Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GentleReject
Jan 16, 2024
Blobs are on the blockchain, search Blob Ethereum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

more falafel please posted:

vi has the advantage of being a text editor

"EMACS is a fine operating system with a horrible text editor".

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

what if your text editor was a programming language, and because of that your text editor was also an email client and web browser and IRC client and git interface and

what if your web browser was a programming language, and because of that your web browser was also an email client and text editor and IRC client and git interface and MP3 player and Digital Audio Workstation and USB MIDI controller also it took 8GB of RAM

Emacs paved the way for this whole approach. People used to balk at its RAM footprint, but I noticed they stopped making those jokes around the time that the Gnome Terminal started using more RAM than Emacs.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 16, 2024

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

cruft posted:

what if your web browser was a programming language, and because of that your web browser was also an email client and text editor and IRC client and git interface and MP3 player and Digital Audio Workstation and USB MIDI controller also it took 8GB of RAM

Emacs paved the way for this whole approach. People used to balk at its RAM footprint, but I noticed they stopped making those jokes around the time that the Gnome Terminal started using more RAM than Emacs.

Considering one of the joke expansions of EMACS name (It stands for Editing MACroS, for the record) was "Eight Megs and Constantly Swapping" back when eight megs was huge, yeah.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Anyway look at us here in the bitcoin thread, rehashing a text editor slapfest like it's 1994.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

cruft posted:

Anyway look at us here in the bitcoin thread, rehashing a text editor slapfest like it's 1994.

There's no slapfight. For a slapfight, there have to be two sides that are equally powerless. Here, there's vim, and there's all the people who are wrong.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Neito posted:

There's no slapfight. For a slapfight, there have to be two sides that are equally powerless. Here, there's vim, and there's all the people who are wrong.

Is this you

https://youtu.be/9n1dtmzqnCU?si=XXg62Fn4CjhYuymv

Also notepad++ supremacy

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
ed or bust :yosbutt:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ed is the standard text editor

https://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jec/texts/ed.html

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I know! That's why I sed it!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

buttcoin stands for "buttcoin is not buttcoin"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
1 buttcoin != 2 buttcoins

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hire a goddamn designer you nerds they're more valuable than arguing about abstract methodology no one else gives a poo poo about. That's my take on 90% of arguments with software, especially open source poo poo.

People will use a worse program with a nicer interface and they're goddamn right to do so.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
my text editor of choice is JOE, which derails many arguments

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

syntaxfunction posted:

Hire a goddamn designer you nerds they're more valuable than arguing about abstract methodology no one else gives a poo poo about. That's my take on 90% of arguments with software, especially open source poo poo.

People will use a worse program with a nicer interface and they're goddamn right to do so.

People like RMS don't give a poo poo about normal people using software.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Paladinus posted:

1 buttcoin != 2 buttcoins

this would be true if the value of buttcoin was zero...

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

syntaxfunction posted:

Hire a goddamn designer you nerds
I dunno, a lot of today's professional gui designers are also out of control.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Neito posted:

Considering one of the joke expansions of EMACS name (It stands for Editing MACroS, for the record) was "Eight Megs and Constantly Swapping" back when eight megs was huge, yeah.

For entirely unrelated reasons, I just opened my SA Avatar (7.7kB jpeg) in a new tab, and saw that the tab was taking 36.8MB of RAM. :cripes:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

cruft posted:

For entirely unrelated reasons, I just opened my SA Avatar (7.7kB jpeg) in a new tab, and saw that the tab was taking 36.8MB of RAM. :cripes:

While not an excuse, the reason is that the tab spawns a whole new web page instance and wraps your image in some dummy HTML. You can go "inspect element" on the image and see that it has lots of cruft added because treating single pictures in a tab as a special case is hard or something

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

ymgve posted:

While not an excuse, the reason is that the tab spawns a whole new web page instance and wraps your image in some dummy HTML. You can go "inspect element" on the image and see that it has lots of cruft added because treating single pictures in a tab as a special case is hard or something

which proves that emacs is superior

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

which proves that emacs is superior

:hmmyes:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

ymgve posted:

drat it, I've waited 20 years for this joke to set up and now I can't think of anything other than "it already has my avatar, how much more of me does it need?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

People like RMS don't give a poo poo about normal people using software.

They call it engineer brain for a reason.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
EMACS is directly counter to the unix philosophy of an each tool being single-purpose.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The toolbox is a tool whose purpose is to hold other tools

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

So, I haven't had the time for a few months to check out this thread, but having scared up 15 minutes tonight, I came straight here, to the last page ITT.

Now, for someone not into old skool text editors, and without the time to read all the pages I missed, someone pls tell me, what's happened in the crypto world, in brief?

I see that Bitcoin has more than doubled in price since I last looked, but I'm not ignorant/brainwashed enough to think that means it's going "up Up UP!". I think I read the probable reasons for the price increase in a newspaper commentary article some weeks ago, but I forget what it said exactly.

Any major exchanges gone bust in the last 6-12 mo.? New scams? Any other notably funny stuff happened?

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 17, 2024

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

BigBadSteve posted:

So, I haven't had the time for a few months to check out this thread, but having scared up 15 minutes tonight, I came straight here, to the last page ITT.

Now, for someone not into old skool text editors, and without the time to read all the pages I missed, someone pls tell me, what's happened in the crypto world, in brief?

I see that Bitcoin has more than doubled in price since I last looked, but I'm not ignorant/brainwashed enough to think that means it's going "up Up UP!". I think I read the probable reasons for the price increase in a newspaper commentary article some weeks ago, but I forget what it said exactly.

Any major exchanges gone bust in the last 6-12 mo.? New scams? Any other notably funny stuff happened?

SBF's in jail for like 25 years or someshit.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Bitcoin has been accepted as the universal currency in every nation, collapsing the corrupt central banks and ushering in a new era of peace and prosperity

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

titty_baby_ posted:

Bitcoin has been accepted as the universal currency in every nation, collapsing the corrupt central banks and ushering in a new era of peace and prosperity

I guess it would be funny for entire nations to lose all their money when their president clicks a suspicious link

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Bitcoin is old news, the new hot thing is EMACS

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GnuCoin, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GnuPlusCoin.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

BigBadSteve posted:

Slow news days recently, OP.

Mostly just SBF going to jail and now your retirement portfolio has buttcoins or some poo poo where your broker speculates on the price of a buttcoin without having to actually transact buttcoins on the blockchain, I think. People swear up and down this is different than betting on horse races but I just can't understand how.

We're just killing time until everything comes tumbling down. I don't think any of us thought you could build a tower this tall out of playing cards.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

How does RMS tiktok?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Neito posted:

SBF's in jail for like 25 years or someshit.

:lol::lol: Thanks, best laugh of the evening for me.

I see there was an article in The Guardian three weeks ago mentioning SBF's sentence, and giving the author's opinion on how it has affected crypto prices.

"[Crypto] evangelists are preaching the good news that the industry has been purged of the Sam Bankman-Frieds, the Alex Mashinskys, the Do Kwons and the Changpeng Zhaos of the world. They proclaim that crypto can finally ascend from its purgatorial, 'wild west' days to become a respectable sector of the financial world blessed by regulators and speculators alike.

That exultant attitude has contributed to surging cryptocurrency prices, which surpassed previous all-time highs in the weeks leading up to Bankman-Fried’s sentencing of 25 years in prison on Thursday.

This relief is unjustified, as is the faith that the cryptocurrency industry will get better and be different. Since Bankman-Fried’s conviction, there have been no changes that would prevent a new crypto mania just as devastating as the last.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/commentisfree/2024/mar/28/sam-bankman-fried-prison-crypto-regulation"

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

cruft posted:

Slow news days recently, OP.

Mostly just SBF going to jail and now your retirement portfolio has buttcoins or some poo poo where your broker speculates on the price of a buttcoin without having to actually transact buttcoins on the blockchain, I think. People swear up and down this is different than betting on horse races but I just can't understand how.

We're just killing time until everything comes tumbling down. I don't think any of us thought you could build a tower this tall out of playing cards.

Hell, crypto news is so slow that Molly White's newsletter today was about AI. As thoughtful and well stated as usual. More interesting to read about than emacs.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

BigBadSteve posted:

:lol::lol: Thanks, best laugh of the evening for me.

I see there was an article in The Guardian three weeks ago mentioning SBF's sentence, and giving the author's opinion on how it has affected crypto prices.

"[Crypto] evangelists are preaching the good news that the industry has been purged of the Sam Bankman-Frieds, the Alex Mashinskys, the Do Kwons and the Changpeng Zhaos of the world. They proclaim that crypto can finally ascend from its purgatorial, 'wild west' days to become a respectable sector of the financial world blessed by regulators and speculators alike.

That exultant attitude has contributed to surging cryptocurrency prices, which surpassed previous all-time highs in the weeks leading up to Bankman-Fried’s sentencing of 25 years in prison on Thursday.

This relief is unjustified, as is the faith that the cryptocurrency industry will get better and be different. Since Bankman-Fried’s conviction, there have been no changes that would prevent a new crypto mania just as devastating as the last.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/commentisfree/2024/mar/28/sam-bankman-fried-prison-crypto-regulation"

"This is good for crypto"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kerbtree posted:

EMACS is directly counter to the unix philosophy of an each tool being single-purpose.

People spend too much time wanking about the Unix philosophy, it's not a fuckin dogma that'll get you excommunicated and you can't log in anymore, it's just a good way to make flexible tools.

And is there that much difference if the little small tools are compiled C programs invoked from an interactive shell, or interpreted Lisp functions invoked from an editor? Is piping a command to another command that different from invoking one function as the argument of another?

Poopy Palpy posted:

More interesting to read about than emacs.

Ban this sick filth from this, the emacs thread

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
They have this new boomer shooter called Brutal John where you have to kill aliens that have taken over the galaxy by controlling all the crypto miners. It keeps track of how many mining rigs you destroy.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ban this sick filth from this, the emacs thread

seriously

:mods:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Collateral Damage posted:

GnuCoin, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GnuPlusCoin.

Just be careful, GnuCoin’s NOT UnixCoin.