Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

deadgoon posted:

im listening to the tarfu report and im supposed to feel bad for some bankers because they're "the good ones" and also chinese?

we just have to applaud any bank who isn’t actually comitting rampant massive fraud at this point i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i’d take whale vomit off there

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

op please add the daou of politics

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the TARFU Report is no more.........

statements by Taibbi:

quote:

I have decided to discontinue the TARFU report. I like and respect Alex Pareene too much, and too genuinely wish him every success in life, to ask him to continue answering questions about his association with me. This I do despite my continued insistence that I have never made advances or sexually suggestive comments to any employee in any office, here or in Russia, nor have I ever been accused of anything remotely like that, anywhere, by anyone. I apologize sincerely to listeners of the show and to its behind-the-scenes contributors.
https://www.facebook.com/matt.taibbi/posts/10155410355894652

and Pareene:

quote:

My father had a heart attack a week ago. I say this not to invite sympathy—there are few things I hate more than discussing my family life online—but just to explain where I’ve been. Because the internet is a machine engineered to produce anxiety, which I manage to produce plenty of on my own, I took Twitter (and Slack) off my phone while I was visiting my father in a hospital halfway across the country. While I’ve been offline, my podcasting partner Matt Taibbi has been asked to reckon with his past once again. He reached out late last week to let me know he has decided that we should end our podcast, The Tarfu Report. If it weren’t for my own situation, I might have argued against it, but I’m not feeling very funny at the moment myself.

As of today, I’m back to work, and back online. I’ve never thought it was appropriate for me to speak for Matt, and he’s never asked me to defend him, but I still ought to explain myself to everyone who’s asked me about him over the last week (and earlier). When he first approached me about working with him at First Look Media a few years ago, I was well aware of the Exile stories. But he told me then, and has told me numerous times since then, that the worst poo poo described in that book simply didn’t happen—that it was fabricated by his former collaborator, who thought it was funny or cool or satirical or something else completely unclear. I believe Matt. Maybe that’s naive or self-serving of me, and maybe you don’t believe him, but based on everything I know about the people involved, I do.

This doesn’t explain or excuse every single dodgy thing Matt’s ever written—or not written, but attached his name to—over the years, but it’s why I’m comfortable working with him. As far as I’ve ever known, there’s no long line of accusers or “open secrets” about his behavior, just dumb poo poo he wrote, and worse poo poo his former partner wrote, that he regrets.

I don’t think Matt is the character he played in the ‘90s. I think he said and did some idiotic poo poo, but nothing monstrous. And I know he sincerely regrets it, and has spent years working to be a better and more enlightened journalist and human being.

I’ll miss doing the show with him and I hope you enjoyed it.
http://pareene.kinja.com/on-the-tarfu-report-1820029536

at least we'll always have "jewel or mao," "the unabomber or malcolm gladwell," and the hitler one with the evangelical dude i can't remember

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

left coast back with a good ep about twitter, sexual harrassment/assault on the left and in the media, and the weinstein fallout

https://twitter.com/leftcoastpod/status/926287018283462658

• Locked thread