Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

celebrating the fall of saigon in 1/35 scale

album with the rest of my photos here:
https://imgur.com/a/apUpqZE

e: album of some the reference photos i used, they're also pretty cool
https://imgur.com/a/wW0lgWq

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Mantis42 posted:

the indian century!

https://x.com/moghilemear13/status/1784306896729416076

(whole thread worth reading)
could you or someone else unroll it? I dont use twitter anymore

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SardonicTyrant posted:

it's mainly just this article https://time.com/6969626/india-modi-economy-election/

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

SardonicTyrant posted:

I tried to "unroll" on the threadreaderapp.com, it turns out they are motherfucking paid app now. Not even optional, you can't use it for free.

Here is the only way I know how (still a nightmare to read, twitter is a nightmare)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fujian carrier livestream (it's over now)

https://live.bilibili.com/21686237?live_from=84001

some images from yesterday

bonus image

Anime Schoolgirl has issued a correction as of 05:17 on May 1, 2024

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just looking at the bow I can tell its not going to look like a rusted piece of poo poo in 8 years

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Just looking at the bow I can tell its not going to look like a rusted piece of poo poo in 8 years
the funny thing about the western media making the failures of US Navy ships very public and very detailed for the sole purpose of convincing the US to feed the MIC more money is that it also serves as a growing citable list of "what not to do" when building/maintaining ships for any entity the US will be attacking.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Are cute mascots for everything a Chinese thing too?

I like it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Are cute mascots for everything a Chinese thing too?

I like it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Josef bugman posted:

Also does anyone have any recommendations for books about Zhou Enlai? I'd really enjoy finding out more about him and his relationship with Deng and Mao.

don't have a book, but People's History of Ideas podcast has just released a few episodes about Mao's (Front Committee) letter refusing orders to re-organise the army and return to Shanghai as directed by Zhou (Central Committee).

https://x.com/pplshistory/status/1775712902453878992

https://x.com/pplshistory/status/1785478867223744827

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I was more wanting to have a read of something, I have difficulty retaining info from podcasts. Thank you for the recommendation, it's very much appreciated!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
yeah, it's definitely not a comprehensive overview, just an interesting snippet.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

crepeface posted:

yeah, it's definitely not a comprehensive overview, just an interesting snippet.

That's fair, and still something to look into. I would just appreciate a way into seeing the birth of modern China without it being quite so ideologically "THE RED MENACE"

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Korean Conservatives find one easy trick to writing off war time massacres.
Simply have the cops and soliders that killed innocent children write in their reports 19 years later that they were all 19-20 years old and also "assassins".

Under conservative chief, Korea’s TRC brands teenage wartime massacre victims as traitors

quote:

These so-called assassins were only 13 and 14 years old.

The Hankyoreh has confirmed that many of those executed in civilian massacres in the Jindo area during the Korean War, whose recognition as victims of state violence was postponed by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission due to being classified as “collaborators with enemy forces” — that is, North Korea — were actually preteens and young teens.

Since Kim Kwang-dong took over as chairperson in December 2022, the commission, which was established to shed light on state violence including mass civilian deaths during the Korean War and to foster national unity, has taken a firm stance that collaborators will not be recognized as victims of massacres. This position has led the commission to focus intensively on exposing the deceased’s supposedly unsavory affiliations, sparking criticism for its efforts to justify the wartime summary executions of even minors who had been labeled as members of death squads.

Through meetings with the families of the victims on April 17-18 in the rural village of Mangil in the province’s Jindo County, the Hankyoreh confirmed that three of the four individuals discussed at the 74th full meeting of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission on March 12 were teenagers. These four were victims of the so-called "Jindo Incident," a civilian massacre perpetrated by police and military forces in Jindo.

The commission initially proposed that these individuals could not be recognized as victims, but the decision was postponed due to opposition from commissioners nominated by the opposition party.

The decision to postpone the verification of these four victims was heavily influenced by “anti-communist” surveillance records from 1969 compiled by the Jindo Police Station.

A number of kids who were under the age of 15 were labeled as “assassins” for far-left factions during the war. Authorities falsified their ages to be around 19 to 20.

The Hankyoreh’s investigations revealed that among these four persons, Heo Hun-ok was only 14 when he was killed in 1950. He was in his first year at middle school. His younger brother Gyeong-ok, 87, met with the Hankyoreh at a cafe in Jangseong County, South Jeolla Province, on April 18.

“My brother was in his first year at Jindo Middle School. I was in my sixth year at Uisin Elementary School. We were only one year apart, so we were like best friends,” he said.

According to birth records, Heo was born in 1936.

In 1969, Jindo Police Station filed Heo’s death as the result of an anti-communist campaign, writing that the 14-year-old was an “assassin.” That is, Heo was executed for supposedly collaborating with North Korean forces. The police incorrectly registered Heo’s age as 19.

Kim Dae-hwan and Heo Jang-o are two more teens whose victimhood is being debated because of records stating that they were assassins. The boys were 13 and 17 years old, respectively. The police recorded both of their ages as 20 years old. Kim had been pulled out of school, and worked with his father and brother fishing. Heo Jang-o was in middle school.

“These police documents were filed during a time when the guilt-by-association system was in place. Family activities were often recorded as justifications for surveillance, but there’s a high chance that these records were falsified. To view these records as historical fact [without additional proof] goes against common sense,” said Kim Ik-han, a professor emeritus at Myongji University who specializes in the study of historical records.

Some within the truth-seeking commission have said the framing of victims as traitors amounts to secondary victimization.

I also had to endure a relatives wedding at Seoul National University this weekend and was looking at the wikipedia page and found an odd little blurb I hadn't seen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seoul_National_University_Hospital_Massacre

The article is sparse on details, which is odd. It's also the exact same day the South's army was busy blowing up their own bridge, of which the university is on the south side of.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangang_Bridge_bombing

You really can't believe a single factoid of this conflict that comes from the south.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The right wings are just kicking the can down the road, it's not going to heal the wound of the civil war.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lol this article credits him with the new indian hsr which was in planning for years but was actually built during modis term -_-

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So CNTV is doing high profile promotion of the new carrier doing the sea trail, they didn't do it with the last carrier and unusual don't do it for other naval ships. Also we just got some new footage of Chinese coast guard shooting water canon to the Philippines ships. I think we are going to see some more stronger moves from both the military and non military toward to end of the month, peak around the May 20th Taiwanese presidential inauguration. The US wants to put up a show to give Taiwan "moral support" so they are going to make Philippines civilian ships more some news around the two reefs. There has been no news around the Kimmen fisherman incident so keep an eye on it. I don't know if other US "allies" like Australia will make some SCS news per US request.

However, the overall Sino-US great power competition this year IMO will keep to lower intensity contest, simmering below a certain ceiling, because both sides want to delay the contest to a later round. I think Beijing's emphasis this year will continue on the economy and diplomacy. Putin's first state visit after his election will be in China in late May and Xi will also visit a bunch of European countries later, France/Serbia /Hungary. There is no guarantee that EU will slam the door on Chinese EV exports, I think there are still alot of opportunities for both side to make money in this business together.

The US making noise threatening to sanction some Chinese banks for doing business with Russia and Iran is IMO a stupid angle, it's not going to benefit the West in any way if the congress push the sanctions forward. But maybe the US chose the angle because they don't want to actually seize Russia's foreign reserve? Beijing will counter sanction if this happens but still it won't affect everyday life that much. China and US still can't restore passenger flights traffic back to pre-covid level and the plane tickets are still twice as expensive as the fare pre-covid.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the fujian is an completely indigenous design so they might just be showing it off for that reason

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Happy AAPI month~

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

KirbyKhan posted:

Happy AAPI month~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzRD0vZ_yvg

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lol this article credits him with the new indian hsr which was in planning for years but was actually built during modis term -_-

Its about as smart as the average uncle.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

I tried to "unroll" on the threadreaderapp.com, it turns out they are motherfucking paid app now. Not even optional, you can't use it for free.

Here is the only way I know how (still a nightmare to read, twitter is a nightmare)

"rice-cel" :wtc:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the fujian is an completely indigenous design so they might just be showing it off for that reason

inquiring minds want to know. are the catapults steam or electric?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/30/economy/china-labor-day-economic-slump-reactions-intl-hnk/index.html

Chinese workers get 5 days vacation for May Day, but at what cost?

quote:

Labor Day isn’t the holiday it once was for China’s workers

Hong Kong
CNN

Like hundreds of millions of workers in China, Hao Zeyu, an algorithm engineer at an electric vehicle maker, is getting five days off this week for the Labor Day holiday. But he’s in no mood to party.

In order to take the vacation, Hao is required to work an extra day on each weekend immediately before and after the break.

To add insult to injury, two of the official vacation days fall on Saturday and Sunday. That means just one of those five days counts as a genuine holiday.

The practice of moving workdays to weekends to create a longer vacation during major Chinese holidays is known as “tiaoxiu” or adjusted rest. Introduced in 1999 to stimulate consumer spending following the Asian financial crisis, it has been the subject of much online anger in the weeks leading up to this year’s May 1 holiday.

“I really don’t like it,” Hao told CNN. “I think this policy was meant to promote consumption at a certain stage of the country’s development, but I very much do not support it anymore,” he added.

[...]

With the policy, China is able to designate more than 25 days as official holidays. Without the maneuvering though, workers get 11 days, which is still in line with many other countries. The United States, for instance, offers 11 federal holidays while the United Kingdom has eight days.

But the problem for Chinese workers is that their statutory paid time off (PTO), or annual leave, is just five days a year, which is much less than many other countries.

When times were good, Chinese companies were more generous in granting those PTO days. But it’s a different story during an economic slowdown.

[...]

To make things worse, the “orchestrated” vacations often result in a scramble for hard-to-get train tickets, inflated hotel deals and chaos at popular tourist spots, Hao told CNN.

[...]

A minority of companies are doing things their own way. Yaer Tuerdi, 26, works in the marketing division of Kentucky Fried Chicken, which is run by fast food giant Yum China (YUMC).

Yum China doesn’t require workers to come in during the two designated “special working days.”

“I like it,” said Tuerdi. “You can arrange your break freely … If you want to travel, you can take annual leave to make up for the gap. If you don’t want to travel, you can still have two days of rest on the weekend.”

A movement among independent businesses is pushing back on the obsession of excessively long work hours. Among the more prominent proponents is Pang Dong Lai, a supermarket chain known for its customer service based in the central province of Henan.

In March, its founder and chairman Yu Donglai announced he was offering 10 days a year of “sadness leave” for employees who did not feel up to working, state media People’s Daily reported.

“Everyone feels down inevitably every now and then and if they can have this sadness leave, they may feel good again,” it quoted him as saying. Managers, Yu added, cannot reject such leave applications.

He has been one of the rare advocates of work-life balance in a culture that prizes “eating bitterness,” or enduring hardship to succeed, and often speaks at business forums to preach his beliefs.

:ussr:

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 19:16 on May 1, 2024

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

Happy AAPI month~

Didn't Biden rename it to Jewish American month a few days ago?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

caelxii posted:

Didn't Biden rename it to Jewish American month a few days ago?
yes

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sigh...

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I tried to find that post of the guy on an anime forum excited to announce he's actually Asian after reading about the Khazars for the first time, but it's nowhere to be found :(

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

crepeface posted:

don't have a book, but People's History of Ideas podcast has just released a few episodes about Mao's (Front Committee) letter refusing orders to re-organise the army and return to Shanghai as directed by Zhou (Central Committee).

https://x.com/pplshistory/status/1775712902453878992

https://x.com/pplshistory/status/1785478867223744827

what a powerful rec

and also incredibly powerful "name a more iconic duo/greatest album covers" vibes going on here

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Spergin Morlock posted:

inquiring minds want to know. are the catapults steam or electric?

electric, but the Chinese have way more experience with electric powered equipment than the US.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

they should compensate for those holidays tbh.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Tankbuster posted:

they should compensate for those holidays tbh.

yeah agreed. I just found it amusing that considering the source it comes across as concern trolling more than anything else

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

corona familiar posted:

yeah agreed. I just found it amusing that considering the source it comes across as concern trolling more than anything else

It'd be cool if the unleashing of productive forces meant more holidays for the workers.

Also showed my fiancee the picture of Mao and Zhou and she responded "twink" and "would" respectively.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

labor day used to be just 1 day off in china until like 5 years ago, well after this weekend policy took effect

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, it was a one day holiday, they are just predictably misleading the reader.

Btw, I think the Russians actually have 14 public holidays plus a month of vacation, not really that bad.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://govt.chinadaily.com.cn/s/201903/22/WS5c948f50498e079e6801bc14/2019-labor-day-holiday-extended.html

quote:

2019 Labor Day holiday extended
Updated: Mar 22, 2019 english.gov.cn
Print

The Labor Day holiday in 2019 has been extended to four days, from May 1 to 4, according to a statement from the State Council released on March 22.

But April 28 and May 5, two Sundays, will be workdays.

All regions and departments should prepare for the holiday adjustment, and effective measures should be in place to ensure transportation capacity, enhance tourist services, and increase product supply.

During the Labor Day holiday, work should be properly arranged and security must not be overlooked. If any major emergency arises, it should be reported in a timely manner and be appropriately dealt with to safeguard a peaceful festival for the public.

prior to 2019 it was just 1 day off

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
There must be incredible outbreaks of illness on those extra weekend days.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There must be incredible outbreaks of illness on those extra weekend days.

yah a lot of people in my company just dont show up. i actually straight up forgot about one of them and nobody said anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Do former Warsaw-turn-NATO countries still celebrate May day? All these May day talk reminded me of International Children's Day.

If wiki info is up to date, June 1st is still being celebrated on all former Eastern bloc allied countries.

wiki posted:

Children's Day is celebrated on 1 June in former Soviet Union states (including Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan) as well as other former or current communist states (Albania, Angola, Benin, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Ethiopia, East Germany, Kosovo, Laos, Mongolia, Montenegro, Mozambique, Mainland China, North Macedonia, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Tanzania, Vietnam and Yemen, and to the lesser extent in Israel due to the migration of its Soviet Jewish population).

Only exception is that Servia doesn't celebrate on June 1st and Portugal and its former colonies do celebrate on June 1st.