Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

THS
Sep 15, 2017

shrike is very smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

reposting this cause i realized it was probably more applicable here

lol today Jacobin published an interview about xinjiang with a spook, sean roberts, who has worked extensively with USAID and now writes for radio free europe and radio free asia

how does this keep happening??

THS
Sep 15, 2017

that jacobin article with the USAID interview had a massive amount of pushback in the facebook comments... and a ton of people complaining about the tankie army appearing. but seeing a lot of people make fun of the USAID connections and giving jacobin poo poo was better than nothing. i know there’s no way to draw conclusions from internet comments, but i hope that pointing out how egregiously bad the propaganda is, is having some positive effect

THS
Sep 15, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i'm going to build the sausage factory of funk, rock, jazz and electronic dance music to provide a boogie-down backdrop for a radical (and witty) political message

https://files.catbox.moe/1ugg61.mp4

lol

THS
Sep 15, 2017

that is some genuinely psycho poo poo lmao good god

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i hope it falls and hits hillary clinton

THS
Sep 15, 2017

kissinger probably has another ten years in him somehow

THS
Sep 15, 2017

theres a reason hunter thompson labelled the guy a Nazi Monster

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Rutibex posted:

It's not as lopsided as you think, the English empire is just more diffuse

1. English
1.132 billion total speakers

2. Mandarin Chinese
1.117 billion total speakers

counting the us, uk, and australia might be fair in this context, but the rest of english speakers only speak english because of our economic dominance. liking hollywood movies isnt going to paper over that relatively decreasing reality. china also has centralized control and serious nationalism. “english speakers” are nothing comparable

and yeah the amount of spanish speakers doesnt make spain all powerful

THS
Sep 15, 2017

how can non americans be convinced that this place is a crumbling pathetic nation full of homeless camps, medical debt, mass imprisonment, mass shootings, and a deeply unhealthy neurotic “culture” resulting in 20% of the population taking psychiatric drugs just so they dont jump off a bridge or have constant panic attacks

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Hedenius posted:

My wife and kids were in China at the time and and we have friends who live in Wuhan so I was hate-reading those threads and getting especially annoyed at the amount of people who took Prester Jane seriously.

what the gently caress hahahahahahahahahahaha

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, most of those posters are still in the COVID thread.

I never actually spent time on BnR is it as lame as it sounds?

every offsite is worse than this place by miles

cspam reaches a critical mass of people where at least there are multiple cliques and its too big to effectively manage the discourse. its not good when there is one clique and they are also the mods

THS
Sep 15, 2017

yeah grillpilled is one of the core concepts of Matt Christman Thought. it has been incorrectly characterized as completely checking out of politics, more accurately it’s trying to distance your head from the constant swirling useless nether of twitter discourse, because that breaks most people’s brains

one proposal is that no one should be allowed in online discussion except for a class of posting mentats who do the posting for us and we stay out of it. e.g. a bunch of matt bruenig type brains bear the burden of discourse

it’s mostly intended as a goof, of course that’s not realistic, but it’s a warning to not let this stuff cause your brain to turn to slurry. it came out of the beginning of covid as a reaction to the race to see how far everyone could drive eachother into being a non-functioning hyperventilating wreck

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Flavahbeast posted:

so why not just let the UN visit some villages and do some interviews lol, seems like an easy win if everything's sunny in Xinjiang

also that rockefeller center statue wasn't made by a white lady, you can see the artist in the foreground

the UN has visited. also you can visit too. xinjiang isn't some off limits area to you, if you have the means. it's not north korea

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Flavahbeast posted:

then whats even the point of this: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/29/un-in-talks-with-china-over-no-restrictions-visit-to-xinjiang, what are those guys negotiating for if they could just hop on a plane and get at it?

what do you think is going on in xinjiang, honored elder "Flavahbeast"

THS
Sep 15, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdHnMYUPh6s

THS
Sep 15, 2017

ahahahahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

China's right