Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I haven't watched the finale yet, but yeah, I'm gonna say that this season is about as mediocre as Season 2 was... And for many of the same reasons. Chiefly, it got way too drat bogged down in world-building stuff that still hasn't become entirely relevant to the main plot yet. And the big, climactic fights of the end of the season either seemed really disjointed and slapped together, or wound up being really anti-climactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Whatever your opinion on a Blake and Yang romance, that reunion was incredibly anti-climatic and didn't remotely do either character justice.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

GodFish posted:

Whatever your opinion on a Blake and Yang romance, that reunion was incredibly anti-climatic and didn't remotely do either character justice.

Other than them being in the same room with one another there wasn’t really any reunion. And romance or not there was definitely tension that needed to be dealt with. After having Blake doing her own little Blake and Sun show for so long they really needed to put some of that resolution with both Yang and her team in this season after making everyone wait so long - it won’t have as much impact putting it off until next season since now we k now she’s back. They missed the opportunity.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does the show still do that thing where they want to do something cool and very shounen but they don't have the time for any setup so it just happens? The example someone last thread gave was something like

Regular show: Two characters edgy and do not get on > circumstances force them to work together > gradual build-up of trust and/or revelation of backstories > end-of-arc insanely badass payoff > closer friends

But RWBY just cares about the insanely badass finale so they go: Two characters do not get on > Forced to work together > Almost instant-payoff > best buddies

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I don't think it happened character moment wise but every fight except Weiss' grimm fight, the maiden fight and Yang beating up scrubs was basically that, yeah. "Oh people are getting worn down from fighting to make it more tense" > "everyone exchanges a blow then acts tired and worn out"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
RT only has enough resources and talent to make maiden fights anywhere near Monty level, and they still fall massively short.

I miss Neo and Torchwick. :(

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Wait, I haven't watched since 3. Was Neo's send-off seriously just drifting away on an umbrella and never returning?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yup, she’s been a no-show ever since. And it’s probably equal odds that she makes a surprise reappearance... or wound up getting devoured by a Grimm in midair offscreen because her panicking was practically lighting a flare for them.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
She came back in chibi and was adorable and awesome.

Chibi is great

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Chibi probably has more actual talking between characters (if you remove exposition from rwby)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I still don't think Blake and Ruby have said anything to each other since volume 1

• Locked thread