Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/escalonamar/status/1781308619801391442?t=2hyjMzLB1drg7iuQBNGfSQ&s=19

"a gift from the Philippines to the world: a peaceful means of radical change!"

___

I didn't think people would actually take up the mantle of 1986 being the first color revolution and then bragging that it was a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlKbg-1_7Bk

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Happy birthday anthony

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/escalonamar/status/1781308619801391442?t=2hyjMzLB1drg7iuQBNGfSQ&s=19

___

I didn't think people would actually take up the mantle of 1986 being the first color revolution and then bragging that it was a good thing.

You don't get it. "color revolution" is a coded term. It's like "DEI" being a euphemism for "minority I don't like". Sarcasmitron has a great video about it

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

___

is there a more cursed flag combo than EU, UA, TW, GLOBE EMOJI?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Regarde Aduck posted:

is there a more cursed flag combo than EU, UA, TW, GLOBE EMOJI?

Yes. Add Israel.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
good news everyone, another region is free from Russian imperial designs

Russia quietly exits Nagorno-Karabakh seven months after Azerbaijani offensive, ceding its clout 'for good'

quote:

The Kremlin this week quietly confirmed that its peacekeepers were withdrawing, taking with them their weapons and hardware, as well as Russian clout from a region it long considered its own backyard.

"We are witnessing a historic process — Russians are leaving for the first time in two centuries," independent Azerbaijani analyst Elhan Shahinoglu told AFP.

quote:

The Russian peacekeepers were meant to "project influence," said Gela Vasadze, senior fellow at the Georgian Strategic Analysis Centre.

But their withdrawal has clearly illustrated the limits of Russia's power, he told AFP.

"The myth that Russian boots never leave territories they had once stepped in is shattered."

Mr Shahinoglu said Putin had withdrawn from Karabakh to keep up friendly relations with Azerbaijan and Turkey at a time when the Kremlin is isolated over the Ukraine war.

But in doing so, Russia has lost its ability to "exploit" Armenian separatism in the Caucasus and leverage it for regional influence, he said.

"Russia has lost its historical footholds in the Caucasus for good."

That sentiment was echoed in Azerbaijan, where the announcement of the Russian drawdown was met with joy and relief.

"People say Russian troops don't ever voluntarily leave," said Ramil Iskenderov, a 37-year-old courier.

"Azerbaijan proved that with the right policy it's possible to achieve the impossible," he told AFP.

In Armenia, where Russia still maintains a military base, the peacekeepers' withdrawal was a final straw for some that meant Yerevan should sever military ties with Moscow.

"Russia has once again betrayed the Armenian people and sold us out. That's it," said Valery Harutyunyan, who lived in Karabakh before fleeing to Armenia in September.

"We can't rely on the Russians again. It's impossible. We should kick Russians out — not only from Karabakh — but also from Armenia," he told AFP.

yeah 100,000 people were ethnically cleansed, but Russians look like losers so who's to say if it is good or bad

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the only hope armenia has is if iran intervenes when azerbaijan attacks, but even then

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I remember everyone telling liberals decades ago they should not off shore all industry and that this would be the result. oh well

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

the only hope armenia has is if iran intervenes when azerbaijan attacks, but even then

Iran has a very large azeri minority population. I doubt they want to get entangled there

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

Iran has a very large azeri minority population. I doubt they want to get entangled there

ignoring the azeri minority, the iranian state would not allow an ally of israel to cut off its access point to the caucasus and allow a direct land connection with turkey, potentially another ukraine situation with nato

as far as i’m aware the azeris are well integrated and not necessarily friends of the authoritarian regime either

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a couple of weeks ago, Armenia just signed up for some bullshit with the USA and EU to get a tiny amount of money in exchange for allowing foreign companies to loot the public, supporting sanctions against Russia, etc. I'm happy for them to join the RuBIO

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mandel Brotset posted:

giant xi reminds me of that giant obama story from back in the day

Oh the one where all the Muslims disappeared? Take it to GBS.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

it was one of the all-time LF threads

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3059951

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1781511826511216708?t=R1seVneeKrEUIWMmus6SSg&s=19

This sucks. Might as well invite the Spaniards back in while we're at it

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1781511826511216708?t=R1seVneeKrEUIWMmus6SSg&s=19

This sucks. Might as well invite the Spaniards back in while we're at it

do Japanese tourists suck particularly? it's been a long time since I've seen any in person in the US

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Spergin Morlock posted:

do Japanese tourists suck particularly? it's been a long time since I've seen any in person in the US

The Reciprocal Access Agreement is about letting troops base themselves in-country.

But to address your question I have nothing against Japanese tourists.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Reciprocal Access Agreement is about letting troops base themselves in-country.

ohhh I'm dumb

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

apparently australia had the first non-US RAA with japan in 2023.

welcome to JAUPHUS

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

lol i never knew SMG was the one who wrote that
the true GOAT of the forums

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

tractor fanatic posted:

The US has never had a big commercial shipbuilding industry, the military shipbuilding problem is the same grift issue that's infecting the rest of the MIC

Yeah but it had some. Probably useful for maintaining a skilled workforce. Also if one finds oneself in a war and needs to do something like build liberty ships.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

They came for us in the dead of night. They did not say why, but they didn't need to. We knew why. It was the tokens. We knew we'd screwed up. We knew we'd done something wrong, but drat it, wasn't the shame, the humiliation, the knowledge that we had been used enough for that bastard? Where did Obama get off judging us?

On his second day in office, President Obama announced what he called a grand social experiment. Every citizen of the United States was given a red silicone token embossed with the word "redeemable." Obama told hold onto are tokens for a week. He said "don't sell it" and they said "don't buy it." They said nothing about stealing. Now I know why.

They did not say what the prizes were, but somehow we knew they were something grand. Something worth coveting. Something worth hoarding. Something worth taking. And we did all of those things and more all for the sake of a token. Yet despite our certainty of the power and importance of The Token, it never occurred to us that it might be more than just red plastic.

They were tracking us. I still don't how, but it does not matter. They caught us -- the takers, the swindlers, the Token Thieves -- and they took us in the night.

They told us we were what was wrong with America. We were the ones who had kept the people down and the powerful up. We thought of ourselves as capitalists, but they knew us to be thieves.

They let us go after a time, but we have been marked. The mark that has become a symbol of our shame, but also our salvation. A reminder of who and what we are, for the red stamp on our national ID bears no chastisement, no punishment for our crime, it simply says "redeemable."

Weka
May 5, 2019

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Russia quietly exits Nagorno-Karabakh seven months after Azerbaijani offensive, ceding its clout 'for good'

quote:

Armenian separatism

Separatism from what exactly? The USSR?

Spergin Morlock posted:

They do, they have said it publicly. They don't want NATO to have access to the Caspian, which is a reason Russia might get involved now it is less pressed in Ukraine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
China is coming for ships

https://twitter.com/AFLCIO/status/1780725660396261887?t=9UYHcaWBKDti6ZLTsRpBpA&s=19

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

America: scared, shipless

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mantis42 posted:

America: scared, shipless

America: also works for the welfare of manufacturing unions

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AFL-CIA

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Carve the five heads into the surface, Xi

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

China feared to be secretly militarizing space, says only nation to have a space branch of military

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Should have said secret communist moon base to get more funding.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Should have said secret communist moon base to get more funding.

I'm hearing rumors that they are working with Hugo Drax. Based. :haibrow:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SixthTone/status/1781805210328805635?t=Xc4T3ujrexEAc8bvc8wo5Q&s=19

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

China goes woke
?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I had no clue they even had them here

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Do they not have Hooters in China?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
when you block enough western propaganda on twitter you start seeing chinese propaganda and a lot of it is just videos of sexualized dancing and shows from taiwan and people saying it's gross and westerners have no respect for the basic dignity of women

I dunno how chinese culture wars shake out on this one but i didn't even know they had maid cafes in china

Iriscoral
Apr 9, 2023

为人民服务
I mean, this is what happens when China is practically the biggest overseas market for anime, and as a result the '2d world' is so deeply embedded into the youth cultural zeigeist. The teem ACGN (Anime, Comics, Game, Novel) culture didn't come out of nowhere, because in the greater Sinosphere anime and weeb culture practically exists at room temperature. All the popular games (gacha like Genshin and Arknights) as well as 90% of the Mainland indie games on Steam are all anime coded, Bilibili is named after a very niche weeb thing (A Certain Scientific Railgun/Magical Index, which most of you probably haven't heard of), the only Gundam statue not in Japan is in Shanghai, and there's even a Karl Marx anime from China itself.

That said, may the Party continue sorting the cringe weeb behavior from the based weeb behavior, thank you President Xi

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doesn't China also have a huge probably unauthorised Optimus Prime statue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
railgun is the pinnacle of animated media, it only makes sense to name your youtube clone bilibili

e: unfortunately the karl marx anime wasn't very good, hopefully they make a good one next

Truga has issued a correction as of 15:44 on Apr 21, 2024