Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

fart simpson posted:

why don’t the americans simply criminalize unlicensed fentanyl imports?

I wonder what caused Quaaludes(since to me seems similar to misuse) to be schedule 1 in the 80s? guess the drug maker didn’t have enough $$$ in Congress to prevent it.

looks like the US house passed something to make it schedule 1 but guess it isn’t going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Basically, it is just a smoke screen, the compounds that go into making fentanyl are relatively simple, and even then Mexico or the US could simply ban them if they felt like it. But Fentanyl itself is a very useful painkiller, which is probably why it is schedule 2 along with other painkillers.

Basically, the US is just saying "look over there" for someone to assign blame to while China is following the law, and the US can't figure out its own internal outcomes. If China started penalizing its own chemical companies for just existing and shut down all production, all it would do is make other foreign imports more competitive, and nothing would really change because the US/Mexico would just import than from India or Vietnam.

Is it really stupid and transparent? Yes, as we are talking about the US and the Biden administration.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:33 on Apr 17, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The US should seize all Fentanyl precursors from Chinese ships and set it on fire.

Also accuse Chinese ships hiring pirates as sailors.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 18:32 on Apr 17, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Japan is so hosed lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Some how I missed this news last month.
https://twitter.com/steveashleyplus/status/1768371840634744899?t=WeAALeedLSFQlgUnkYk0tQ&s=19

An electric magnetic launching system sound very cool, I don't remember reading it from scifi before.

Its paid walled so here is the daily mail version

quote:

Chinese scientists are working on constructing a giant electromagnetic rail gun that will be used to launch 50 tonne hypersonic planes into space.

Engineers and scientists in China have been working on the project - named Tengyun - since 2016, but following a recent series of significant advances made in both electromagnetic launch and hypersonic flight, they believe that soon, people could be sent into space.

The rail gun will essentially be a giant electromagnetic launch track used to accelerate a hypersonic aircraft to Mach 1.6 - meaning it will be travelling at almost twice the speed of sound (Mach 2).

Weighing 50 tonnes, the mammoth planes are set to be longer than a Boeing 737 at over 129ft.

Following the launch, the aircraft would then separate from the track, ignite its engine and enter space.

If the project is successful, the new technology could reduce launch costs to a fraction of the current price.

This makes it an attractive peice of technology for companies such as NASA and SpaceX - who still haven't cracked the code to successfully building an electromagnetic launch to this scale.

But creating these futuristic machines hasn't been simple.

Relying solely on the plane's own power for lift-off would require a significant amount of fuel and the team also faced difficulties in finding a way to combat the dangers of a low-speed take-off.

Engineers and scientists were then forced to make compromises in aerodynamic design and engine layout that affect the machines high-speed flight efficiency.

This is not the first time China have put forth projects of this nature - although many of them did not leave the drawing board.

But this time the scientists working on the Tengyun project are confident the current issues they are facing can be solved.

'Electromagnetic launch technology provides a promising solution to overcome these challenges and has emerged as a strategic frontier technology being pursued by the world's leading nations,' wrote team lead scientist Li Shaowei, in a paper published in journal Acta Aeronautica on February 6.

To test the theory, China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation (CASIC) will be using the 1.2 mile long low-vacuum track high-speed maglev test facility in Datong.

The original purpose of the lab was to provide a key test platform for the low-vacuum tube magnetic levitation train technology.

But because the facility can propel heavy objects to speeds of up to 1,000km/h, scientists are now using the base for aerospace testing.

Within coming years, the Datong test facility will be extended to 37.2 miles long, to achieve a maximum operating speed of a staggering 5,000km/h.

The lab is considered one of the most 'ambitious electromagnetic propulsion facilities on the planet' according to SCMP, which is why it will now be used to gather crucial scientific data for the space electromagnetic launch project.

China is not the only country to explore the creation of an electromagnetic space launch system and hypersonic planes, with NASA and the US Navy previously attempting to successfully bring the concept to life.

In the 1990s, NASA tried to build a mini test line of 49ft but only managed to complete around 32ft due to technical difficulties and lack of funds.

The ambitious project was eventually scrapped and military officials put their resources towards developing low-speed electromagnetic catapult technology instead.

The US Navy implemented the technology into the USS Ford but have publicly acknowledged the high failure rate of the electromagnetic catapult system.

Now, the US has shifted its focus once more, to work on the development of rail guns and hypersonic missiles.

China is continuing to make breakthroughs in their electromagnetic rail gun research, however, staying ahead of the game with their high-performance power supplies, precision control technology, and the development of electronic devices capable of resisting strong electromagnetic interference.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 19:35 on Apr 17, 2024

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

lol at Xi's armband

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

stephenthinkpad posted:

https://twitter.com/steveashleyplus/status/1768371840634744899?t=WeAALeedLSFQlgUnkYk0tQ&s=19

An electric magnetic launching system sound very cool, I don't remember reading it from scifi before.

Jules Verne described a cannon to launch spaceships, so no magnets, but the thoughts there.

e:Also 10000% sure that this is a cute way of saying they're going to have rail cannons on surface ships working non-experimentally really soon.

WhiskeyWhiskers has issued a correction as of 20:27 on Apr 17, 2024

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8lpXBEz-q8
??

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
they're all over scifi, just usually called a 'mass driver'

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Also worth mentioning that SCMP is absolute garbage when it comes to China and tech

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/business/status/1780748594129101299

oh no

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

won't someone think of the millionaire analysts?!?!?!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

lmao "I hate the ccp and don't doubt that they are doing it, but I'm doubting it"

Every time I think about Xinjiang now I remember some gbs china thread freak who was fantasizing about the all bodies they'd find afterward and boy wouldn't the tankies be sorry then

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Pack it up folks, china is over, so much corruption, trust us.

https://twitter.com/AMFChina/status...090%2Fpage-9150

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

They all got replaced by ChatGPT trained on reddit.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Pack it up folks, china is over, so much corruption, trust us.

https://twitter.com/AMFChina/status...090%2Fpage-9150

why is the adversary investing resources into helping the CPC? bizarre

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

lmao "I hate the ccp and don't doubt that they are doing it, but I'm doubting it"

Every time I think about Xinjiang now I remember some gbs china thread freak who was fantasizing about the all bodies they'd find afterward and boy wouldn't the tankies be sorry then

I've never been more disappointed in the Uyghur people than when they refused to be dead

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It has been 10 years now since the Sewol Ferry sank.
Where Sewol sank 10 years ago, a sea of tears as parents mourn lost children

Lol, we may get enough PPP defectors to make an impeachment possible.
He may send out Milton Friedman books to the populace to try and explain how correct he is.

‘Right direction’: After judgment day from voters, Yoon shrugs off calls for change

quote:

In the nearly 12 minutes of the televised opening remarks, Yoon strongly implied that nothing is wrong with his approach to governance

Even after the ruling party’s crushing defeat in the general elections on April 10, President Yoon Suk-yeol maintained on Tuesday that he has done his best to move the country in the right direction while only acknowledging that he didn’t do enough to make that change tangible to the public.

In his first direct remarks after elections that amounted to a punishing rebuke to his administration, Yoon still emphasized that the basic direction of his leadership is correct.

Koreans who spoke with the Hankyoreh shared their sense of dread. “Seeing [the president] insisting that he did a good job when he ought to be bowing humbly before the public makes me worried about the next few years,” one said.

In the nearly 12 minutes of the televised opening remarks, Yoon emphasized the progress he has made on managing inflation, normalizing the real estate market and rolling back the previous administration’s nuclear phaseout and strongly implied that nothing is wrong with his approach to governance.

“In terms of the bigger picture, these policies are designed to benefit the public, but we fell short in the details,” Yoon said.

Nor did Yoon specifically address a long-running dispute between the government and the medical community and a number of scandals that are thought to have been behind the ruling party’s disastrous loss in the general elections. Yoon had been slammed for appointing Lee Jong-sup, his former defense chief, as ambassador to Australia despite allegations that he had illicitly pressured the investigation of the death of a Marine in the line of duty. Yoon had also come under fire after his wife Kim Keon-hee accepted a gift of a luxury handbag in apparent violation of a graft law.

“If [the president] fundamentally changed his approach to government because of the election [results], that could mean not keeping his promise to the public,” noted a high-ranking official at the presidential office.

Yoon said he would “have to work closely with the National Assembly” while stressing that he would continue to push for reforms in the areas of labor, education, pension and medical services. But he didn’t directly mention letting the opposition, including Democratic Party leader Lee Jae-myung, take part in governance.

“Far from an apology, this was a self-righteous declaration that the president means to adhere to his bullheaded approach to politics,” said Han Min-soo, a spokesperson for the Democratic Party.

Kim Bo-hyeop, a spokesperson for the Rebuilding Korea Party, added that the president is “fully opposed to the popular sentiment confirmed in the general elections” and has “declared war against the public.”

He has made great strides in Japan relations too.

Japan officially says compensation of Korean forced laborers isn’t its responsibility

But, they have agreed to hug each other tightly as their currencies and economies are set aflame to keep the USA running
Korea, Japan finance chiefs vow to tame rampant FX market volatility

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
whats going on with korean won?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
It lost. :v:

It's down by around a quarter against the dollar, approaching its worst post-2003 bands, which isn't quite as bad as the yen's down by third and unheard of post-Plaza implementation but is probably pretty notable.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tankbuster posted:

whats going on with korean won?

Yeah, it just started dumping this week beyond what it had already lost over the last few years.

Strong dollar isn’t all that’s pushing won exchange rate into to 1,400 range

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

efb

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's in Gundam, you philistine

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

who was the dingdong who said even if the uighur genocide turned out to be fake later they'd still be right to believe in it now and the tankies would still be wrong even if they're right

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Stairmaster posted:

It's in Gundam, you philistine

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cho, who was the senior presidential secretary for civil affairs and justice minister during the previous Moon Jae-in administration, is widely described as one of the major antagonists in Yoon’s saga to the presidency.

He has been standing trial for years over allegations that he and his wife fabricated academic documents to get their daughter admitted to a medical school. Yoon, who was prosecutor-general at the time, butted heads with Moon in 2020 by insisting on investigating Cho. This propelled Yoon to become a political star among conservatives and eventually be elected president.

While Yoon clinched the power, the investigation continued and courts found Cho, his wife and daughter guilty. Cho lost his job as a professor at Seoul National University, his wife went to prison and the daughter lost her medical license.

“Under the Yoon administration, Cho’s family literally has lost everything, and this background styled him as a political champion who lost everything and is standing against the administration,” said Lee Jae-mook, a politics professor at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies.

“An interesting point is that many RKP supporters are sympathizing with Cho’s predicament, saying they feel guilty about what happened to him. And this tendency is noticeable among those in liberal strongholds who have experiences of suffering suppression by conservative governments.”

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mantis42 posted:

I've never been more disappointed in the Uyghur people than when they refused to be dead

lol at that cgtn interview where they tracked down the guy they said was dead.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Is the Korean Won drop caused by interest rate difference too? I tried to search it on twitter, all I got were Won-crypto nonsense.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Korean won will rebound in Q4; everyone is waiting for the next LG and Samsung gaming monitors.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

Is the Korean Won drop caused by interest rate difference too? I tried to search it on twitter, all I got were Won-crypto nonsense.

That was part of it during the initial slide in 2022.

Trilateral talks acknowledge ‘serious’ slumps of won, yen

quote:

Rhee said he believes the ongoing currency depreciation is different from that of late 2022. At the time, the won’s value against the dollar weakened to over 1,440 won with the US Fed maintaining a tight grip on its aggressive monetary tightening policy stance.

“It was not just the interest rate differential but the expectation that the US would continue to increase the rate that affected the exchange rate movement more,” Rhee said.

“This time, it will be a little bit different. The general understanding of the market is that it is about the delay of the US rate cut, rather than (the US) reversing (its stance) back to a rate hike.”

He further mentioned the Korean won had lost some of its value thanks to the depreciation of the Chinese yuan and Japanese yen, as the won works as a proxy for the two currencies.

The Korean benchmark Kospi, which had dipped to a two-month-low closing of 2,584.18 points on Wednesday, made its recovery the next day as it wrapped up at 2,634.7, up 50.52 points. It hit up to the day-high of 2,642.03 points during intraday trading.

Retail investors net sold 657 billion won, while foreigners and institutional investors each racked up 580 billion won and 69 billion won on the market.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

FT: US, Japan and South Korea seek to limit dollar’s rise

quote:

Major Asian currencies steadied against the US dollar on Thursday after finance ministers and central bankers voiced their concern with recent depreciation against a resurgent dollar.
The finance ministers of Japan, South Korea and the US said in a joint statement late on Wednesday that they would “continue to consult closely on foreign exchange market developments in line with our existing G20 commitments”.

The statement also acknowledged “serious concerns of Japan and the Republic of Korea about the recent sharp depreciation of the Japanese yen and the Korean won”.
Emerging-market currencies have been under pressure from a stronger dollar, fuelled by better than expected US economic data that analysts say could delay rate cuts from the Federal Reserve.
Asian currencies suffered a sharp sell-off on Tuesday, with the yen falling to ¥154 a dollar, its weakest level since 1990. Markets have been on high alert for the possibility of direct intervention by Japanese authorities, a measure Tokyo last took in 2022.

On Wednesday, Bank of Korea governor Rhee Chang-yong said the central bank would intervene to control currency volatility if needed. “The recent movement is a little bit excessive,” Rhee said during a televised interview. “We are ready to deploy stabilising measures if the volatility continues and we have enough tools and resources to do so.”

Japan’s top currency official, Masato Kanda, reiterated his country’s commitment to currency stability while speaking to reporters on the sidelines of the IMF and World Bank spring meetings in Washington on Wednesday.
The renminbi has weakened in recent days in line with other Asian currencies. The People’s Bank of China set a stronger renminbi reference rate on Thursday, fixing the trading midpoint at Rmb7.102 a dollar in an attempt to discourage sales of the renminbi against the dollar.

On its social media account, the PBoC on Thursday said it would “resolutely correct” what it called “procyclical behaviour”, understood to mean sales of the renminbi at a time when the economy was weak. The PBoC added that it would prevent the “formation of one-sided consensus and self-reinforcement” of views on the direction of the currency.

“The central bank is determined and unwavering in its stance to keep the relative stability of the yuan rate,” Zhu Hexin, head of the State Administration of Foreign Exchange and vice-governor of the PBoC, told reporters in Beijing on Thursday.

The latest statements increase the likelihood of “joint FX intervention between Japan and Korea should key levels be broken”, ING Economics said in a note.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

mass drivers are cool as hell, unconditional support for anyone who makes one, especially if its like the ace combat ones

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
American manufacturing is so hosed.

https://maritime-executive.com/article/us-to-investigate-china-s-shipbuilding-as-biden-calls-for-new-steel-tariffs

quote:

President Joe Biden and the U.S. Trade Representative confirmed today that they are initiating an investigation into China’s shipbuilding practices. News of the investigation comes as President Biden and the White House will tell steelworkers that they are also calling for a tripling of tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminum. He is also promising to block efforts by China and others to circumvent U.S. restrictions by importing products through Mexico.

The White House said the administration recognizes the growing concerns that unfair Chinese trade practices, including flooding the market with below-market-cost steel, are distorting the global shipbuilding market and eroding competition. While highlighting that the U.S. trade deficit with China is the lowest it has been in a decade, the administration is also accusing China of unfair competition saying China is undercutting U.S. products with artificially lower-priced alternatives. They cite the critical nature of steel in U.S. commercial and naval shipbuilding calling steel the backbone of the American economy.

The concerns over China subsidies and state control of the shipbuilding industry were outlined in a petition to the U.S. Trade Representative from five labor unions. Filed in March, the unions formally requested an investigation into Chinese acts, policies, and practices in the maritime, logistics, and shipbuilding sectors.

“The petition presents serious and concerning allegations of [China’s] longstanding efforts to dominate the maritime, logistics, and shipbuilding sectors, cataloging the PRC’s use of unfair, non-market policies and practices to achieve those goals,” said U.S. Trade Representative Ambassador Katherine Tai. The announcement marks the start of a process of comments and hearings into China’s shipbuilding programs and could see tariffs imposed on Chinese-built ships calling at U.S. ports.

Administration officials are saying that China accounts for more than half the world’s steel exports. They said the Chinese have created overcapacity with non-market investments in the steel and aluminum industries.

“The steel and aluminum industries face a significant challenge from Chinese exports which are among the most emissions-intensive products in the world,” the White House wrote in its briefing document. It accuses China of “distorting the global shipbuilding market and eroding competition.”

China’s commerce ministry responded immediately to the accusations saying the initiative was “full of false accusations, misinterpreting normal trade and investment activities.” They repeated the Chinese position that the U.S. administration is playing the “China card” for its political aspirations.

The White House cites over 30 anti-dumping and countervailing duties on steel-related products already imposed by the U.S. Department of Commerce. President Biden said he was not seeking a trade war, but said steps would be taken against countries and importers that flood the market with cheap products.

President Biden said they would also be working with Mexico to jointly prevent China and other countries from evasion of tariffs on steel and aluminum by importing products into the United States from Mexico.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
lmao wtf are they gonna investigate? this all just sounds hella whiny

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Stringent posted:

The announcement marks the start of a process of comments and hearings into China’s shipbuilding programs and could see tariffs imposed on Chinese-built ships calling at U.S. ports.

lmao China accounted for 50% of global shipbuilding last year and this year it's shaping up to be 60%

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

tractor fanatic posted:

lmao China accounted for 50% of global shipbuilding last year and this year it's shaping up to be 60%

let's go russia sanctions 2.0

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don‘t know whether this belong to the asia thread or a different thread, but the Biden trade/manufacturing policies are increasingly throwing poo poo at the wall and see what sticks.

A lot of these are just...."We will do A to cause C", yet there is no reason to believe A will cause C, either by common sense, or backed by any economic theory or historical precedents. Did a White House intern ever ask Joe "but how does doing A cause C?" It doesn't matter! We will do something about China! And this new bill mention "China" 32 times so it's very powerful attack!

The congress just blocked Japan Steel buying US Steel, how is this related to China? They just throw in a 3x tariff on Chinese steel to make this seem China related, even though the US barely buys Chinese steel. You don't want to increase the Chinese tariff too high though, because you want to leave some room to milk it one more time in a future legislature.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/kristinemuslim/status/1780941300524634407

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

https://x.com/starsandstripes/status/1780732978710118597