Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Lmao

Nah it's fine actually, if there's a 51% attack the mining pools will balance themselves out and self-regulate. It's only trustless when convenient

It's not like one person with $20k to burn could bring down the whole network right?

$10 transaction fees are fine and good if someone just spams transactions, they just deserve to have those transactions more than my rent payment because I only added a $9 tip but now my money is stuck in limbo for hours until I can be sure it didn't go through (no, fees)

The halvening is actually good because transaction fees and libertarianism or something. Also look at the patterns in this 10 year log-scale chart of a non-exponential function I found on cryptobillionaire2day.biz

The economy is too volatile right now, too risky to buy stocks. Better buy crypto instead, much less volatile and less risky

Oh by the way, I have no actual BTC, just $800 locked in an exchange balance. But I'll crow anyway about bitcoins being the future of money and/or a great store of value. See? the website even says that it's safe in their TOS

Charities should use smart contracts on the blockchain also I huff farts

Bitcoins are good for preventing financial crimes like money laundering and fraud

There have I caught up to the thread now?

Edit: but really which rereg? Too slow of a burn to be seraph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

I've thrown a lot of poo poo in this thread, but I'm just going to tell you that public cloud service providers do not have that capacity available for some random buyer

Uh yes they definitely do, that isn't really near high-roller territory

They'll take your money if it's good (can't speak to aws but for gcp anyway)

Either way though, if someone wants to do it they can find a way. Look at what that stress test did to the network and transaction fees in a day for like $10k total or something

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Ad by Khad posted:

$10 transaction fees are a thing of the past, noted criminal-in-exile Roger Ver recently released some data showing 28000 different btc transactions where the sender paid more than $1000 as fees

Lol seriously? Wow I'm behind the times

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Just so you know, if you enter a digit wrong it doesn't go through. It's not like the money gets sent somewhere else, it simply doesn't get sent. Bitcoin is very resistant to typos because the addresses contain a built-in check code. So if you had simply mistyped a few of the letters or numbers in the address, it's extremely unlikely the client would let you complete a transaction with an incorrect address. You'd have to paste in another working address.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding about the blockchain. It is is no way anonymous.

What if I try to send some BTC to an altcoin address like bitcoin cash? One dropdown entered wrong, the checksum is fine, but whoops it's gone forever. That's been a really efficient way of decreasing the total supply though so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not

Also wallet QR codes being stickered over in restaurants/stores and website hacks that change wallet addresses are pretty funny. You can even easily have it show the correct address visually but make it copy a malicious one to clipboard! Neat! Be your own bank!

Although I guess the business world has moved on from accepting payment with bitcoins because why would a rational investor ever spend a deflationary asset. So maybe those are outdated attacks and it actually is fine, actually

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Bitcoins are highly fungible in that they can easily be converted into a bag of Amazon gift cards in a parking lot, so that part makes sense

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Programmable money and smart contracts sound cool, what language is it written in? I should check it out

Is it Lua? Actually probably not, likely is a typed language I'd assume

It's been years so there's probably lots of examples from successful smart contracts to go off of, got any links handy?

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Flowers for QAnon posted:

It’s fascinating how FC admits he doesn’t know anything about finance or investing, yet immediately has the hubris to think he’s the smartest one in the room on said subject.

Is there a general psychology term for this sort of phenomenon?

That's why they're called Dunning-Krugerands

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
If I'm being honest I am really enjoying the "bitcoins are Marxist, actually" take. At the very least that's a new one for me

The miners must seize the means of block production from the bourgeoisie mining pools

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Fleetwood Crack posted:

If you choose to believe bitcoin is a ponzi/pyramid scheme that's fine, but that's simply not the case. Sorry, but I'm not going to engage with you about this as I (and others) have already addressed those arguments in this thread.

I wonder what would happen to the bagholders if someone were to cash out 1% of the "market cap" in a short time

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

Does anyone still do ICOs, or did regulators firmly put a stop to what was a naked attempt at doing an unvetted IPOs "on blockchains"?

The SEC prosecuted a bunch of them IIRC

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Too bad we can't know whether the price will go up if the global economy starts dying

Oh well

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Bitcoins are legal in Canada, but if you ever send money to an exchange your bank will close your account within a day or 2

It's not worth the risk, because bitcoins are synonymous with fraud, money laundering, and drugs

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
bitcoins are a scam

bitcoins are a gambling too

star citizen bad

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Aaravos posted:

I think it's unfair to compare one crypto to the entirety of global banking. You'd compare the entire crypto economy's capabilities to it if you were interested in a fair comparison.

l'hopital had a word or 2 to say about that a while back. it's in the wiki

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
it really is something isn't it

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
doxxing is ok as long as they have a Wrong Opinion, right? like if they're against the Hive Mind Mod Cabal, it's not technically against the rules?

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Burt Sexual posted:

Wtf makes you think we all read Reddit and I’m not reading that wall of text. Jfc

Dude tries to explain ancap to Greek antifascists, who break the Non-Aggression Pact and drag his fascist rear end down the stairs until he cries

It's a pro click

quote:

Eventually one of the guys spoke up and I thought he was Greek, but he spoke English perfectly so he may have not been. He said he knew what anarcho-capitalism was and that we were basically fascists. He asked me if I thought everything should be private. And I said yes. And he asked me if I thought people were unequal. And I told him yes. And that not everyone would have equal rights. I said everyone has the right to own property and not be done aggression against. But that not everyone had to be treated equally by the owners. He said what about immigrants and racism. And I said that would not happen in a free market, but yes property owners could be racist if they wanted to. They had to respect property.

Then he called me a fascist again, and someone else said I was a fascist. And then they basically all started shouting fascist at me, and one of them grabbed me by the wrists. They pulled me out the door, it was up three floors, and basically drug me down the stairs on my back. It hurt really bad and I remember yelling "you're breaking the NAP" and things like that. "Stop initiating force against me." Then they kicked me around on the ground in the hallway, before they took my camera and threw me outside. I was crying and stuff, I just sat there. I was in shock because it was so sudden. Looking back there were warning signs though.

I think they felt bad for me and gave the camera back, but when I looked later they stole the memory card with all of my Greek photos.

So they initiated force and theft. They broke the NAP. I knew the left anarchists were not real anarchists, but I never knew they would do something that bad.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
1996 Toyota tercels represent a small percentage of global CO2 emissions, therefore if everyone just trades in for a 1996 tercel we c

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

ymgve posted:

it's cryptography magic that allows you to do math on numbers and everyone can verify the math is correct but only the recipient can see the actual numbers

and bulletproofs are faster and smaller in size than other implementations

it's used by monero, the number one way to launder your ill gotten crypto gains

asymmetric key encryption is just about 40 years old

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Hello Sailor posted:

Is this thing where some people pretend they've never heard of the word "cryptography" really still going on? It's never been funny.

The "crypto" in "cryptocurrency" doesn't mean "cryptography" my dude

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Lol

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

vortmax posted:

No it's crypto as in cryptozooology

Ugh I'm so sick of all this nft poo poo

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
facts
u
dislike

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Hmm? No, I wanted to help develop a project in the naive theory it would work out. Why would it be assumed I wanted to rug?

No. I have a decade of looking at charts and reports, from IT work as a network engineer/monitoring engineer and so on. It's not all that weird to look at charts and trends for any other asset classes, but it's not like technical analysis is anything but hated by most people anyway. Not everyone does some ghostty garbage, and it's not going to magically make fortunes. In the end, it's about 90% math applied to statistical data. If you don't like technical analysis then I bet you really don't like when people apply moving averages to covid statistics, either.

lmao

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

perfect in every way