Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

MinutePirateBug posted:

Mexico is too far from god and too close to the US for them to be neutral, they've already canceled subsides and cheap land for BYD factories in Mexico at the behest of the US.

Mexico was China's top auto export country in 2022!

Russia surpassed Mexico in 2023, alot of these top 10 countries mainly buy gas powered cars from China. I can't figure out the reason behind lot of these countries either. Like Russia you understand, but Mexico doesn't have that large of a population. And these are not auto-parts which you figure they can go through Mexico to enter the US. But these are whole cars.

Also Chile has been really high for last 10 years, they have 10x less population than Mexico! That has to be a import loophole to enter South America markets. Belgium? Probably to get into EU. Philippines and Saudi? Pretty big countries in their regions, okay I can see it.

EV are making all the headlines but majority of the Chinese auto exports are gas powered cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

Mexico doesn't have that large of a population.

There are 130 million people in Mexico dude

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
pathetic! not even top 10!!

even if they didn't want those cars, could they be an intermediary into the US market like Vietnam is?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

slave to my cravings posted:

I guess I wonder if china would prefer trump at this point lol

They would love Trump->Biden->Trump->Biden

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Trump -> Biden -> Trump -> Pelosi -> Trump -> Obama

:wtf: Bernie is 82

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/okaygreatfine/status/1783853901675942277

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

I didn't realise that Xi Jinping was turn 71 this year. He looks younger than that.

they dont call it the immortal science for nothing

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/why-byds-ev-exports-sell-twice-china-price-2024-04-26/

quote:

LONDON, April 26 (Reuters) - U.S. and European politicians have raised alarms that their domestic auto industries could be destroyed by a wave of cheap Chinese electric vehicles. But so far, China's top EV maker, BYD, has dramatically hiked export prices compared to what it charges at home rather than undercut foreign rivals.
The goal: to rake in hefty profit margins the automaker can’t get in China amid fierce competition.

it’s not even dumping

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
it would be dreadful if people in the west got a single break such as access to affordable cars. Absolutely dreadful.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
BYD charges like 3x in Europe what they do in China lol. You'd be better off if they added tariffs and in response BYD just dropped their prices to China level

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

tractor fanatic posted:

BYD charges like 3x in Europe what they do in China lol. You'd be better off if they added tariffs and in response BYD just dropped their prices to China level

this would cause a nuclear war

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's still extremely funny to see westoids breathlessly demanding to see the manager because china is kicking their rear end at their own game

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Kinda countered your own statement bud.

https://x.com/andreas_krieg/status/1783427241541525777

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Lol. Yeah let's take a look at the legacy of American diplomacy, friend. I'm sure it's a ripe field of lasting peace.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
lol https://english.news.cn/20240427/fe611ba1b21d42bea2acdc06dddee6a4/c.html

quote:

China calls for UN-led int'l probe of Nord Stream blasts

UNITED NATIONS, April 26 (Xinhua) -- A Chinese envoy on Friday called for a UN-led international investigation of the September 2022 Nord Stream pipeline explosions.

It has been more than 18 months since the Nord Stream incident. It is simply regretful that no conclusion has been drawn, said Geng Shuang, China's deputy permanent representative to the United Nations.

China notes that Sweden and Denmark, two major parties to the incident, announced in February 2024 the termination of their country-specific investigations. The two countries' investigations did not disclose substantive information, did not reveal concrete progress, and did not draw clear conclusions, sparking even more speculations and misgivings in the international community, he told the Security Council.

The Nord Stream pipeline explosions were a serious incident that sabotaged transnational energy infrastructure. Since the explosions, the Security Council has considered the issue on many occasions, and many council members, including China, have been calling for an objective, impartial, and professional investigation to find out the truth as soon as possible and to bring the perpetrators to justice in order to prevent the reoccurrence of similar incidents. he said.

In the wake of the incident, members of the council debated whether to conduct international or country-specific investigations. At that time, certain members strongly advocated that Sweden, Denmark, and Germany be given the trust and the time to conduct their own country-specific investigations. However, after more than a year of investigations, no truth has been established, with only scant information offered, he noted.

"With the situation standing where it is, one cannot help but suspect a hidden agenda behind the opposition to an international investigation, while lamenting the potential cover-up and loss of quantities of compelling evidence," said Geng. "We reiterate our call for the early launch of a UN-led international investigation to bring the truth to light for the international community."

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

China interfering with middle east peace process by Dr. Andy War.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress yeah.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

here is the US comment:
Remarks at a UN Security Council Briefing on Nord Stream Pipeline Attacks Called by Russia

usun.usmission.gov - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 posted:

John Kelley

Political Minister Counselor

New York, New York

April 26, 2024

AS DELIVERED

Thank you, Mr. President. I’d also like to thank the Assistant Secretary-General and the Chief of the Office of the Under-Secretary-General for the UNOCT for their briefings today.

Mr. President. Let me begin by once again condemning the acts of sabotage against the Nord Stream pipelines and underscoring the need for accountability.

But let us all be clear. This meeting, like the last one, and the one before that, are not about accountability. Russia has repeatedly called meetings on this topic to spread disinformation, cast aspersions, and discredit ongoing national investigations.

It is hard to keep up with Russia’s latest accusations, but one thing remains the same: a victimization narrative.

We welcome the reporting to this Council from Sweden and Denmark on the conclusions of their respective national investigations, and note Germany’s ongoing investigation. As we have said many times before, these competent national investigations should be allowed to complete their work and to do so without external interference.

We maintain confidence in the independence and rigor of Germany’s investigation, and strongly object to attempts to get ahead of or prejudice those efforts.

Russia’s claims of noble intentions, the pursuit of justice, and need to protect critical infrastructure are as hollow as they are disingenuous. In the same breath, Russia feigns concern over the sabotage of critical infrastructure it values, while wreaking havoc against Ukraine’s cities and targeting Ukraine’s critical infrastructure.

And while Russia feigns interest in fact-finding missions and independent investigations, it routinely denies OHCHR investigators access to Ukrainian territory temporarily occupied by Russia.

Russia claims to want the truth, accountability, and facts, and then vetoes the mandate renewal of an independent UN investigative mechanism like the DPRK 1718 Committee Panel of Experts. The hypocrisy is as galling as it is predictable.

With that I thank you, Mr. President.

###

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
these damned inscrutable Danes

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

very desperately trying to forget they didn't get outnumbered in korea

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Once every couple of months, I get a deluge of videos like this on my feed. Also advertisements for Trump endorsed candidates in Florida and stuff like that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

isn’t blinken in China like rn ?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

"The Japanese cannot pilot planes, they are too short and nearsighted."

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

wow, even China gets annoyed at mlmp's posts!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

unlike the US and UK which also lack credibility and legitimacy, but do have a legacy of interference in that area of the world. good point dr

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
China's young feeling the squeeze of cost of living are finding homes in older cities

quote:

When Ding Xuan spotted an opportunity to snap up a two-bedroom flat for less than her previous year's rent, she bought it over the phone as quickly as possible.

But the moment she hung up, she couldn't remember where exactly it was.

"It only came to me later that I should go and have a look at the place before actually moving there," she said of her new home in Linghai, in China's north.

Before the move 440 kilometres north-east from her rental in Beijing, Ms Ding had been paying $9,000 a year for a room in a shared flat.

Ms Ding is a social media producer, and like many in China, her employer hasn't been doing well since COVID.

When her hours were reduced, she decided to move to somewhere cheaper.

She found the right place online.

"It was less than 30,000 yuan ($6,400) for an apartment — cheaper than renting for one year in Beijing," she told the ABC.

quote:

Linghai is an old industrial city that's aging rapidly and has a population of about 550,000.

But, it is only about three hours to Beijing on one of China's high-speed trains.

There are a few other former industrial cities that have what might seem to be surreal property prices.

Fuxin, Hegang, Gejiu and Qianjiang, are all options for young people who want to break free from the pressure and high cost of living in China's megacities.

A one-bedroom apartment in Hegang can cost as little as $3,000, according to local reports.

quote:

Dr Su said it was a form of nonviolent rebellion.

She suggested young people were trying to find their way out of social issues like "the slow-down of the economy, the shrinking job market, the never-ending sky-rocketing housing prices and the middle-income trap".

On a deeper level, Dr Su believes social inequality and rigid hierarchies have also added to young people's sense of unfairness and insecurity.

Chinese cost of living crisis: you have to buy a $3000 apartment in a small city
Western cost of living crisis: lol, lmao

quote:

Independent documentary director Xiaoyue Qin has filmed the lives of young migrants who live in Hegang.

The northern industrial city was long predicted to be at risk of becoming a ghost city.

It's long been neglected and its population has shrunken quickly.

In recent years, it has welcomed a surge of young residents who came for the super cheap property prices and slower lifestyle.

China is finished

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

NGL, I like this Advanced War aesthetic.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Mandel Brotset posted:

Blinken tells CNN the US has seen evidence of China attempting to influence upcoming US elections

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/26/politics/blinken-china-interview-intl-hnk/index.html

why do they even bother meeting with this guy. what is to be gained lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

mila kunis posted:

I bet behind closed doors they tell him to shut the gently caress up about any of the topics he intended to raise and just make him watch the 'ha ha ha america' video on loop until he leaves

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mila kunis posted:

there's a lot of people in china so i wonder if he's even meeting the higher level guys

https://twitter.com/FROMOTHERSIDEBY/status/1783405789018763710

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

crepeface posted:

there's a lot of people in china so i wonder if he's even meeting the higher level guys

https://twitter.com/FROMOTHERSIDEBY/status/1783405789018763710

Do you think meeting Blinken is a punishment for whatever offical that has to do it?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

KomradeX posted:

Do you think meeting Blinken is a punishment for whatever offical that has to do it?

I bet a bunch of the lower ranked guys are competing to see who can get him to say the dumbest thing.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

that went really well against the vietcong with two bowls of rice a day

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

China's young feeling the squeeze of cost of living are finding homes in older cities

Chinese cost of living crisis: you have to buy a $3000 apartment in a small city
Western cost of living crisis: lol, lmao

China is finished

??? 3000 dollars a month is insane

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Kaedric posted:

??? 3000 dollars a month is insane

3k per year

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
$9,000 a year of rent for a room in a shared flat in Beijing

vs

$6,400 purchase price for an apartment in a smaller city

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

no you’re misreading. they’re saying you can purchase an apartment straight up in hegang for $3,000. as in, you pay $3,000 once and you own it forever

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
well that’s not right because that’s not how land “ownership” works in China

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well that’s not right because that’s not how land “ownership” works in China

that’s true. but you will be able to live there basically as long as you want without paying rent or a mortgage