Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Shaddak posted:

This may seem like an odd question for the thread but, any recommendations on Orthodox Metal bands? After following the last thread, it struck me that a lot of the Orthodox themes and imagery would be suited to metal bands. Maybe I'm imagining that.
Death To The World is an orthodox metal zine/website, but i dunno if they recommend bands

they do have t shirts though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Those were both great recommendations. I really like the way Batushka worked those chants in.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
https://twitter.com/nephodromus/status/921765499792515075

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i just found a blogpost about why rod dreher sucks, enjoy

http://illit.blogspot.de/2017/08/the-benedict-option-master-post.html

Shaddak, i hope this music brings you closer to the Orthodox Faith

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

cerror posted:

Prayer rules: developing one's relationship with God, or tedious self-discipline grinding?

depends if you are more of a challenge-mode arcade player vs an mmo/cellphone player

Shaddak posted:

This may seem like an odd question for the thread but, any recommendations on Orthodox Metal bands? After following the last thread, it struck me that a lot of the Orthodox themes and imagery would be suited to metal bands. Maybe I'm imagining that.

it's not orthodox-specific but HM Magazine is the granddaddy Christian metal magazine

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
is it ok to have any kind of trad or catechism-based beliefs here or is this exclusively for liberal christianity

like the last thread got closed because one dude was just posting basic catechism stuff vis-a-vis- demons and that made a lot of people mad

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

chernobyl kinsman posted:

is it ok to have any kind of trad or catechism-based beliefs here or is this exclusively for liberal christianity

Yes, it's okay.

quote:

like the last thread got closed because one dude was just posting basic catechism stuff vis-a-vis- demons and that made a lot of people mad

Not sure that's why the last thread was closed, I think it had more to do with the slap-fighty tone.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Did You Know? when talking to people from other religions that sort of language ceciltron was using is considered inappropriate by the catholic church

while you were studying the catechism i was studying contextual theologies including comparative theology/theology of religions and interreligious dialogue. i think all those dudes would consider me converting to be a failure on my part but really if the catholic church didn't want all queers to die maybe i'd still be catholic!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
senju i do not care about whatever weird eastern syncretist poo poo you're on this week

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

My favorite book on the subject is "An Exorcist tells his Story" by Fr. Gabriele Amorth, who worked as the vatican's chief exorcist. It's downright terrifying, and really quite sobering to the fact that we don't operate in a vacuum - our actions and those of others can draw the attentions of evil, and that poo poo is hard to clear up.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my beliefs are extremely old, nothing under 1000 years

it's why i;m pro gay and pro trans

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

HEY GAIL posted:

my beliefs are extremely old, nothing under 1000 years

it's why i;m pro gay and pro trans

lol

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

senju i do not care about whatever weird eastern syncretist poo poo you're on this week

why do you hate asian theologians

also i'm not syncretist i'm buddhist

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
although syncretism is good and cool. catholicism has a lot of syncretism but no one cares because plato and aristotle are more acceptable to europeans than confucius and mencius

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
senju i don't care. i don't care, senju. i do not care.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i'm not kidding. i think you'd better redefine the term "liberal," Bel_Canto's a Latin Mass catholic and he's super SUPER gay. I don't even think the Mass in the vernacular is valid for Catholics, sorry guys, although it doesn't matter to me anymore since I'm no longer Catholic. As far as I'm concerned you're all liberals, even him and Metternich.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ceciltron posted:

My favorite book on the subject is "An Exorcist tells his Story" by Fr. Gabriele Amorth, who worked as the vatican's chief exorcist. It's downright terrifying, and really quite sobering to the fact that we don't operate in a vacuum - our actions and those of others can draw the attentions of evil, and that poo poo is hard to clear up.
I talked to Tias in PMs and I think part of the problem is that he and I were using the same words for different things. It may not be as bad as you think, although I still wouldn't do what he does. But he wouldn't live like I do, either.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 25, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

HEY GAIL posted:

i'm not kidding. i think you'd better redefine the term "liberal,"

yeah im using it in the modern sense not the rigorous sense

quote:

Bel_Canto's a Latin Mass catholic and he's super SUPER gay.

then he's either celibate, not receiving communion or receiving it illictly, lol

quote:

I don't even think the Mass in the vernacular is valid for Catholics, sorry guys

i agree

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

senju i don't care. i don't care, senju. i do not care.

so i guess i'll add "asians" to the list of "people chernobyl kinsman doesn't care about" along with lgbt people

got any opinions on black liberation? maybe on mestizo theology?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
senju stop talking to me. stop talking to me, senju. stop.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah this isn't offensive or trolly at all :rolleyes:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 25, 2017

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

then he's either celibate, not receiving communion or receiving it illictly, lol

why do you hate gay people. did a pride parade scare you as a child?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Senju Kannon posted:

why do you hate gay people. did a pride parade scare you as a child?

that is literally the position of the roman catholic church and my personal opinion does not come into it. it's one of the three.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

why do you not want to engage a crazy tranny who thinks you're okay with dead children as long as they're the wrong sexual orientation?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

that's between him and his spiritual director, this poking your nose into whom an adult man (of, I assume, decent social status? he's in college so let's say gentleman) chooses to gently caress is very 19th century, I can tell you right now half the people I study would barely care. Your beliefs are anywhere from 200 to 150 years old, which is a blink of the eye compared to the ways people have lived throughout the centuries. Why make Bel_Canto modern?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

that is literally the position of the roman catholic church and my personal opinion does not come into it. it's one of the three.

so you hate gay people because the church says so. way to exercise your personal conscience there, chernobyl klansman

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

HEY GAIL posted:

that's between him and his spiritual director, this poking your nose into whom an adult man (of, I assume, decent social status? he's in college so let's say gentleman) chooses to gently caress is very 19th century, I can tell you right now half the people I study would barely care.

i deeply dont care who he fucks or what he does with his life or whatever (and i agree with the thread's consensus, before it was closed because one guy said "pagan poo poo is not christian", that the obsession with sexuality is largely a 19th century artifact), but there's a limit to how trad you can claim to be while also ignoring church doctrine

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

All you have to do is put them on ignore. It's a magic little button that stops you from seeing their posts.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

i deeply dont care who he fucks or what he does with his life or whatever, but there's a limit to how trad you can claim to be while also ignoring church doctrine

but trads are defined by ignoring church doctrine. why can you ignore the second vatican council when the church has the right to call ecumenical councils together but not ignore teachings on sexuality that conclusively lead to dead children?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slimy Hog posted:

All you have to do is put them on ignore. It's a magic little button that stops you from seeing their posts.

they're just giving me permission to shitpost at them since they've made it clear they hate it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah this isn't offensive or trolly at all :rolleyes:

like my first draft of this post was just "gently caress you". this is because you (i.e. chernobyl kinsman) are a serious piece of poo poo if you think the term "catechism based" only refers to your (possibly heretical) brand of Catholicism and doesn't have hugely bigoted and arrogant implications across wide swaths of Christianity outside of your narrow pseudo-intellectual bubble

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Senju Kannon posted:

while you were studying the catechism i was studying contextual theologies including comparative theology/theology of religions and interreligious dialogue.

While you were studying comparative theology I studied the blade.

Or the pike if you're HEY GAIL

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Senju Kannon posted:

so you hate gay people because the church says so. way to exercise your personal conscience there, chernobyl klansman

friend my personal conscience doesn't come into it because i'm not the one who gets to decide whether one's communion is licit or illicit. if you're living in sin, as defined by the catholic church, then your communion is illicit (and a further sin), as defined by the catholic church

if you dont care then whatever, i dont care if you dont care

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

friend my personal conscience doesn't come into it because i'm not the one who gets to decide whether one's communion is licit or illicit. if you're living in sin, as defined by the catholic church, then your communion is illicit (and a further sin), as defined by the catholic church

quoting unedited post for shame/posterity

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Cool. So can we stop this lovely conversation so our thread doesn't get locked again?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lutha Mahtin posted:

quoting unedited post for shame/posterity

is this a new concept for you or like what's up

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

is this a new concept for you or like what's up

do you really see nothing wrong with that awful post

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do you really see nothing wrong with that awful post

not doctrinally no, i can't speak for your moral position

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i woulda studied the blade but there's no kendo school near me and the iaido school makes me uncomfortable because they teach a wwii style that was taught to officers and i'm not gonna learn techniques that were probably used to butcher chinese and korean women and children and american gis I GUESS

there a reason you're externalizing responsibility for making a value judgment on this? like you seem to be placing this outside of the realm of personal responsibility. the question isn't so much "does the church teach this" but "is it right that the church teaches this" and you're answering the first question when that's not the main issue, it's the second question that's important. this is why i consider a lot of conservative theologies to be intellectually bankrupt; rather than seeking to advise the church in what should or should not be, they merely repeat what the church teaches like a parrot or attempt to offer flimsy justifications for what has already been taught. this was especially common post vatican i when neo-scholasticism was common and the intellectual tradition of the church was lost in favor of re-phrasing the same ideas that aquinas had without quite realizing that the brilliance of aquinas was that he was considered a heretic at the time. theologians and lay people who are satisfied with the church saying something and never questioning it are the same people who would sit idly by while their jewish neighbors were sent to ghettos and camps. obeying authority is not a virtue if the authority is not virtuous. even confucius and mencius, who advocated for central authoritarian governments, knew that if a king is bad then the people have the right to remove the king. if the teachings of the church are bad isn't that evidence that the church has moved beyond what god's inspiration allows for? things have changed before; they'll change again. why do you people pretend like sexuality and gender won't when the church's teachings on them already have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Black is white if the Church says it to be so, I grumble under my breath.

• Locked thread