Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'm confused and intrigued on what the final product will look like. I've had a loose vice on my worktop forever, which is great now because I slid it out of the way for my paint mixing station. But it sucks balls when I need to use it as a vice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That's a neat tool!

Also really like the gong. The corrugated metal is the right scale just as you said and I like the detail of the little rafters. I'd like to get into some scrap metal projects at some point but I haven't any scrap yet. It'll be a good excuse to save rotors and whatever other random poo poo I can weld together though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The newsprint reminds me that I do not regret getting a masking machine. They cost more than they should but worth it to peel off a 3ft run with tape ready to go. I use a little sheet to keep the workbench clean too when I'm mixing paint.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Fair. I picked up this one https://tcpglobal.com/collections/masking-machines/products/tcp-mm-22518 since it is a lower price and I can put things on it when I'm working or storing it. Although it's about time to haul it down to basement for long term storage.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
If anyone does buy that masker just be ready to put it together without any instructions! I can't remember exactly but the instructions did not match the unit very well. I ended up looking at the pictures a lot.

And the wheels for tape aren't big enough to hold the tape well. I wrapped them I a couple layers of tape and it works well. And loctited the adjustment nuts, they kept getting loose.

So I'm general I guess you get what you pay for, thankfully it's simple enough that is enough.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Looks sharp, nice work. What is it with bugs wanting to be in paint?

I also had a leaky lid on my gun, due to a little paint buildup. I learned that I have to clean it by using a little pick or something wrapped in a paper towel to hit that sealing surface. Cleaned it out with a beer, a stool, and meticulous scraping with a pick. The beer acts as a solvent, it solves my boredom. Before I found that out I was taping a paper towel around the lid, which works fine too.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I have to assume you mean your elderly neighbor, or you are very sentimental toward the roof.

Good work either way.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You're the one who insists on having it brought inside at 80psi.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ya that looks good and very practical. I love the parts of our hobby that are just, doing things so we can do other things, you know? Building workbenches and jigs and stuff.

For a while I was volunteering to put up grab bars for older folks. One of the old timers told me to just buy a box of heavy duty metal screws, and toss the supplied ones. Some of the houses I went to were 100 years old and the studs were like hardwood. You don't want to break off screws at someone else's house.

Now I do that for almost everything.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wibla posted:

Congrats on the deal!

But actually re-selling tools like that? That's heresy! You never know when they'll come in handy! :v:

Reminds me of my camshaft bearing tool that costs like $115 and used once. It was supposed to get sold immediately thereafter because I have no use for it for a long time hopefully but... what if I do?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Good on you. I paid a guy and it was money well spent.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What I learned just this year is that different ranges have different levels of heat for the burners. I assumed they were all just big or small. The one you bought has more heat than the cheapest one out there. And more is better I think.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
drat looks like you're on the other side of it. Nice work. Thought about you went I was told I'm waiting for something to come back from plating.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

BTW - it is so nice working on the underside of a car with no dirt of grease falling in your face, etc...

Truth to that. Working on the Galaxie that had the body off frame and sandblasted is great. Anything under the cab of the Binder requires eye protection and gloves.

The plating that you're doing is so professional, I love it. Whoever works on that car next will think it's a time capsule, it'll look like it has (x - 30) years on it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Careful. Once you accept that parts costs are going up and getting more rare.... There's only one conclusion.

Then your whole garage will look like the backside of NAPA with stuff you won't bolt on for two years.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My favorite days are the ones when parts go on the car.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The downside to closed cell foam is if water gets around the foam and underneath, it doesn't have anywhere to go. Breathable material is better under carpet.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I didn't know there was a name brand for that wire loom. I usually buy it on ebay and I've been happy with it so far.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

The same stuff? braided loom, but also split like flex loom? Neat. I'll take a look. The stuff at WireCare starts at $0.60/ft., 10' chunks.

Looks like the wirecare stuff is cheaper actually, shipping dependent, I used 1/4 and 3/8 sizing I think. So much better than the parts store corrugated stuff that turns into confetti after a few years of heat.

And I'd order a bigger roll than 10', it sucks when you need a three foot long piece and only have a 2' scrap... And I hate hanging onto scraps hoping I find a home for them.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

The same stuff? braided loom, but also split like flex loom? Neat. I'll take a look. The stuff at WireCare starts at $0.60/ft., 10' chunks.

Edit: seems like the eBay stuff is about the same price. WireCare is cheaper by a few cents/foot, but shipping is included/free on the eBay stuff. For the pile I've currently got in the cart: 10' each of 1/8", 1/4". 1/2", 1", 1-1/2", and a set of the split loom tools ($25 by themselves) is $79.94, plus $6.99 shipping. Per foot price ranges from $0.60 on the 1/8" to $3.75 on the 1-1/2".

I wouldn't spend my money on the tool. My thumb has worked well enough for manipulating it. Maybe if it was my job.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Super 33+ for life!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I've definitely considered upgrading to part of that toolbox. The depth alone was impressive. Sadly the geometry of my garage has eliminated it as a viable option, or maybe more correctly the size of my project has eliminated it, as well as my wife's insistence that she park in the garage as well.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Depth. Our garage has a bump out in the back for my fireplace, which is where I put the toolbox, and it's centered in the garage. With the Galaxie in there I can open the drawers all the way only if I stand on the side. And it can't go on the side wall or its hard to open doors.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It would make you feel good.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I ain't fraid of no caps! I ain't scared of no zinc!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What is going on with the bubbling primer and what primer are you using?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Is the clear coat reacting with the etch or filler primer then? I'm surprised you're not using a 2k primer.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ohh yeah the compressor! I was smart enough to remember you do use a spray gun but dumb enough to ignore half your post.

I figured you'd just get a quart of "Ford White" and let it be mismatched.

Humidity, or lack thereof, is another reason I love where I live.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Lol at the thread title. My nuts are cleaner than yours.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Crown Vics have dropped off my radar as a threat considering how old they are.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

In my experience, this AE86 will be *way* cheaper than pipes. Apparently. Unless prices shot up more than I think they did.

Plumber was able to snake the drains out, but the cast iron is deteriorating.
The quote for replacing the remaining sewer lines was... THIRTY. TWO. THOUSAND. loving. DOLLARS. American dollars!
I will be speaking with them about it, but this is in no way a reality that is going to happen. I will not be paying half my annual goddamned salary in plumbing.

Jaysus! If you're me you'd be scheming about renting the equipment and daylighting all of the pipe for a fraction of that cost.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
A small hand crank bead roller will take care of those, and I've surprisingly used it for more than just the initial job I bought it for. I thought I'd resell it for sure but I've used it on a few random sheet metal jobs since. I can't remember what those were but I sure remember grabbing it out of the bin.

I do remember I need to make a little body plug and that will be exactly the right tool to make a small chunk of sheet metal stiff.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

Oh, hey, the Eastwood 8" bead roller is only $125. Hmmm.
I had an opportunity once to buy one of those 3-in-1 machines, brake, shear, and roller, for $300. I should have.

Actually, looking at the 3-in-1s, they have a slip roller, but no bead rollers.

Oh, crap. I just found a Woodward Fab 18" roller on Amazon that's $155 + $13 tax, free shipping, for some reason. Also 5% back on my Amazon Visa. It's $250 on their own site, and Eastwood's is $240 after sale, $10 discount code and $35 shipping. Northern Tool's is $210, and I can pick it up locally.
Whelp.

Woodward Fab roller will be here next week.

Hell yeah. You're taking them to the cleaners on that free shipping. I have the Eastwood 8" and it's a heavy boy.

I'd like to know how easy it is to operate at that size. 18" probably isn't too wide to be comfortable but I don't think I'd go much bigger.

I actually really enjoyed using it to bend and form sheet metal, if I had another rust bucket I'd buy a powered one in a heartbeat.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

I 've looked at a number of power options, and so far the one that appeals the most is using an ATV winch (without the cable reel,) which is brilliant! Cheap enough - you can get a winch from HF for like $70.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JC_Xj7GKB0

Quoting so I can find this later.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PBCrunch posted:

Lately I have been using wire ferrules on anything where wire goes into a spring-loaded or set-screw terminal. It doesn't really matter in terms of function, but it makes things so much neater if I ever have to revisit the installation.

Oh man that's the way I want to go for sure. Any recs on brands?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The wrench for the wire wheels is a great idea. Currently I just grab the thickest glove I have.

Edit: I found flap discs to be the weapon of choice for smoothing out sheet metal welds without removing too much material where you don't want to.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 24, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Aww man I recommend you take a nice long break from car stuff until you feel excited about it again.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What brand is your mig? It looks just like a Hobart but he sticker I can't make out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hey I'm having a really poo poo time finding a useful answer to this online and I bet you know better and easier.

I want to strip a nickel coating from some steel rings so I can weld them. They're just hardware store quality rings and it's for a small project that I want to weld and paint. I could buy raw steel rings online but the price is a minimum of $20 and I'm a cheap bastard so if I can soak them in something and have them stripped for $19 I'll do it. Plus I often want to weld zinc coated items and I could use a way to strip them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Deteriorata posted:

There's lots of stuff about removing nickel plating, just google "removing nickel plating from steel." There's even YouTube videos.

Most straightforward is just sandpaper.

Stripping zinc is easier. Soak them in acid (like dilute muriatic/hydrochloric) for a while and the zinc will dissolve off pretty quickly. The iron will dissolve eventually, too, so don't leave them for too long.

Yeah and all that stuff I found is... suspect? There's some AI written articles, forum posts, and websites where they sell special stripper which really defeats the purpose. The videos I found were all for reverse plating which is fine I just want to hear from a trusted source I guess. Also I bet Darch has a good video or guide somewhere that I'm just not finding.