is annoying.
I got a plan, so I'll get on the sides as time permits.

I guess I could get it registered now? Kinda want to paint it first, since they need pictures and color on the reg forms.
This might be "I don't know anything about trailers" (because I really don't, even though one of my ... no, actually, my first "production" weld ... was on a trailer), but: Wouldn't it be easier to fab up a pocket that the unadjusted wood actually fits in? It seems like it would be pretty straightforward to do and a little bit of metalwork now would keep you from having to deal with this on an ongoing basis.