Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Al-Saqr posted:

Seeing American/Australian/UK media really hyping up a cold war and going full blast against china really underscores how actually dangerous anglo-saxon countries are, that you can essentially do nothing to them, you can play by their rules, but they will always somehow come up with ghost stories and work themselves up into a frenzy to attack you based off of something they made up in their own heads and when they do attack you they've already established a narrative of self defense on it based on nothing. it happens every loving time in history.

Them + Israel are easily the most dangerous and thus worst countries in the world.

Just can't stop themselves from being violent against others for no goddamn reason.*

*except actually the reason is because it'll make them (aka those running those countries) money. Which is somehow worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

indigi posted:

lmao isn’t the Phillipines very Catholic

Possibly more Catholic than Vatican City, yes.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

crepeface posted:

imagine if western governments could plan 5 years in advance

I loving love 5 years plans to be honest, especially when you are just meeting or exceeding goal after goal after goal and not even doing the kind of fuckery Western governments use (don't meet target? that's ok, just adjust the target until you do) to do it.

It makes human progress almost tangible.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 11:09 on Nov 1, 2021

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Other than the most credulous motherfuckers on the planet (aka journalists), is anyone at all under the impression that anything meaningful will be decided in Glasgow?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

at this point politicians looking at legal sources of ladies with big boobs should be given a medal considering what they could be doing instead with people like Epstein

All those ladies appear to be adults and posting those pictures of their own volition. He's in the absolute top tier of politicians here.

Also re: Xi @ COP26

China has some seriously heavy duty anti-corona measures. Like say, mandatory 3 week quarantines for everyone entering the country. As in everyone. Including the President. Who felt that maybe spending three weeks in quarantine wasn't the most effective way he could be leading his country during a global pandemic. So he did video messages. To a climate summit. Instead of flying to the other side of the planet.

What a horrible leader Xi is.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 17:38 on Nov 3, 2021

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

I hope they get up to Quad-4

Quad damage is important but so is the red armour and the megahealth.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The Chinese people might be alive, but they don't know freedom like the corpses of my family members do!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Atopian posted:

Let's be clear, China's motivations re: foreign development and investment are very unlikely to be altruistic.

That they are better than the US's current offer is obvious, though.

They explicitly are not altruistic. As in China literally said it is only making mutually beneficial investments.

Much better than the US though.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

the criticism of the targets only makes sense if you don't understand that china deliberately sets chronological goals with the intention of delivering ahead of schedule. underpromising and overperforming is the norm, so you can mentally subtract at least a few years off both of those, maybe more since they're so high-profile

This is also excellent advice for your career by the way. Always try to negotiate down what is expected of you so that you can easily deliver ahead of schedule. It’s called expectations management or whatever and will make your job a lot less stressful and also make you much more likely to be noticed for promotion.*

*May only apply if you are a white male in a comfortable middle class or better job.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Is the complaint here that it is harder for the CIA to bribe people?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Palladium posted:

If I'm the CIA guy in charge I would just embezzle the bribe cash while claiming the target didn't honor their side of deal

Continually

I would do this and then also make up a syndrome so I get enough free time to spend all that money.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

What?

Is the claim here that China is practicing how to take out a carrier... in the desert?

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

I like your style, do you have a name for that syndrome?

Not yet, but I think we should make it sound foreign and threatening, maybe bring back some of the cold war greatest hits?

I'll think on it while having another beer.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Nov 10, 2021

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's not unreasonable to put down a carrier-shaped tarp in the middle of a desert, and then have dudes fly over it, so they can practice trying to visually identify something of the same silhouette from that high up

Oh like that. Ok that makes sense. I thought the go-to carrier killing moves were subs and ASBMs though. Not so sure how much aerial silhouette identification you need for those.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Eh she's right. When is a boat ever going to be in -100 Fahrenheit degree water. Or even cold water at all what with global warming? I'm sure this will all be fine.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Correction, droner-in-chief.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

Vietnam...a lifetime bitch

Lifetime bitch or... holder of the triple crown of beating three UN-security-council-permanent-member-nuclear-powers in succession? And then getting rid of US-supported Pol Pot for good measure.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Sabotaging the US sub-fleet is good, actually. So perhaps the best generation?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol the d&d thread has become amazingly stupid

Sorry.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

I’m sorry what’s wrong with tutoring kids outside of school especially in countries where your grades will define your life it’s normal to do this

Who can afford tutors?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Peter Daou Zen posted:

at that age your interests should be improving the People's wellbeing, not plowing the fields of 20 somethings.

What if he was just really into tennis though?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

hot witch divorcee posted:

of course there are going to be people squirreling around the rules but china isn't america, they don't just turn a blind eye to it and say "guess it can't be helped"

probably a lot of english teachers will be hired on to public schools, some will take side gigs for rich assholes' children, if/when that becomes a problem, that will be clamped down on. work will continue on solving the primary contradictions that create this kind of hysteria and inequality in the first place.

The primary contradiction here being massive inequality.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Theirs is less. Tories only willing to lay track over the bodies of the working class.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Nov 18, 2021

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

HerraS posted:

Not for a lack of trying in Castro's case

You come at Castro you're at risk of getting pregnant.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

"What could the US government and the CIA possibly stand to gain from spotlighting and wildly making poo poo up about a tennis player?", I ask as US population willingness to go to goddamn war with a nuclear power doubles within 7 years and jumps a full 12 percentage points in 6 goddamn months.

I am very smart and media savvy, obviously.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

DiscountDildos posted:

In 2004 I was a sophomore in high school in bumfuck USA and one day in my physical science class we had a new kid who our teacher introduced as "Ilya whose family just moved to America from Communist Russia this year." Then he proceeded to ask him to tell us an anecdote about how lovely Russia was. He just said something like "the food is better here" iirc. He was a quiet dude.

That was the first thing I thought about when I heard the word "communism" until I was like 20 lmao

You had a time traveler in your class and this is the story we get?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

wouldnt a lot of the people in their chinatown be taiwanese that seems like an odd move to make if your concern is the communist thirst for world domination rather than just boring old racism

May I remind you how racist Australian media is?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

They came for golfers. Golfers.

I did not speak out, for I was not a golfer.

And also gently caress golf.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Sounds accurate. The people I see at Wal Mart are often revolting.

I used to be a communist but then I tasted Coca-Cola(tm)!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Or how about all the South Asians worked to death to build that Formula 1 race track?

My dude have you heard of the FIFA World Cup 2022?

For real though, whichever poster was saying before that it appears to be more important for western liberals that sexual assault victims can air accusations on social media than anything actually being done, like say perpetrators facing justice, seems to have been correct. Just the outright indignation at Peng Shuai's social media posts being deleted (or having deleted them herself) contrasted with political support for rapist politicians and being utterly oblivious to this disconnect is disturbing to say the least.

As if the ultimate goal of feminism is being able to launch a hashtag on twitter.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 14:26 on Dec 2, 2021

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The only thing the US manufactures is weapons, there is no way they're ever going to let that industry go.

Maybe they could transition to something else like I dunno, plows or something?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Portugal is Eastern European so this checks out.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/MPhillipsWSJ/status/1467558955794771970

claiming the western coast of sub-Saharan Africa as being "opposite the US East Coast" seems a bit of a stretch :thunk:

I mean by this logic the literal coast of China is "opposite the US West Coast" and presumably already has Chinese warships rearming and refitting. Unless there's some special rule that the international date line nullifies all military action and not just the F35.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Is this the same Tapper who masturbated to American weapons live on air when Trump bombed some shrubs in Syria?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Is he the guy who pretended his DoD organized guided helicopter tour got shot at?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Applying American excess mortality rates to China does not tell you how many people died from Covid in China but does give us a clearer picture of how many lives Xi Jinping has saved.

So do we substract these from the victims of communism? No? Just keep adding? Ok then.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

THS2 posted:

the american century wasn't even a century. 1945-202? RIP

Eh, they got closer than the thousand year reich.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Rutibex posted:

the EU is basically the third reich so i donno about that one

Uhmm... no?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The dignified rape of Nanjing.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah it's really surprising how many people enter into poli sci and econ with ideological barriers already up that refuse to interact with ideas they hate. Especially econ, econ is the worst for this

There's really been just an absolute death of debate in the West as liberalism gained more power. There's a whole bunch of subjects you just can't get people to actually discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Doctor Jeep posted:

I just have to ask - what's up with your title/avatar

I tried to talk about Xinjiang and Uyghur's in the D&D China thread and my positions were uhh... not very appreciated? I'd summarize them for you here but I'm on my phone and I feel like the nuances are rather important given the topic so if you care it'd be easier to just read my posts in that thread. It was fairly recent.