Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

LimburgLimbo posted:

I have it on extremely good authority that Taiwan is part of the PRC

p. sure you have that backwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Real talk: is it true that the government fleeing to Taiwan took the contents of China's museums with them?

I've heard that the best collections of Chinese antiquities are in Taiwan because of this

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

have I imagined that South Korea regularly sends North Korea a cash subsidy?

cheaper than reunification I guess

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

its a kind of private room where you get expensive foreign liquor and hire hot girls to hang out with you and maybe sing karaoke

im like ninety percent sure that rich american assholes do something similar we just dont really have a word for the kind of dedicated business establishment that offers this service

weird as hell

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

As a foreigner 'Hamilton' taught me that americans have zero ability to factually read into their history and reconcile with their past awful founders and have garbage taste in rap.

You had to wait until Hamilton was released to learn that?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

if spending on nuclear weapons is eliminated, that frees up lots of money for chemical and bacteriological weapons

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The west hosed up a whole generation with the boomers

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

another worthwhile korea fact moon jae ins approval rating is now under forty percent for a sense of perspective he is now more widely disliked in south korea than donald trump is in the united states

you will never ever see any english language korea expert comment on this because theyre still huffing farts over how south koreas covid response was the best in the developed world and how this proves that youd have to be crazy to not vote liberal

liberalism really is a mental disease

wasn't moon jae in enormously popular up until recently? why did he squander both his popularity and the opportunity to pass legislation?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

in the immediate sense its just the prosecutor drama imagine if president hillary had tried to can comey and the shitstorm that would have ensued had she insisted this wasnt political payback and also that the real problem wasn't that the fbi was fundamentally corrupt

in the broader sense moon jae in has just been incomprehensibly trying to pander to right wingers to prove that hes everybodys president and not just the one for the people who elected him a move which unsurprisingly is tanking his reputation with the base while just making the right wingers smell weakness

The two step plan of A. abandon your supporters and B. embrace the right fails. Again.

did moon jae fear change too much to use what seemed like a mandate to change society?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

yeah the us has done a good job of testing the effects of fentanyl on army veterans this past decade

:iceburn:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Reality took a while to sneak up on the West: was comparatively pro-Western and Xi played it very low key the first couple years of his tenure. It didn’t help that the Crimean crisis made Russia the “bad guy” for a couple more years on top of that. Hell, Biden still can’t decide which one is the bigger threat and the US pretty much locked itself into a two front war.

Russia has the GDP of portugal (or some other loser country like that). their army is four divisions. Most of mainstream america consider still Russia's power to be undiminished since the cold war ended.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

genericnick posted:

The more I read about the Cold War time the more I get the feeling that the conflict with the USSR was entirely a side show while the main event was preventing Third World development. Makes sense that the USSR going away changed nothing.

preventing third world development is synonymous with international capitalism

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

genericnick posted:

Does getting the Taiwanese cores back unlock some overpowered decisions? Otherwise why bother, the status quo seems to serve everyone involved quite handily.

You need to control Taiwan to enact the "Claim Heaven's Mandate" decision. Pretty cool but not really worth it at that point. New flag though.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

Galaxy Brain: the U.S. should pivot to a pro-North Korean policy to contain China

this is really the best strategic option for both settling the north korea issues and putting an enemy on China's border

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

How can American create such inefficient decision making system for long term city planning? Spend billions on the HSR and then cancel it.

Personally, I blame neoliberalism.

More generally though, in both the political and economic spheres it has become increasingly apparent that we are incapable of any great work or great action. We lack the ability to build for the future. Can you imagine the US in 2021 undertaking and completing any of the great infrastructure or technological feats of the past? Could 2021 US build the Hoover Dam or go to the moon?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

the us has lost the ability to do even halfway efficient military projects as well, so even if you managed to sell something as military spending what would happen is that all the graft and waste means that you'd get something half-assed about a decade late and at ten+ times the original projected cost

this is the point I was trying to make. The systems in the US have reached the point where, as has happened elsewhere and in other times, the amount of inherent graft and incompetence has become unsupportable.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am sure the GOP don't care about the democracy pitch, but what's the percentage of DEM who actually believe this poo poo? How do they explain the unholy alliance with Saudi Arabia? It was Jimmy Carter's idea too.

Is there a word for crusade, but not against another Abrahamic religion, but against a different civilization?

Cuppy Tea was banned for saying the phrase "abrahamic religion," because apparently that phrase is antisemetic

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

That's what theyre called though

CSPAM has many political prisoners.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

iirc, a few years back the liberals won a commanding majority in elections by promising a range of progressive policies. once in power though, the liberals began to sprint to the right as best they could as a way of courting the conservatives.

it is the same stock story of liberal governments

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

this guy loving rules

Is any of this wrong?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

Wolf (Posting) Warrior
https://twitter.com/MFA_China/status/1385802781873696771?s=20

Say what you will about the style, this is great content

there is a legit answer to this: because it is salt water

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Zedhe Khoja posted:

there's been a general reactionary turn in "liberal" spaces across the board. China is the most obvious symptom, but MENA policy, subsaharan African policy, and Latin American policy have all seen an entrenchment of Trump era policy/rhetoric and Obama realpolitik among the so-called left.

Also an "Israel is decolonization actually" take got posted in the I/P thread so that shits broken twitter containment.

all of the bad things were only bad because of Trump. Liberal opposition to trump began and ended with aesthetics, not policy.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

trump was right about COVID's origin?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the cold war program to arm the taliban didn't end until 1994

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mcclay posted:

why….why a japanese pilot

Boomer brain in the 80s and 90s were convinced the japanese would destroy america.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pol. Consultant, Environmental City Board Member, Fmr.FP Advisor to @MeetMckayla/ @jillpcarter, Survivor dylanburnstv@gmail.com | http://twitch.tv/dylanburnstv

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

lurid xinjiang stories

I feel like this can be the title of a book from ancient china

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Why didn't Obama start the war back in 2014? Really wondering about this.

Dems seem late to the party with wanting to start the war now.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Subvisual Haze posted:

I wonder if we'll ever reach the point in my lifetime when mapmakers will no longer draw Crimea as part of Ukraine. I'm guessing no.

We still draw the coast of Louisiana as contiguous so no is the right answer

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Without going into specific, we got enough bulletins that I kind of thought we would be, and because of our Diaspora we’d probably get dragged in before the US. Funnily enough, that same year my shop had an incident with a Ukrainian that may have been a honeypot and someone stabbed a Russian diplomat and was released without charges.

The "why not war in 2014" scenario is proving too intriguing for me not to do a bit of digging. My working theory, based on nothing, is that the existing commitments in Afghanistan and the upcoming 2016 election made selling a war with Russia an unlikely task.

Why didn't the US go to war with Russia in 2014 when Ukraine was actually invaded versus trying to manufacture a war now when Ukraine is not being invaded?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Sinteres posted:

The US isn't going to war even if Russia conquers the entirety of Ukraine today (which isn't happening, just saying even if it did the US wouldn't engage militarily), so I don't get any of this.

I get what you are saying though, and as I was typing my post was thinking of something along the same lines as well. This is a show for the domestic and foreign audiences about how much the USA hates Russia and how Russia Is Bad. Actually going to war isn't why any of this is happening.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

The 2014 Ukrainian Army would fold roughly as fast as the ANA, before any US forces could redeploy. I mean, even now, all the Javs in the world won’t save them, so imagine how a 2014 offensive would have gone.

That would put the human and materiel cost on the US to reverse it and late presidency Obama was not going to do that.

And I think he had already publicly (at least in a Reddit AMA) claimed the decision to carry on with the war in Afghanistan as the most difficult decision he made in his second term. He was really optimistic about success and the strength of the ANA .

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

bloo bloo bloo it's so hard to back out of my promises

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I don't think I'd find another war all that funny. probably not going to be a war though. if you want war there is already one going in Yemen

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

synapse posted:

The neonazis won 0 out of 435 seats in the 2008 United States Election and in that same vote a black man was voted in as President. Safe to say white supremacy is dead in America.

And that black man's name was Albert Einstein

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mcclay posted:

This dude saw the red and black flags of the OUN and thought they were anarcho-syndie flags lmao. love 2 support azov battalion

well, in his defense, it is a mistake people make all the time in the USA

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

OhFunny posted:

The US media is going to tear Biden apart if he "loses" this showdown with Russia. The screeching over the withdrawal from Afghanistan was bad. I have to imagine screeching over this will be louder.

I didn't think his numbers would get much lower before November and yet here we are.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i went over to check out how D&D is handling the news and... oh dear

https://files.catbox.moe/lutdr5.mp4

oof. they are leaning into the Nazi aesthetic so hard it is almost parody

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Majorian posted:

Yeah it was kind of loving dickish for us to promise Ukraine NATO membership when we knew we couldn't possibly keep that promise and were actually just hanging a target on Ukraine's back.

It's almost like we Wimp Lo-ed Ukraine.

I don't quite know how they did it but Biden and his team managed to thread the needle and make the worst choices at every phase of the process. Biden was hoping for a polls boost from his handling of the conflict and instead managed to look really bad. Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Fortaleza posted:

I want to know how american evangelism plays into this, let's dive a little deeper into that

The war in Iraq was pitched as the battle against Gog and Magog.

Russia though? Antichrist perhaps.