Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
but what if you put a binary blob on the blockchain??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

There's always the other one, "free as in piano". It's free, but now you have to deal with a piano.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
seriously does anyone have the trying to modify your toaster RMS thing

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Spazzle posted:

I was never quite sure what the point of that was supposed to be.

One doesn't cost money, the other is unencumbered by restrictions. With regards specifically to software, there are plenty of things that don't cost money but there are various licenses and copyrights etc that restrict what you can do with it. The reverse could also be true but that's pretty unusual.

It's a reasonably important distinction, but the whole Free-as-in-speech/Libre bullshit is presented in a way that I suspect is purposefully confusing to people who aren't already trapped in a Libertarian k-hole.

At the end of the day your average user really just wants to know if this Word replacement their son in law is pushing on them is something they need to pay for or not, and anyone who has opinions about being able to edit programs or knows what the GPL is can already figure out what they need to on their own.

It's also a great way for people to grandstand about stuff that 99.9999% of people couldn't care less about and to act like their choice in computer software makes them a revolutionary fighting for freedom.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

One doesn't cost money, the other is unencumbered by restrictions. With regards specifically to software, there are plenty of things that don't cost money but there are various licenses and copyrights etc that restrict what you can do with it. The reverse could also be true but that's pretty unusual.

Does gnu count as unusual?

quote:

[...]
You may have paid money to get copies of a free program, or you may have obtained copies at no charge. But regardless of how you got your copies, you always have the freedom to copy and change the software, even to sell copies.

e: Arguably yes. But considering the subject matter of this conversation, I couldn't resist mentioning that it's the distinction they use.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 15, 2024

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://youtu.be/dMNtaDcKU8w

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

At the end of the day your average user really just wants to know if this Word replacement their son in law is pushing on them is something they need to pay for or not, and anyone who has opinions about being able to edit programs or knows what the GPL is can already figure out what they need to on their own.

While true, I much prefer software named something like libreOffice than GIMP. Had work meeting with non-it people where have discussed open source software, and yeah always have to do a "yeah sorry about the names, nerds going to be nerds about naming stuff, what can you do" before bringing that one up.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

GIMP is a great example of FOSS people being out of control. Both the name and the interface.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

At least they ditched the dumb "everything is a separate window" in favor of a normal interface. You can still undock the toolboxes and have them as separate windows if you want.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Oh did they go back on that? I figured out how to turn it off immediately and never looked back

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

spiritual bypass posted:

The BSD license already did what anyone actually needed from the GPL (protecting software authors). The GPL, meanwhile, completely failed to anticipate that distributing source would be really easy in the future and that binary distributors would be pracitcally useless even when forced to distribute source code. BSD already had a good Unix toolchain. Stallman rewrote the whole thing as GPL code for Linux as an act of self-absorbed fanaticism, totally redundant before it was even started.

This seems historically jumbled.

GNU was already distributing gcc, emacs, gdb, and other core tools before the 1989 release of BSD Net/1, the first freely-available version. The GPL and the BSD license came out more or less at the same time, in 1989, with the GPL being a unified version of other GNU licenses already in use and the BSD license being the one written for the Net/1 release.

GNU tools weren't written for Linux, which didn't hit the public until 1992... but coincidentally from 1992 to 1994 there was a major lawsuit around BSD's licensing/copyright status, which almost certainly nudged Linus toward using GNU tools for Linux (he's also stated that if BSD's status hadn't been in such question, he might not have bothered writing Linux at all).

Back in the days when proprietary Unixes proliferated, it was pretty common to also install the GNU utils alongside whatever your OS shipped, because the stock stuff would often be missing conveniences people liked, and of course gcc was rapidly becoming the de facto compiler so you'd want that around.

Neito posted:

directly SSHing to port 80/443 and grabbing the raw code

you could telnet to port 80 and type "GET /" or whatever but ssh obviously wouldn't work.

and you couldn't telnet to port 443, really, because it's gonna try to do a TLS handshake

He could use wget, though, which is a GNU tool that connects to an HTTP(S) server and fetches whatever you want.

Anyway I didn't expect to be posting about GNU poo poo in the bitcoin thread but here we are. Fun.

Nov 6, 2002

I kinda have a morbid curiosity of how RMS does his taxes. Seems like it would present a lot of problems if he insisted on sticking to his principles.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I kinda have a morbid curiosity of how RMS does his taxes. Seems like it would present a lot of problems if he insisted on sticking to his principles.

I'm not clear on how he even earns money.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

He could just do them on paper?

Nov 6, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

He could just do them on paper?

I would imagine he is earning income from a wide variety of sources. Are they all sending him paper documents? You don't think some of them would require him to login to a secure website and download them?

Also, do you think he would even do his own taxes? If not whomever he hires is surely violating all of RMS's principles while handling his PII.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I would imagine he is earning income from a wide variety of sources. Are they all sending him paper documents? You don't think some of them would require him to login to a secure website and download them?

Also, do you think he would even do his own taxes? If not whomever he hires is surely violating all of RMS's principles while handling his PII.

I mean I don't particularly like RMS so if you're angling for the One Weird Trick to prove he's actually a hypocrite, don't bother on my account, but yeah I find it pretty believable that the guy who's spent the last 40 years living like a hobo in pursuit of his particular ideology might actually sit down with Emacs in calculator mode & a paper 1080 and do it all himself if he's decided that's the only way to do it without non-free software.

edit: more likely the FSF just makes an intern do RMS's taxes, on paper of course.

Nov 6, 2002

I guess my point is that participation in the modern economy requires engaging with parties using (relatively) modern equipment and closed source software. I'm just curious how he navigates this.

Does he store all his money in a mattress?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Wait, does this guy not play video games?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Lammasu posted:

Wait, does this guy not play video games?

Too busy eating foot skin to game.

but no, probably not, he seems like the type who's idea of fun is digging into the code of an EMACS application

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

I guess my point is that participation in the modern economy requires engaging with parties using (relatively) modern equipment and closed source software. I'm just curious how he navigates this.

Pretty sure unless you've opted into electronic delivery in some way companies are required to provide you those tax forms via mail.

https://www.irs.gov/government-entities/federal-state-local-governments/requirements-for-furnishing-form-1099-g-electronically

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Neito posted:

Too busy eating foot skin to game.

but no, probably not, he seems like the type who's idea of fun is digging into the code of an EMACS application

Emacs has tetris, pong, and a text adventure built in, which should be more than enough for anyone who truly cares about Software Freedom

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Neito posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urcL86UpqZc

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Lammasu posted:

I'm not clear on how he even earns money.

He sells back conference food to attendees

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Probably the same way some breatharians don't die, offload everything to somebody else and pretend it's not your agency causing it.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

perfect in every way

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

People never quit Emacs, they just die at some point

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I don't know what an emacs is and I don't want to know.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
They mean iMacs but they keep spelling it wrong.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Lammasu posted:

what if your text editor was a programming language, and because of that your text editor was also an email client and web browser and IRC client and git interface and

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

a paper 1080

sounds like a sick skateboard trick

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Emacs is the star trek computer

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pham Nuwen posted:

what if your text editor was a programming language, and because of that your text editor was also an email client and web browser and IRC client and git interface and

if this was the case I'd probably be dead by my own hand

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

more falafel please posted:

There's always the other one, "free as in piano". It's free, but now you have to deal with a piano.

I've always heard that as 'free as in kittens'

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Can I make it work with a VR headset?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lammasu posted:

it's the bitcoin of text editors

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Tunicate posted:

I've always heard that as 'free as in kittens'

Yeah at my last startup that had an OSS version of the product the CEO’s favorite phrase was “free like a free puppy.” Specifically there were released binaries but not via package managers so upgrades were manual and basically only available by wget’ing Github.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

EMACS is a remnant of pre-multitasking systems, where having one application that can do email and web browsing and have a full LISP machine made sense; in an era where you can alt-tab to another window any time, it makes less sense.

vi/vim at least has the advantage of not needing a windowing system to run.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Neito posted:

EMACS is a remnant of pre-multitasking systems, where having one application that can do email and web browsing and have a full LISP machine made sense; in an era where you can alt-tab to another window any time, it makes less sense.

vi/vim at least has the advantage of not needing a windowing system to run.

vi has the advantage of being a text editor

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
(i (love (emacs)))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh