Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

GlassEye-Boy posted:

You forget the young mao statue with flowing locks.

how heavy is that mole on his chin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

I do hope there is a way to cool the seas down.

Go to the beach with a fan and point it at the sea

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
they said cool not heat

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer
2 fans???

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
no 1 fan is fine, but you also need an ac unit because air is hotter otherwise

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer
drat this seems hard, call the whole thing off

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Go to the beach with a fan and point it at the sea

You got to use the right tools OP

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
What you actually need are big radiators. Just throw big metal blades into the ocean.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Josef bugman posted:

I do hope there is a way to cool the seas down.

Everyone in China holds up a mirror to the sun

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Everyone in China holds up a mirror to the sun

We will see this (mutatis mutandis) in our lifetimes.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

:discourse:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I enjoyed reading Zhou Enlai: The Last Perfect Revolutionary, but that was years ago when I was still a liberal, so expect some parts you have to get over as well. It does portray him very sympathetically at a personal level regardless of the political bent.

Zhou Enlai is one of the greatest communists to ever live by, among other things, committing one of the greatest feats of praxis when he resigned control of the CPC and thus of the revolutionary forces after being defeated by the KMT. He promptly called for an assembly, provided his critique and resigned leadership, putting his vote for Mao. Mao got voted in, they did a party critique and together they came up with the Long March.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I Went To China And Drove A Dozen Electric Cars. Western Automakers Are Cooked

https://insideevs.com/features/719015/china-is-ahead-of-west/ posted:

trip to the Beijing Auto Show reveals just how advanced China's EVs are. So what are the so-called "foreign" automakers doing about it?
China Article Feature Topshot Art
May 9, 2024 at 1:16pm ET
Kevin Williams
By: Kevin Williams

In just the past few months, the rift between the U.S. and China has expanded at an astounding rate. TikTok is set to be banned if it does not divest from its U.S operations. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said that “nothing is off the table” when it comes to battling a surge of cheap Chinese clean energy exports. The Commerce Department is cracking down on chips sent to Huawei.

And yet plenty of critics still insist China's advancements in its manufacturing abilities—especially in developing and selling electrified vehicles—somehow aren't legitimate. Or that they're just the byproducts of a government with too much cash that wants to elbow its way into the rest of the world.
Get Fully Charged

China's EV dominance takes shape

In 2023, the Shanghai Auto Show—China's first big industry event since the COVID lockdowns—revealed how far ahead the country is on EVs, software and connected vehicles. Now every automaker is scrambling to catch up while they lose sales in China, and while the U.S., Europe and others seek to limit Chinese EV imports they say would destroy their local car industries.

I’ve personally been privy to conversations with auto industry insiders, engineers and pundits alike. Many of them believe China’s industries are not sustainable, and the cars it wants to foist on the public are cut-rate spyware machines designed to murder American citizens whenever the Chinese Communist Party flips the kill switch.

To these critics, if China had a truly open market, Chinese buyers would continue to purchase Western cars en masse, and sales of their models wouldn’t be falling off so dramatically.

It would be naive to assume that China doesn’t have its finger on the scale for EV production. But believing that the success of China's electrified vehicle industry is all the sole result of a brutish government forcing its citizens to buy its domestic products rings false in an almost childlike, sour-grapes way.

Still inferior at the pickup trucks that require a ladder to board game, though.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Zhou Enlai is one of the greatest communists to ever live by, among other things, committing one of the greatest feats of praxis when he resigned control of the CPC and thus of the revolutionary forces after being defeated by the KMT. He promptly called for an assembly, provided his critique and resigned leadership, putting his vote for Mao. Mao got voted in, they did a party critique and together they came up with the Long March.

Takes a real one to know when it's time to take a step back.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

I’ve personally been privy to conversations with auto industry insiders, engineers and pundits alike. Many of them believe China’s industries are not sustainable, and the cars it wants to foist on the public are cut-rate spyware machines designed to murder American citizens whenever the Chinese Communist Party flips the kill switch.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

president xi, press the 'maximum overdrive' button

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer
Love how great the free market is until suddenly it isn't and we consumers must be protected from the evil foreign cars who are too well made and priced

Imagine how much our way of life would be disrupted if, during a cost of living crisis, people could get cheap cars

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What happened to the mutual benefits of free trade.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
A lot of these emerging Chinese dominated markets have pretty similar market share split when you think about it

Phones:
Chine 60% under different brands, S Korea 20% (Samsung), US 20% (Apple)

Ship building
China 60%, SK: 30%, other 10%

Appliance, I can only find kitchen appliance
China 55%, Germany/Italy/rest 35%

Telecom equipments
China 40% (Huawei+ZTE) Ericsson/Nokia 35% rest 25%

The telecom market is an extreme case being actively blocked by the US, so without any interference by the US, the Chinese export share would have been closed to 60%.

In the auto market, China is late comer and it's the most protected market all over the world, so China only surpass Japan last year.

But if you only look at the EV cars, I bet China's share take up more than 60% already.

Oh yeah, Raimondo promised she will "Huawei" Chinese EVs, too bad the rest of the world will vote with their own wallets.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 17:51 on May 10, 2024

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
https://x.com/TheStalwart/status/1788948564497838174

lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mandel Brotset posted:

projection lol

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The US is just going to create an environment where it and the vassal states just erect massive protectionist policies to keep china non competitive in their gardens but the global south ends up reaping the benefits from it. So you'll have a two tiered system, the west continues to overpay for its hardware/tools/etc, which makes everything more expensive/ less competitive and the global south is allowed to expand faster for less because of china's efficient industrialization. This makes countries less likely to fall for western predation and just further weakens them, which causes them to be even less competitive.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

ikanreed posted:

Still inferior at the pickup trucks that require a ladder to board game, though.

A section of this article is aptly titled "All We Do Is Complain While China Advances."

A lot of cope in the comments section.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ikanreed posted:

a tiktok divest bill but for chinese cars

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I mean it kind of proves Lenin right about how the Capitalists will just keep giving you rope.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

OhFunny posted:

A section of this article is aptly titled "All We Do Is Complain While China Advances."

A lot of cope in the comments section.

We know how the China story ends, and the cracks are starting to show within both their economy and society. Communism never has a happy ending, and the propaganda machine is often the strongest asset. Its no secret that China has built their tech powerhouse through less than ethical means, primarily engaging in espionage against western companies while the Chinese government turns a blind eye at best and actively supports IP theft at worst. All this aside, European and US regulators see China for what it truly is and will ensure their domestic industries (auto is just one) are protected, more so now than ever because we we're recently taught a valuable lesson about how dangerous reliance on China can be. Its a classic lesson in just because its the cheapest doesn't mean its the best.

lol

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

I mean it kind of proves Lenin right about how the Capitalists will just keep giving you rope.

from rope to cope

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Josef bugman posted:

yes but it has a label on it reminding you that it is a violation of federal statutes to use it to hang capitalists

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Mandel Brotset posted:

yes but it has a label on it reminding you that it is a violation of federal statutes to use it to hang capitalists

*BREAKING: BIDEN TO QUADRUPLE TARIFFS ON GALLOWS: WSJ

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Spergin Morlock posted:

projection lol

its really funny to see americans heckle chinese production when they cant even keep planes in the sky

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

its really funny to see americans heckle chinese production when they cant even keep planes in the sky

they're really going to poo poo their pants when china starts putting boeing, airbus, bombardier and embraer out of business

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

ikanreed posted:

What really gets me is this line:

quote:

Western brands like Peet’s Coffee and KFC littered the terminal, with queues of Chinese folks and international tourists alike sucking down localized versions of iced coffee and tea lattes or chomping down on chicken sandwiches that were significantly more flavorful than what I could get at home.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The US is just going to create an environment where it and the vassal states just erect massive protectionist policies to keep china non competitive in their gardens but the global south ends up reaping the benefits from it. So you'll have a two tiered system, the west continues to overpay for its hardware/tools/etc, which makes everything more expensive/ less competitive and the global south is allowed to expand faster for less because of china's efficient industrialization. This makes countries less likely to fall for western predation and just further weakens them, which causes them to be even less competitive.

False. All the USA has to do is capture elites in the global south and make them keep the Chinese out

An Jung-geun
Sep 2, 2022

mila kunis posted:

False. All the USA has to do is capture elites in the global south and make them keep the Chinese out

Brazenly committing genocide in the Global South tends to make that more difficult

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

An Jung-geun posted:

Brazenly committing genocide in the Global South tends to make that more difficult

Jordan and Egypt are right next door to the genocide and continue to be US puppet regimes

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

mila kunis posted:

for how much longer will this still be the case before the US completely loses all of its manufacturing capacity to produce treats for its vassals

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

mila kunis posted:

Jordan and Egypt are right next door to the genocide and continue to be US puppet regimes

The US has to pay Egypt massive "military aids" annually to keep Egypt in the US pocket.

That's the reason the US can't afford to buy other countries. They gave Vietnam pitiful 150 mil last time even though Vietnam was the only country after Philippines they could realistically turn in ASEAN.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 23:28 on May 10, 2024

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I mean, I personally would love it if america's ability to maintain captive states evaporated but after the coup in Pakistan I think they still got it. Never count out touchdown Uncle Sam

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DonghuaJinlong/status/1788914690657312897?t=mTEU1bBAI4AlzwxtgMsf1w&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

mila kunis posted:

I mean, I personally would love it if america's ability to maintain captive states evaporated but after the coup in Pakistan I think they still got it. Never count out touchdown Uncle Sam
i wish al-saqr posted in this thread too