Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Darchangel posted:

Oh, yeah, I'll get to it. First place to check, since it's got aftermarket wiring in there. Could also be the ignition switch, though the gauges and dash indicators aren't on, so likely past that.

Good stuff.
I'll admit to have really listened to only one Warren Zevon piece (you know which one.)

So, the FSM says to heat the axle bearing locking collar to 302F before pressing it on, presumably because it's an interference fit, as opposed to the actual bearing's "tight" fit. Spcifically, it says to heat it ot 302F in an oil bath. Well, I don't have a stove or oven in the garage (maybe I should by a hot plate some day?) and I definitely don't want to heat up petroleum in the kitchen. I've no desire for my food to taste like the underside of a car - I get enough of that working on them - so what's to do?
It didn't say "petroleum", and I presume it's just so the thing heats evenly, so:

You need to listen to more Zevon. This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUb0C0iI_GE, for example.

As for your oil bath, technically that peanut oil will go rancid and break down eventually (though it's not like you'll really notice the smell given where it's going). If you have to do it again, use mineral oil. It won't go rancid or break down but it's still food-safe (since you can ingest it for things like constipation) and it won't make your kitchen smell like a quick-lube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Darchangel posted:

Since all the good toys seem to be made for 4-1/2 grinders, and my little Makita is a 4", I bought a new 4-1/2" "Porter Cable" and a couple accessories:

It was $40 at Home Depot. The Harbor Freight cheapie is $15 and their "Hercules" is $40. I figured this would do. It's actually got a 3 year warranty. My Porter Cable contractor's saw managed to build my shed and is still going, so I feel good about it. I rather like that it's designed more like a 7" in terms of the grip and switch. They had a smaller 5A version (this one is 7A) built more like my Makita and the HF ones, with the side switch at the front, but it was only $7 cheaper.
I shall now flap disk the hell out of all my ugly welds.

Hopefully, some progress will happen on one of my shitboxes. 'Sposed to get close to 100 degF, though.

I have that grinder! I managed to cut a chunk out of my fingat within an hour of owning it but that was because I'm dumb. It's a good tool.