Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Oh god I googled it and it exists

Is it like term life insurance with a term of a week or something? You don't need a very long timeline for the risk of losing all your apes to approach 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Dabir posted:

Yeah as I understand it they'd just have to wait for one block to complete, then the software would see it's taking unusually long and make it easier. The one thing you can trust bitcoin to do is the part where it adjusts to keep the block rate fairly constant. Although I don't know if a big drop in total network power has ever been tested.

For Bitcoin the difficulty is adjusted every 2016 blocks, which is supposed to be about 2 weeks, so it's not quite as simple as suffering through one slow block. In fact, a large number of miners all shut down with only one block left before the difficulty adjustment, it wouldn't adjust downward enough because of the 2015 blocks that were processed at the regular rate.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't know which term is the right one, I just mean his exclusive rights to market his ape.

He has a non-exclusive license to create derivative content with his ape. Well, the original person who bought the token does, at least. It's unclear if or how that right would transfer on the secondary market.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Astrochicken posted:

You will own crypto and you will be happy.

https://twitter.com/FinancialProTip/status/1486248150906150912?s=20&t=iQ83vBx7Cz9YhYTgog2tbA

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Gutcruncher posted:

People saying that, are they talking purely in number of transactions, or percent? Cuz the former I could kinda see being true, but the latter? Hahahahahhahahah

There have to be way more than 7 illicit USD transactions per second, it would be impossible for Bitcoin to compete.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

"Masks are encouraged but not required" is a phrasing that really upsets me, because it ends up encouraging people to not wear a mask if they don't want to. If you want to encourage but not require masks, the way to do it is to say "please wear a mask".

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

inputfailed posted:

A Fire Upon the Deep except the skrode riders are slow because they have a mining trojan.

The Children of the Sky but I remember anything about it enough to make a Bitcoin joke.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Collateral Damage posted:

Wasn't Ethereum created specifically because people were unhappy with the high cost of bitcoin mining equipment? So it's designed to require more memory bandwidth than ASICs are capable of, while graphic cards are ideal for it.

Another level of "what about money crypto, but I have it instead of others?"

No, Ethereum was created specifically because Vitalik's World of Warcraft character was nerfed.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Darth TNT posted:

So reading all the pos talk, doesn’t that mean that it discourages trade completely? Because every time anyone sells or moves anything, their poo poo stake will have decreased.

Cryptocurrencies are deflationary by design; discouraging trade completely is a feature, not a bug.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

ymgve posted:

Are there any die hard miners that have forked eth and are still mining?

There's still the people who never forked eth and are still mining the chain where the DAO hack wasn't reversed, does that count?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

frodnonnag posted:

The big problem with thinking this is assuming you'd be able to navigate the literal minefield of exchanges to cash out, or assuming you'd be able to sell at the right time, or assuming you'd be able to keep the passwords and poo poo in line and not end up with a hard drive in a landfill.

There's also the risk that you might have become a true believer.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol this rules so hard

Some rich lefties like Chapo Trap House should buy enough to force him to have dinner with them (well not really but still imagine who WILL pay that, lol)

Of all the people who could possibly honor an NFT roadmap instead of rugging, why would Donald Trump be the first?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

evilweasel posted:

this is actually not a good argument

technical analysis is utter bullshit for a variety of reasons, but largely that it is chaotic behavior from the unpredictable interaction of countless numbers of people, with significant amounts of randomness added, and the "patterns" used are utter nonsense that work only in hindsight

if the number was thoroughly manipulated it is entirely possible you could do analysis on the number because you are looking at the actions of a small, discrete number of bad actors and trying to predict their next bad act, which is significantly less insane than trying to predict the movements of an entire market based on squiggles that the best-case scenario for the information being useful is "a random walk around the market's true analysis of inherent value"

But one of the ways that the numbers are manipulated is that the markets on which you can act on the numbers are run by bad actors who will wipe you out before you can profit from the predicable moves.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Spazzle posted:

The early social media sites (Friendster, MySpace) were so popular they became unusable at peak hours.

Bitcoin is so popular it's unusable at all hours.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The better question would be: "Would I have made more money by doing exactly the opposite of what he suggested?" At some point the advise is so bad that shorting anything he endorses would make you more cash.

You can do that. https://www.thestreet.com/etffocus/blog/inverse-cramer-etf-is-live

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Illuminti posted:

This is amazing.

"We simply invest in assets that increase in value more than inflation.

What if they don't?

No worries, we just use the money from when they did! Or we just ask people for more money!"

Mindblowing stuff

Wasn't SVB asking for money because their assets weren't increasing in value more than inflation what caused Peter Thiel to learn that banks don't hold every single dollar in liquid assets and tell all his friends to run the bank?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

VitalSigns posted:

Do you actually have to find shares to close out a short position if the shares go to zero

When I looked it up the other day the answer seems to that you make 100% profit, but you may want to close out the position early because your broker might continue to charge you fees for borrowing the shares.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

feedmegin posted:

Edit: ''The idea that people knew a thing or two in the '70s is strange to a lot of young programmers." -- Donald Knuth.

Hell, they know a thing or two about programming in the 1870s.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I realize the subject we're talking about here, but how exactly do you calculate the value of a unique item that no one has ever bought? Are there standing offers that the owner never accepts?

The unique item is part of a collection, and there's always some items from the collection listed for sale. The way that people cite the price of the lowest listing as the floor price to buy into the collection indicates that the unique items are actually to a large degree fungible.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

LiterallyATomato posted:

An employee in my department is a douchebag we all hate. His Teams profile picture is the Bitcoin symbol. I also heard him trying to convince another employee that investing in Bitcoin is a "five-year-plan."

There's not much of a point to this post. I just hope for a serious crash so he loses all his savings.

That's the beautiful thing about crypto; he's already lost all his savings with or without a crash.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

cruft posted:

I have a technical question about NFTs.

Okay, so people can get slurp juice or something and that changes your ape? Is that right?

I presume that's implemented by some code path executing which swaps out the JPEG linked to by the URL in the NFT with another one with laser eyes or whatever.

Isn't that the very definition of fungible?

You're thinking of "mutable". And for all I know, NFTs might be immutable, you may "slurp" your monkey by sending it to a black hole address and the monkey it "turns in to" is an entirely new NFT (assuming there's not some way to use multiple slurp juices on a single ape, but that seems ridiculous).

Fungible means "mutually interchangeable". If we play Liar's Poker and you win a dollar from me and I win a dollar from you, we're both exactly where we started even though the dollars we now have have different serial numbers than the ones we started with. The dollars are fungible. Monkeys are non-fungible because the tokens contain different URLs that point to different monkeys and this matters to someone in some way.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

El Spamo posted:

It's actually a bi-monthly curated box of snacks

The bimonthly that means twice a month or every other month?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

LifeSunDeath posted:

soon AI will mine bitcoin and run the scams, so labor cost will go down. hell we don't even need the deep pocket dummies, AI can just scam other AI for fake credits.

This is a minor plot point in Charles Stross' Accelerando that I have not ever really stopped thinking about since I read it.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

cruft posted:

Slow news days recently, OP.

Mostly just SBF going to jail and now your retirement portfolio has buttcoins or some poo poo where your broker speculates on the price of a buttcoin without having to actually transact buttcoins on the blockchain, I think. People swear up and down this is different than betting on horse races but I just can't understand how.

We're just killing time until everything comes tumbling down. I don't think any of us thought you could build a tower this tall out of playing cards.

Hell, crypto news is so slow that Molly White's newsletter today was about AI. As thoughtful and well stated as usual. More interesting to read about than emacs.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Time_pants posted:

It's actually fuckin crazy what a terrible idea this is and how literally nobody cares.

The SEC tried to care but a judge ordered them not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Splicer posted:

I missed this. Go on?

https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-court-says-sec-wrong-deny-grayscales-spot-bitcoin-etf-proposal-2023-08-29/

Then a few months later the SEC approved Bitcoin spot ETFs but Gary Gensler made it pretty clear in the accompanying statement that he still thinks nobody should be buying these things.

https://www.sec.gov/news/statement/gensler-statement-spot-bitcoin-011023 posted:

Though we’re merit neutral, I’d note that the underlying assets in the metals ETPs have consumer and industrial uses, while in contrast bitcoin is primarily a speculative, volatile asset that’s also used for illicit activity including ransomware, money laundering, sanction evasion, and terrorist financing.

While we approved the listing and trading of certain spot bitcoin ETP shares today, we did not approve or endorse bitcoin. Investors should remain cautious about the myriad risks associated with bitcoin and products whose value is tied to crypto.