Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

did anyone say shitcoin yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Prurient Squid posted:

poo poo, the AI that destroys humanity won't be a paperclip maximiser. It'll be trying to enforce copyright by taking drm to it's logical conclusion.
Makes me think of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JlxuQ7tPgQ

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sorry about the $3k you lost OP

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

look what you made me do: a lot of people have asked me to make NFT games and I won’t because i’m not a loving dumbass. now let me tell you why only a dumbass would get into NFT games.
Sorry if this has already been posted but it's a pretty good read.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Very serious question, did anyone say "shitpoocurrency" yet

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The first one is called "a scam working as intended"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

People bring him up like every other day, what threads have you been reading?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Somehow I always had the impression that Second Life was VR. No idea why.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pretty sure there's a mould situation going on there so I'm gonna day yes

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

did anyone say mt. gex yet

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

E: Already said

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

Old baseball cards and old comic books are worth shitloads of money because nobody thought they'd be worth a drat thing, so nobody bothered holding on to them, so if you did then you've got one of the few copies floating around.

I do not know if there's a crypto equivalent of the comic book bubble, in which everybody tried to artificially recreate the circumstances with a million SPECIAL FIRST ISSUES and fancy foil covers that aren't worth poo poo today because they were massively overproduced and kept in careful condition, but I'm sure that crypto will manage to do something equally loving stupid, if not dumber.

Is this not exactly what NFTs are?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Barudak posted:

Their 2021 financial results videogames were their largest revenue stream, and about 5x more revenue than the next biggest division.

Edit: I will continue to post Konami financial information until everyone just accepts they make a fortune in videogames and they suffered only success for their restructuring.

Didn't Japan introduce new gambling laws that obliterated their pachislot income? Last I heard before that was that they made more money from 1) pachislot and 2) health spas somehow

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They'll have a sad pile of ashes after they look at all their grand plans and realise the only thing they're actually capable of doing is the book burning.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Apple Watch is for people who still fantasise about being Dick Tracey.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's this:
https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/960568745298223104

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The other day, I was watching a video and the guy in the video said "Even Metallica are releasing" and I was mentally hunkering down for "NFTs", but it was a video from 2017 so he actually said "Funko Pops". Anyway I think that might say something about the cultural space this poo poo is occupying.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

BAYC is neo-nazis, apparently: http://gordongoner.com/

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Either the ape people used exactly 18 teeth by sheer coincidence when sketching out their SS death's head clone, or they went out of their way to recreate that one aspect of the original skull exactly without knowing what it means (lol ok), or they knew what they were doing because Nazis love that poo poo.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

Holy poo poo guys I just realized my uncle may be a Nazi. He lost his thumb and index finger in an "accident", 8 fingers + 10 toes is... 18!!! I'm not sure what to do with this information should I tell my aunt or you think she's in on it?

:ohdear: I always thought he was a little strange, but now that I have irrefutable proof I don't know what to do with it

has he cut his ears into the shape of lightning bolts and bought any weird German necklaces recently

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Kins posted:

In videogames:
https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1488118947329331203

The external developers that work with them as a publisher appear to have been just as taken by surprise, and just as displeased.
https://twitter.com/AggroCrabGames/status/1488224784760459266

The first I heard about this was someone else saying the first they heard about it was the backlash from the employees. NFTs are so disliked that the meta-backlash is coming out ahead of the actual news now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So, question, does Steam Marketplace actually give the ability for one game to look at items for another game? Like, could an increasingly hypothetical Team Fortress Three look at your TF2 cosmetics and let you use their TF3 versions if one exists?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Durzel posted:

No. Games can have crossover events and stuff, e.g. Fortnite with Spiderman, but even TF3 having support for TF2 cosmetics would involve an artist or several having to recreate it in the (presumably newer or different engine) game. The "TF3 versions" you speak of would have to be created, which means development work, which means $$$ that someone has to pay for. They wouldn't exist simply by virtue of the cosmetic existing in another game.

Yes, I know that bit, I literally just want to know if games are capable of seeing what items you have in other games.

Arcon posted:

And, while not common, games can, with permissions, look at other game inventories

There was a very very small window (removed because people got confused over it) where Portal 2 could read all of your TF2 hats.

This is what I wanted to know, cheers. I forgot about Portal 2, I do remember that happening now that you mention it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mozi posted:

games, like other things, are capable of doing whatever the people who build them design them to do

keep in mind that 'an item in a game' has no meaning outside of the game context in which it exists so the thought of transferring items from game to game is absurd unless the developers of those games specifically go through a great deal of extra effort to try to make that work somehow

Yes. Obviously. I was literally just asking if games have permission to ask Steam about items that don't come from them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SpiritOfLenin posted:

well i have learnt something today about which 'charity' organization hires death squads

about one of the "charity" organizations that hire death squads

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Can you mint NFTs from forever jail?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought Starlink was that toys to life game that had Star Fox in it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

Surprised no one posted the BAYC article from Buzzfeed!

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/katienotopoulos/bored-ape-nft-founder-identity

It’s about who’s actually behind BAYC, and apparently Coiners are pissed information has been put out.

quote:

(Disclaimer: This reporter owns one of those Olive Garden NFTs.)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's not floating point, it's a decimal. You don't use floating points for things where accuracy really matters.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Using a selfie... as a profile pic? It's so simple! Why didn't I think of that before?!

Selfies are outdated. Think about it. Entrusting the way you look to a genetic lottery? So much for the spirit of egalitarianism.

An actual argument made by a crypto fart huffer

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwaTRqtd5Ug
Criminal steals bitcoin, puts the addresses of the laundered money in Google Drive/Mycrimes (Private)/$wag.txt

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Georg Rockall-Schmidt also put out a video about the crypto couple, which has some photos of the ways they were completely failing to hide their crimes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEdlcQQ6mdY

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Uh, yes it does. It's a currency based on cryptography, that's what all the hashing to make blocks is about. What did you think it meant? A currency that was pretending not to be one?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

priznat posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/meowmeowmeuw/status/1501396257163685890

Keep holding those NFTs I'm sure they'll be worth lots!

That graph shape looks kind of familiar

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So, cool and good YouTube replacement app Vanced is getting killed by Google. They've been running it for years no problem, so what changed?

Well.

https://twitter.com/aseldesu/status/1503117413679869952

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They actually minted one apparently, so it looks to me like less a joke and more a """joke""". Either way, great job giving Google the excuse they needed.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Can someone explain the warlock jokes? I don't play wow and I'm lost

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh my god

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So, just checking:

If I sold the password to a web server hosting a JPEG of an orangutan - granting the owner exclusive access to said JPEG for just $10,000 US dollars - what’s the functional difference between that password and an NFT?

Someone else would need to know the password to access the image. This is not true of NFTs. NFTs are a receipt with a photograph on them, the seller will imply that you have ownership of the photograph but no rights to the photograph itself, practical or legal, are conferred by the sale of the receipt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If I correctly understand how the squidcoin scam worked, you could have the tokens themselves refuse to be transferred from a specific wallet ID.

E: Also you could just send them to a random public key known not to be used by anyone. There's an infinitesimally small risk that somebody would get them by accident when they generate a private key that links to that public key, but otherwise those coins would be gone.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 22, 2022