Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i went to a pinball bar two weekend ago, and loved it, but wasn't really sure what the strategies to good play were. i guess i could look it up on youtube, but i'm also curious if anyone here is into IRL pinball and wanted to talk about high level play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

One of the best ways to set up consistent shots is catching the ball between the ramp and a raised paddle. If you have perfect timing and the ball is rolling down to where the paddle pivot is, you can pop the ball over to the other paddle and catch it there too.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I love pinball but don't play as much as I used to because most of the bars I hang out at don't have machines (with the exception of one Austin Powers machine which is a little simple but fun + great theme). There's a pinball museum here with a ton of tables in great condition where you can play all you want for $15 but I never really go because I feel like I need to make a whole day out of it

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Death Save

A controversial skill. There are some who believe that the Death Save should be illegal, as if it is performed with the supplement of a kick on the right leg of the machine, it may potentially damage the machine. It has, however, been recognized and rewarded by Data East, who have a graphic and a point award for successful Death Saves on their machines since Rocky and Bullwinkle. Still, its not recommended to perform this technique on a friend's machine without permission, or a location you wish to remain in.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I loving love pinball but I have to go to Tacoma once a year to play it, there aren't any machines near me.

If you like pinball or arcade games at all, go to the expo in Tacoma in July. It's got a massive selection of machines and they're all unlimited free play with your ticket.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Control Volume posted:

Death Save

A controversial skill. There are some who believe that the Death Save should be illegal, as if it is performed with the supplement of a kick on the right leg of the machine, it may potentially damage the machine. It has, however, been recognized and rewarded by Data East, who have a graphic and a point award for successful Death Saves on their machines since Rocky and Bullwinkle. Still, its not recommended to perform this technique on a friend's machine without permission, or a location you wish to remain in.

on a few of my credits i tried doing tilts to save balls, but just ended up tilting the machine. i've heard being able to tilt successfully is a big part of competitive play, but for the life of me i couldn't get it to work.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I just play Pinball Arcade. I love Elvira.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I loving love pinball but I have to go to Tacoma once a year to play it, there aren't any machines near me.

If you like pinball or arcade games at all, go to the expo in Tacoma in July. It's got a massive selection of machines and they're all unlimited free play with your ticket.

Downtown Seattle also has a pinball museum thats the same way, its only like 30 machines but its also open year round.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

on a few of my credits i tried doing tilts to save balls, but just ended up tilting the machine. i've heard being able to tilt successfully is a big part of competitive play, but for the life of me i couldn't get it to work.

Learn all the flipper moves (catching, passing ) first, imo.

Pro tip- never hit both flippers at once! If the ball is going straight down the middle you can slap one side while hitting the flipper then hit the next a split second later. Get it done and you can stay alive a long time on tables without bullshit side drains.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
One of my favorite things about Nashville is that there's this arcade that lets you pay like seven dollars to stay all day and use all the cabinets and pinball machines on free play. Having said that, I'm not very good at pinball but I like the flashing lights and sounds and the awesome artwork and design of some of the machines. I'm always amazed at how pinball machines based on a lovely license like 24 can actually be cool and fun.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

if i see a medieval madness or attack from mars machine i will always play it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Downtown Seattle also has a pinball museum thats the same way, its only like 30 machines but its also open year round.
Yeah, they're one of the sponsors of the expo, I think they bring machines. I believe Tacoma also has some pinball arcades, but I don't live there so I'm not sure.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

i must compose posted:

One of my favorite things about Nashville is that there's this arcade that lets you pay like seven dollars to stay all day and use all the cabinets and pinball machines on free play. Having said that, I'm not very good at pinball but I like the flashing lights and sounds and the awesome artwork and design of some of the machines. I'm always amazed at how pinball machines based on a lovely license like 24 can actually be cool and fun.
Stern, which is the last pinball company that makes licensed machines, is really, really serious about it. The work that goes into each machine is insane. Way more than whatever goes into making most of the poo poo they license.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Stern, which is the last pinball company that makes licensed machines, is really, really serious about it. The work that goes into each machine is insane. Way more than whatever goes into making most of the poo poo they license.

Do they make other, non-licensed machines? The little pop out sniper and exploding house in the 24 machine is nuts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

i must compose posted:

Do they make other, non-licensed machines? The little pop out sniper and exploding house in the 24 machine is nuts.
I don't think so, but check their site. I don't think there's much money in unlicensed tables.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
i’ve been trying to get better with IRL machines but its getting kind of expensive. the bars nearby have Attack from Mars (?), Medieval Madness, and a Simpsons machine so it’s not like i’m having a bad time tho

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Back in college I played a shitload of the LotR machine in the student center. My best game I got one shot away from clearing the table but I blew it.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

HolePisser1982 posted:

i’ve been trying to get better with IRL machines but its getting kind of expensive. the bars nearby have Attack from Mars (?), Medieval Madness, and a Simpsons machine so it’s not like i’m having a bad time tho

Medieval Madness is like my favorite table ever

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Liquid Drink posted:

absolutely. getting a multiball going is pure heaven

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
fact i just learned: tina fey and scott adsit did some of the voices in medieval madness

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thought the OP said Paintball Bar and I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what that meant

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Sounds like a good time

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

I thought the OP said Paintball Bar and I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what that meant
Hype.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

i must compose posted:

They used to but not really anymore. Their most recent tables are usually based on bands like AC/DC or Metallica or properties like Ghostbusters that are meant to hit on the nostalgia nerves of the kind of 30+ year old single IT nerd with the disposable income to spend $6000 on a pinball machine for their living room. There are still a few bars and arcades that invest in new pins but for the most part the companies making them nowadays are marketing towards the home enthusiast

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Liquid Drink posted:

There's a bar in my town that has both this and Black Knight 2000. They're the best.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

this is the most uniquely fun pinball game i've ever played

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTFdvxmyC_k

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Control Volume posted:

One of the best ways to set up consistent shots is catching the ball between the ramp and a raised paddle. If you have perfect timing and the ball is rolling down to where the paddle pivot is, you can pop the ball over to the other paddle and catch it there too.

my timing sucks so i found that just double tapping a paddle that has a ball trapped and holding the other side works on like 99% of tables

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Eleanor Pwnsevelt posted:

this is the most uniquely fun pinball game i've ever played

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTFdvxmyC_k

a buddy of mine owns this table and no matter how many times i play it i still struggle with the fights

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Pittsburgh is also a great city for pinball, with the PAPA museum and the yearly ReplayFX convention, in addition to pinball machines existing in the wild.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

favorite tables: Medieval Madness, Judge Dredd, Monster Bash, Attack from Mars

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Another thing I don't understand about pinball: how are you supposed to figure out what to do in the short amount of time you are with the table?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

i must compose posted:

Another thing I don't understand about pinball: how are you supposed to figure out what to do in the short amount of time you are with the table?

A lot of old tables have a little summary sheet off to the side if you look for it and it wasn't destroyed by a beer spill in 1985.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hello op. i'm here to tell you how to learn to play pinball. first watch all of these videos https://papa.org/learning-center/players-guide/?target=techniques

then find a local place to play pinball. here's a pinball map https://pinside.com/pinball/map
here's another https://pinballmap.com/

pick a game you want to learn. preferably one that has a tutorial video on this page, even better if it's in pinball arcade. watch the tutorial, buy it in pinball arcade and play the poo poo out of it until you've got the ruleset memorized

now you may play the real pinball

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

pinball arcade's physics are terrible and it's full of bugs but there's no better way to learn the ruleset. i reached final frontier on star trek tng the first time i found one irl, thanks to my months of dedicated training.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

other Bad Beginner Tips:

find a place that has machines on free play and charges by the hour instead. that way you won't have to worry about running out of tokens because you're draining every thirty seconds
practice on older machines (electromechanicals or "EMs") to practice those techniques, they're slower, simpler, less sensitive to tilts
never stop posting about pinball

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pinball owns. I'm house hunting now and mentally add a few thousand dollars to everything I see cause if I have to move to the drat suburbs you better believe theres gonna be a table in the garage.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

P-Mack posted:

Pinball owns. I'm house hunting now and mentally add a few thousand dollars to everything I see cause if I have to move to the drat suburbs you better believe theres gonna be a table in the garage.

im looking forward to the imp zone pknball tournament at pmacks house

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Funhouse owns

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

World Cup USA is probably my favorite pin after Frank Thomas’ Big Hurt Baseball. Anything that gets you easy multiball modes is good to me.

• Locked thread