Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
His attorney really should not have let SBF ramble on. He should have just read a prepared statement, he only made things worse.

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1773368274643722349

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Why was there no coordination between him and his lawyers? Lawyer should have told him to stfu.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If SBF should ever start another company, let it be for GED tutoring, he's apparently pretty good at it and he doesn't have to be awkward around the mega-rich and celebrities anymore. Everybody wins!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

busalover posted:

Why was there no coordination between him and his lawyers? Lawyer should have told him to stfu.
Does the fried bank man seem like someone who listens to good counsel?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

busalover posted:

his unwillingness to listen to his lawyers telling him to shut the gently caress up is why the actual good lawyers fired him as a client when he was going on tv giving a confession tour because he didn't realize his defense was admitting that he committed a different kind of fraud

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The famed vegan defense.

Not sure how you go from "awkward math nerd" to "beautiful puzzle" to "billionaire who doesn't need to worry about material possessions" without thinking you might have lost the plot at SOME point along the way.

I mean, he sounds like he needs to be in a Hannibal Lecter cage forever, but I don't want to be unduly influenced by the opinion of... (checks notes)... the DEFENSE???

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, I remember this from when we were discussing it last year. What's loving him is the amount of money stolen, which literally exceeds the maximum value listed in the offence level guidelines. That was getting him most of the way to 43 on it's own.

Edit: I went back and checked, and he blew through the roof of the 'How much money stolen = How hosed you are' table by over an order of magnitude. That was 30 points on it's own. Lol.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 28, 2024

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
they should give everyone who owns crypto life in prison imo.

Nov 6, 2002

This judge is about to obliterate him.

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1773372247769592014

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1773376299626574125

Just 25 years!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BrewingTea posted:

Not sure how you go from "awkward math nerd" to "beautiful puzzle" to "billionaire who doesn't need to worry about material possessions" without thinking you might have lost the plot at SOME point along the way.

I mean, he sounds like he needs to be in a Hannibal Lecter cage forever, but I don't want to be unduly influenced by the opinion of... (checks notes)... the DEFENSE???
After the first 20 years of hard time I'd support checking him into a care facility for man toddlers who can not critically think or make decisions afforded to citizens of majority age.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Realistically what is 25 years for him? half of that, 1/4? good behavior etc despite we know he'd never fit that category. And the consecutive sentencing thing?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
25 years isn't a terrible sentence but drat did the judge hate him

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Realistically what is 25 years for him? half of that, 1/4? good behavior etc despite we know he'd never fit that category. And the consecutive sentencing thing?

it's a federal sentence, so the max that can be taken off is (iirc) 15% for good behavior. there is no parole. so minimum he's spending 20 years actually in jail.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

All his banks, fried

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

orange juche posted:

All his banks, fried

His brain is fried too.

Sam Brainman Fried

Nov 6, 2002

The dude could have some crypto stored away somewhere that in 20 years will set him up nicely. This sentence is so stupid.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Nice

They should get his parents next, they are extremely culpable

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

The dude could have some crypto stored away somewhere that in 20 years will set him up nicely. This sentence is so stupid.

If he moves crypto now (or has someone move it for him) he might catch the ire of the court again and catch additional years on his sentence. If he just holds it and tries to dump it in 20 years, he might be rich or he might be holding on to the modern equivalent of beanie babies or pogs. :shrug:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

did a hearty LOL when I read the news, that Sam Bitcoin Fried had been sentenced to 25 years in prison

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

It's more than I thought he would get

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Is this his only criminal trial?

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

funeral home DJ posted:

If he just holds it and tries to dump it in 20 years, he might be rich or he might be holding on to the modern equivalent of beanie babies or pogs. :shrug:

Well, there's a 75% chance of the former, I think everyone would agree

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Sam, 2050, frantically looking for the coconut tree where he buried a usb wallet of memecoins

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Jumping in just to say I'm disappointed it wasn't more. The max potential was way higher, and frankly I was hoping they'd make an example out of him....

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The fried bank man is ultimately illegally dopey and it is a terrible irony that all his slimy accomplices plead out to turn evidence on a man who was dopey enough to go on a talk show circuit detailing his crimes publicly.

Just completely illegal levels of idiot.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Could somebody summarize so I (and presumably others) don't have to click on a dozen twitter links?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I wonder if any of the offered plea deals were below 25yrs.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

cruft posted:

Could somebody summarize so I (and presumably others) don't have to click on a dozen twitter links?

mark karpeles crawled so SBF could run (to prison)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cruft posted:

the hearing went as bad as it could have for SBF, up until he got probably the lightest sentence he could reasonably hope for (25 years)

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

cruft posted:

enable embedded tweets so you don't have to click on anything

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LordArgh posted:

enable embedded tweets so you don't have to click on anything

not seeing that in my user options. I do have experimental features on.

It's okay, now we have a record of what happened in the thread, for when Twitter disables the ability to embed tweets.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
WTF have you guys been doing? I leave for a while and BTC hits an all-time high. You were supposed to prevent that from happening.

Also, why? Wall street poo poo or something?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
hopefully SBF's parents go to jail too, they were directly involved in this poo poo.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

The dude could have some crypto stored away somewhere that in 20 years will set him up nicely.

That's a LOL on multiple levels

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah the guy who spent customer funds on a penthouse nerd orgy pad in the Bahamas is free of material desires.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Saying to the judge at my fraud sentencing "Of course I'd commit fraud again if I could" is a banger of a legal tactic I just came up with and I'll let you all know how it goes

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Guys I have some bad news

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Froghammer posted:

Saying to the judge at my fraud sentencing "Of course I'd commit fraud again if I could" is a banger of a legal tactic I just came up with and I'll let you all know how it goes

trying to commit a fraud during your plea for mercy

otoh it seems to have worked well enough so ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

how the gently caress does this square with only 25 years

bullshit