Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Troy Queef posted:

can you rec a different one because I give negative shits about academia and professors

i liked this one, or rather, the interview with some of the older DSA women in the second half. good poo poo. though they also include several minutes of a 5 year old telling jokes which seemed a bit out of place and weird.

https://soundcloud.com/seasonofthebitch/intergenerational-organizing

i listened to SotB for a while when it started but yeah, 'dry' is probably a good descriptor. the info they present is interesting and i don't want to hate on it, but given that i tend to listen to podcasts to alleviate a miserable commute, it just didn't fit in for me. my assumption was that they were still new and that with a little practice they'd find a natural rhythm and it'd come together better... actually, now that trillbillies is on hiatus, i should give them another shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

gradenko_2000 posted:

the X-Wing series was good

i started re-reading it last week when i was stuck at home with the flu

and no. no it's not. Stackpole is not a good writer. Allston is better but...

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/Mic_Dicta/status/952325646990102528

alright, hopping on this one then.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
i definitely have to to add my own recommendation for Mic Dicta, America's best-named legal podcast. It's amusing, it gets into some complex legal issues in enough detail to be interesting but without getting too deep as to be inaccessible to anyone, and it's kind of a nice companion to Chapo because current events legal topics will tend to overlap.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
not a lefty pod, but the first season of Slow Burn is decent, interesting background on the Watergate scandal.

only 8 eps, about 4-5 hours total listening time, doesn't get bogged down in minutiae but definitely covered a lot of poo poo i'd never read about. dude doesn't hide that he's doing it because of the Trump poo poo going on but doesn't harp on it... frankly he doesn't need to, the similarities are pretty clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
another case of 'not exactly a lefty pod', but Revolutions is a good listen for a few reasons. each season covers the history behind some revolution in world history or other.

partly i recommend this because the history is interesting poo poo, in particular in that he goes into good detail on the real reasons behind the assorted poo poo that went down, as opposed to the normal high school history you get that steamlines it down to "the colonists were upset about taxes and threw tea into the harbor and then we won the war of independence". this is especially true of the very lengthy third season about the French revolution.

but mostly it's good because he also goes into some detail about the assorted organizing praxises... praxii? praxes?... that the revolutionary groups used to get poo poo together always initially politically, and then when the need inevitably arose, to enact change by some measure of force. intentionally or not he covers the how and they why of that organizing, and after the fact, the what worked versus what got the Girondins guillotined (hint: they got called out on twitter for being ablist).

Edit- and just now it looks like Chapo dropped an interview with the guy, weird timing.

Iridium has issued a correction as of 16:36 on May 23, 2018

• Locked thread