Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

CrazyLittle posted:

funny... I didn't order a toaster

put it on its side and make grilled cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

That's a big box...

Breville really stepped up their packaging, but it's awfully heavy

What's on the floppies???? I haven't had time to set it up yet

Cellist, crack addict, prostitute---

Which one are you?

I'm the decor

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

floppies are blank - that USB floppy drive is plug n' play w/ modern macs

im the prostitute

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
if the floppy drive just makes horrible noises when you put a floppy in it and won't eject, it's probably just stripped out eject gears (the grease dried up). you can buy new ones on ebay & grease up the drive.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

if the floppy drive just makes horrible noises when you put a floppy in it and won't eject, it's probably just stripped out eject gears (the grease dried up). you can buy new ones on ebay & grease up the drive.

are you holding technical data?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM_sAxrAu7Q

cuz your bunny is gonna get rekt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7-5WYOKxE

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Santa I will post pics when I get back into town in a day or so.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

eschaton posted:

suffix I see that another package was received, did you get it?

yes, i picked up part 2 yesterday, sorry for the delay :)

not shown: ludicrious postage

ok so we have a paper bag with the apple™ logo:

a cool t-shirt:

and a book:

tucked inside the book is a mouse pad:

never again will i accidentally open the VLC media player!

and a selection of handy software:

and finally, at the bottom of the package, lies the much needed adapter:

now that we finally have an adapter to a "modern" video format, we can dig up the only thing with a vga input in the house and boot this sucker up! :bubblewoop:

:negative:

i tried fiddling with the switches but that and the mac boot sound is all i got out of it :(

i can borrow a better monitor to try with, but it will be another couple of days. should i expect any monitor that's not a pos to handle it?

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i'm gonna be honest here tho if the design is a reference to some sci-fi movie gun or something i dont get it.

yeah i have no idea either

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

suffix posted:

Doesn't the adapter have a sticker explaining which position the dip switches have to be in for a particular resolution? The webpage I found claims that 1234 ON is the correct setting (like in the picture)
It might be set to a funny resolution in the PRAM, you can reset it by holding command-option-P-R while turning it on, it should chime twice after a while.

Does the mac sound like it's booting? There should be loud hard drive noises.

It warms my heart to see so many receiving the gift of beige macs.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
i assume its more of a monitor problem, modern monitors may balk at any lower resolution other than 640x480 and 1028x768, and likely will not accept sync on green signalling

i ended up using only the short ones with the specific supported resolutions printed on them (KDS?) and those haven't really failed where the DIP switch ones usually make for a whole lot of rebootin'

if the g3 doesn't have the 4MB RAM SODIMM for the onboard video, let me know and i'll send you one, it lets you run more modern 4:3 resolutions

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

its just that the floppies don’t “stick” in the drive, like they just pop right back out. i think you may be able to use an iomega zipdrive on the rear port anyway. i would have sneded something like that but didnt figure out the drive was broked till the night before :( still yospos af tho

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

suffix posted:

yes, i picked up part 2 yesterday, sorry for the delay :)

not shown: ludicrious postage

ok so we have a paper bag with the apple™ logo:

a cool t-shirt:

and a book:

tucked inside the book is a mouse pad:

never again will i accidentally open the VLC media player!

and a selection of handy software:

now that we finally have an adapter to a "modern" video format, we can dig up the only thing with a vga input in the house and boot this sucker up! :bubblewoop:

:negative:

i tried fiddling with the switches but that and the mac boot sound is all i got out of it :(

i can borrow a better monitor to try with, but it will be another couple of days. should i expect any monitor that's not a pos to handle it?

yeah, there should be a combination of settings that’ll let it see the monitor as multi sync VGA

try 3 up (1024x768) with various combinations of 4, 5, and 6 up (those adjust sync)

you should be able to boot from the Mac OS 9.2.2 disc and install an OS that includes a browser that can access the ‘pos, making it a posting station

another combo to try is 1,2,6 which should tell the Mac your monitor is a 21in multi sync and let it pick whatever resolution

eschaton fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 31, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
some stuff arrived yesterday, just in the nick of time!

it's funny, i asked my wife for a thermometer and it was the one present i didn't get that i kinda needed. also the art book is siiick. pretty ironic that the games themselves were too primitive for much expression.

also a note/apology from my almost tardy santa

no problemo my dude thanks for the gifts!

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

latent santas:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

its just that the floppies don’t “stick” in the drive, like they just pop right back out. i think you may be able to use an iomega zipdrive on the rear port anyway. i would have sneded something like that but didnt figure out the drive was broked till the night before :( still yospos af tho

I just (like last night) fixed this on an Amiga, it's probably that the little springs inside the drive have rusted together. I cleaned mine with Deoxit and the drive started accepting floppies and working properly again.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I ated the chocolate grahm crackers and they were good. the marble bar is ok. I now have diabeetus and died

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
RIP CrazyLittle, got yosmas and died

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Roosevelt posted:

latent santas:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
happy new year who didn't get their presents

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
got home late last night from vacation and: no presents 😨😰😥😓😭😠😡🤬

gently caress u santa. i wanted my gifts and u had months to figure them out. if theyre not here by midnight, ur Banned

Smythe posted:

if ur gift hasnt arrived by new years day im going to ban you mother fucker. thats how its done in polite society. you are all ostensibly computer professionals and can surely handle the freaking post office. if youre doing international ss you should ship by dec 1 at the latest. hth

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
Cant wait to see the mass banning which will be happening really soon. OP, please make a list of those that have not posted their gifts and include their associated santa. We will need to get on this quick so Smythe can keep his word.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

don't touch my santa until i reach our moronic courier service please

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

obstipator posted:

got home late last night from vacation and: no presents 😨😰😥😓😭😠😡🤬

gently caress u santa. i wanted my gifts and u had months to figure them out. if theyre not here by midnight, ur Banned

I have it on good authority that nobody has yet received a gift from you. :raise:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

tis the season to get the bans ready

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

The votes are in! :frogsiren:

Well, everyone on my list either has confirmation from their santee, or have posted proof of shipping to me. So, no bans will be necessary. We are however waiting on a shortlist of santees to post:

[list]
[*]Vodkat hasn't posted yet, but mentioned there's something in the mail
[*]kwinklesOFFICIAL should have a box according to the tracking info
[*]cinci zoo sniper stated they have something in the mail
[*]atomicthumbs should have 2 packages according to tracking (one of them is from me)
[*]Beast of Bourbon's santa shipped late, but still technically before the deadline. Expected delivery Jan 2
[*]jony ive aces received a partial gift but is supposed to be getting something more substantial at some point

Here's to a happy new year! :toot:

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Good luck to all the santas with packages still shipping 🤞
i hope they arrive before midnight so u dont get Banned

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

this is the 666th reply :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAglyEkdjxQ

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
Very excited for midnight tonite when many people get banned.

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
OP, please make a list of santees that havent yet posted their prezzies. That will make it easier to find out who to ban.

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
At the stroke of midnight tonite, we will enter the next year of our lives. Fireworks will be exploding in the form of mass ban buttons being clicked. iWatch will show neato fireworks in celebration, and android phones will probably be out of battery because of poor energy management and bad software.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
will post mine tonight been out of town since christmas, just flying back today.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Silver Alicorn posted:

• atomicthumbs should have 2 packages according to tracking (one of them is from me)

i am processing my raws, post will appear later today

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

processing my raws

look at mister fancy photographer over here

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
It's yosmas!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

cinci zoo sniper stated they have something in the mail

update: called state courier service, they are delivering the package tomorrow. checked the dates on some stuff i ordered from that country and it should be the gift, unless my pc parts were sent out by a person who can read the future

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Finally back to work, and things have been delivered

hmm...don't read latin

that explains that then

what the gently caress

clever girl, the weight felt legit! the hand warmers will come in handy for sure

a lot of linux/ubuntu stuff in here, who could my santa be, one gift left

ah, this explains the linux stuff

thanks ShadowHawk!

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

im surprised he didnt include a copy of wine (the windows emulator)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wine Is Not An Emulator

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
full thing:

thanks dur!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
Smiling hugely right now thinking about all the people getting banned for not sending gifts in time.

• Locked thread