Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Is there a way to cash out at their nominal value that isn't shady as hell and like as not to take the bitcoins and run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

in tyool 2017 any prediction made based on the world not being the most impossibly, absurdly stupid place is being dashed

this includes bit coins

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 24, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

NihilismNow posted:

Should have invested in dual lands back in the day, now that was a investment opportunity.

i sold my collection including a 5-color type 1 deck with the power 9 to pay for my first wedding in 2000

:smithicide:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

spandexcajun posted:

It's not bitcoin, it's either, but I made $200 this weekend playing cryptokitties.co !

Finally, a litigate use for crypto. Eat it haters.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/03/people-have-spent-over-1m-buying-virtual-cats-on-the-ethereum-blockchain/

lol the cryptocats are now enough transaction volume that peeps are wringing their hands that it's at the expense of ~legitimate use~ of the cryptocurrency:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42237162

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

did you guys here that mtgox stands for "magic the gathering online exchange?"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Taima posted:

I spoke to an older professor at my University about Bitcoin. He's worried about it. (self.Bitcoin)

I spoke to a computer science professor about Bitcoin and other blockchain technology because I'm starting a club and looking for an advisor.

He told me he probably wouldn't be a good advisor, because he doesn't like bitcoin very much. Not wanting to be dismissive, I asked, "Why's that?"

He's worried that Bitcoin will become so valuable that it will render his USD retirement fund obsolete.

He believes bitcoin will go up so much that it he'll have no choice but to use it in the future.

After a short conversation with him, he sent me to a professor with blockchain experience and said he's buying a couple of books on Bitcoin.

Then he said I was very strong and handsome and gave me an A+ for the semester and everyone clapped.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ONE (1) bitcoin transaction now farts as much CO2 into the atmosphere as a typical passenger car does driving 40 miles.

The energy footprint of the Bitcoin Network for processing transactions is well over a thousand times that of Visa's, in spite of having orders of magnitude fewer transactions to process.

This is basically "rolling coal" for Extremely Online Libertarian tech nerds, and we need to pull the plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

http://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/man-who-ordered-3000-bitcoin-1103432

Dude bought mining gear and got sent a boss baby DVD.

The funny thing is this is just a more overt scam than the one he signed up for: "We're selling the Money Printing Machine rather than plugging it in ourselves because uh..."