Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So what are your plans for it? Full restoration? Tofu Delivery clone? Drift Missile?

So stoked to see a 86 thread :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I had baby supra wheels on my Soarer back in the day, one of my favorite stock wheels ever.

I think with those wheels and and removing the crappy rear fenders your 86 car has potential.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I'm seeing that with my xB. 2nd gen went to 5 bolt and all the cool wheel options are for the 4 bolt 1st gen, why they changed it I have no clue. The wheels and tires I would like would cost me almost 2 grand so gently caress that guess I'm staying stock :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I never got the hate for Rota, unless you're tracking in which case you want higher quality anyways.

For the street they are fine and the selection is phenomenal.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

They work fine on the track, also. People just like to get uppity for no fuckin reason.
Kosei K1s are known to crack real quick, but everyone runs them.

I thought people tend to lean towards forged wheels for track use? I dunno, I don't track a car :v:

I just remember some spec Miata guys or something rambling on about how Rota wheels suck for track use.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But if you can't afford forged wheels you shouldn't be at the track bro :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah this car is PO.text for sure. At least it's easy to work on, I would love one of these cars for a project.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow I would have never caught that and i probably would have went insane trying to figure out what was wrong. Nothing worse than electrical issues.

So when are you gonna drill all the rivets out of the wide body kit :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Doooooo eeeeeeet

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Might want to check if anyone makes replacement panels, there was a guy that made aluminum panels for Miatas, I imagine these days it wouldn't be too hard to fab up a door panel with a water jet or something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

No, you can't. It was literally never smooth to start with. It's spray paint. I would sand through it attempting to get it smooth, and it's probably not hard enough to polish. If I could figure out how to get it off without destroying the factory paint, I would.

And that's when you start wishing you had a time machine to go back to the PO before he put on those dumbass fender flares and lifted a spray can to it, NOOOOOOO im gonna own this car eventually you moron :v:

That sucks though, if he would have just left it alone the car would be ten times better.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Heh, I just installed my subwoofer into my xB that I've been putting off for months because running the wires is a pain in the rear end. Finally in, one more project off the list of many :v:

Looks like you're coming along pretty good, can't wait to see a front bumper on it, it looks horrible without one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Get a car with a trunk-mounted battery. Like a Miata.. or HHR. :haw:

That seriously did make my #1 gripe about wiring up an amp dead simple though... didn't have to find/make a hole in the firewall, didn't have to run wire from the front all the way to the trunk. Just had to run RCAs and remote. And I cheated on the remote... I tapped into the rear power socket, which is ignition switched (sub+amp originally got hooked up to the factory stereo with a line level converter.. ran RCAs when the Pioneer h/u went in).

Yeah Miatas are awesome for that.

My xB has a stock pioneer unit with pre outs for a sub so that was nice, then i just tapped in to the acc wire for the remote lead. Biggest pain was the power lead of course getting it through the firewall to the amp under the passenger seat, then speaker wire to the hatch where the sub is. Now I just have to sound proof because everything rattles now :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wonder why almost everyone went from 6x9 speakers in the rear deck to 6.5" that always annoyed me, plenty of room back there to have designed the deck for 6x9s.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Better bass tho :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My last car with a good pair of 6x9s in the deck and 6.5s in the doors didn't need a sub, that's how good the 6x9s were at putting out bass. Saves space in the trunk too which is a pretty big deal.

Id rather not have to use a sub if I don't have to, the 10" I have in my xB is just on the cusp of being too much for the space it takes up. They make stealth subs for xBs but they are ridiculously priced.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you add a resonator it will get rid of that bees in a can sound, that would be way too loud for me imo.

On my last Miata I got rid of the cat and it was a mistake because it sounded perfect before that, then went to a can of angry bees sound under high revs. Was gonna put a new cat back on but I ended up selling it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

9 quarts total. Not unrealistic, since a complete change with draining the torque converter and cooler is 14 quarts, but man - $7/quart. $65+ in just fluid, to replace a $2 part (and $30 for the filter.)

That's not bad, imagine if you would have taken it to AAMCO, you would have been rear end raped with no lube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dryer vent issues are a pain in the rear end, I knocked a hole in the wall behind mine so it shoots straight out, hardly ever needs to be cleaned and is more efficient that way. I wonder how much energy a long and windy vent tube takes up, especially once it starts building up lint in it.