Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Gifts now purchased and will be posted tomorrow :patriot:
edit: and sent!

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
I have also got my gifts going. Now to sit and worry about them getting to their destination ok...

USMC_Karl fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 5, 2017

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I just posted my gift, and I had to get the priority mail which was expensive and a pain in the neck because you have to write out your address and the recipient's three times, ugh. I should have done it earlier. Thanks for everyone posting that they have sent their package, and if you have, please let me know.

Franchescanado posted:

Santaman came to town early!

Looks like a fun urban noir horror, a character driven literary novel, and a literary mystery! Can't wait to dig in. The Devil You Know seems like a fun book to read over the holidays.

Thanks to my Santa! Lots of love!

My Santee should expect theirs soon.

Wow, someone was organised. Step up and take a bow, Santa! I hope you enjoy The Devil You Know - it's a really good urban fantasy/mystery. Mike Carey wrote a stint on HELLBLAZER, and it shows.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 5, 2017

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mike Carey is awesome and brought Constantine back to his roots in a really compelling way. He also was good enough to post with us on a fan forum during his run. Now I want to read that book

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Santaman came to town early!

Looks like a fun urban noir horror, a character driven literary novel, and a literary mystery! Can't wait to dig in. The Devil You Know seems like a fun book to read over the holidays.

Thanks to my Santa! Lots of love!

My Santee should expect theirs soon.

I'm glad you liked them. :) There's one more arriving shortly!

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
I got a nice letter, three books, and a picture of a baby girl! Thank you, Santa!

https://imgur.com/a/Gh1Ok

(linked here because the pictures are massive on this MB).

I actually read Second Foundation and Foundation's Edge years ago. Probably not a good plan. I found the Second Foundation easier to read though, imo.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Pleiades posted:

I got a nice letter, three books, and a picture of a baby girl! Thank you, Santa!

I actually read Second Foundation and Foundation's Edge years ago. Probably not a good plan. I found the Second Foundation easier to read though, imo.

Very cool, I didn't think about sending a letter or anything. I was thinking I'd contact the person I gave gifts to after the gifts were received and explain why I chose them. Dammit, why didn't I think about writing a letter :smith:

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013
That's mine in the post! It's in two parts because insanely that was cheaper than if I put it all in the one box :confused:

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011

Pleiades posted:

I, uh, didn't know that picture was in the book. Oops! Hope you enjoy your gifts!

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Sent my package today, I hope my santee likes it. :)

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Sent my package, and some e-books as well! Christmas is coming!!!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
And moments after posting that, I got a call from the post office! Santa came!

Pretty wrapping paper and a card! I am sorry to my giftee now, as there was no wrapping at all. drat.

The awesome 3D card!

The books!

They both sound awesome, thanks so much Santa! I have a friend in Kaohsiung and have been down there a few times and love it, so I’m super excited to read the Taiwanese book. The essays also sound really interesting! I need to finish my current book ASAP and crack into these. Thanks so much SafetyBiscuits!!!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I hope you like them!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

:neckbeard:

TheBoat
Aug 25, 2017
I will be sending my Santa's gifts tomorrow!

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Santa came early this year! I got to my in-laws' place to find a hardback English book and was confused for a bit (my in-laws are Korean and don't read a lick of English). Then, my mother-in-law explained that it was mine! So, hey, Santa, thanks!

Really the perfect gift because, while it's a book that sounded really interesting, it is a book that I'd never buy for myself. So, really and truly thanks!

Since my mother-in-law threw the box away before I got a chance to see who sent it, I can't thank you by name. Still, she told me you live in Daegu, so hey, if you ever make it up to Seoul let's hang out!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I'm glad to see Christmas cheer arriving everywhere!

Yesterday was the deadline for posting presents. If you haven't told me you've posted your present, please do. As long as it gets there by Christmas, it's fine, of course - just please let me know so I don't worry about it! Thanks.

TheBoat
Aug 25, 2017
Just sent the gifts out! My Santa should expect them by Thursday.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

USMC_Karl posted:

Santa came early this year! I got to my in-laws' place to find a hardback English book and was confused for a bit (my in-laws are Korean and don't read a lick of English). Then, my mother-in-law explained that it was mine! So, hey, Santa, thanks!

Really the perfect gift because, while it's a book that sounded really interesting, it is a book that I'd never buy for myself. So, really and truly thanks!

Since my mother-in-law threw the box away before I got a chance to see who sent it, I can't thank you by name. Still, she told me you live in Daegu, so hey, if you ever make it up to Seoul let's hang out!

Glad it got there safely! There should be some more coming electronically today or tomorrow, whenever Amazon gets their stuff together!

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

cryptoclastic posted:

Glad it got there safely! There should be some more coming electronically today or tomorrow, whenever Amazon gets their stuff together!

And just as you write that. No way! Man, you are the best secret santa gift giver. Another book that I wanted to read but would never buy for myself, Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain, and a total unknown book that sounds very interesting indeed, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. I'll be sure to read these ASAP and post back here with my impressions, but I honestly couldn't be happier with the gifts that I've received. This was my first year doing BBSS and it was a total blast, will definitely be taking part in the future.

Thanks a lot for the thought you put into these gifts. I mean, two of them were on my "want to read" list, but they were buried way back there and you had to go rooting around to find them. Not only that, but they are definitely a little different from my normal reading tastes, which makes getting them as a gift even better. I'll restate my offer, if you ever make it up to Seoul let me know. I'd be happy to buy you a drink and a meal as a thank you.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My present just got delivered, thanks, Santa!

These all look great, and I'm looking forward to getting into that Vonnegut especially!

My gift will be going out this week. Waiting for them to be delivered to my place. Promise they'll arrive before Christmas!

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Megabound posted:

My present just got delivered, thanks, Santa!

These all look great, and I'm looking forward to getting into that Vonnegut especially!

My gift will be going out this week. Waiting for them to be delivered to my place. Promise they'll arrive before Christmas!

Nice! Let me give you a little reasoning why I got you each of those books.

1) Zorba, you mentioned that you like discussion and allegory and, while Zorba doesn't specifically have much religious stuff, it is an amazingly fun book where the main character is constantly talking with, and learning from, Zorba. It was a book that was pretty ok for the first 1/2, fun for the third quarter, and ended in an absolutely amazing way. Honestly one of the better books I've ever read. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

2) The Vonnegut book was a choice because it is one of my favorites and you hadn't read it yet. You had a couple other Vonnegut books on your read list, so I figured it would be a safe choice for you.

3) The Green Mile is one of my absolute favorite Stephen King books and, aside from having that little supernatural twist that King likes to put on all of his stories, is really just a story about morality.

I really hope you enjoy all of them because all three of those books are 5 star books imo.

*edit* Also, sorry for not getting you hardbacks. All of those were either unavailable in hardback or had a little note saying that a hardback order would require an indeterminate amount of extra time, so I opted for the paperbacks.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer.

OHHH!! This is a good one! Beautifully written.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Santa came with some great looking books from New Zealand. These look really good, I'm looking forward to digging in! :)

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
Woo! Hope you enjoy them. Two more Kiwi books are still on their way to you from the looks of it, I went a bit overboard out of general homesickness. :shobon:

TheBoat
Aug 25, 2017
My gifts have arrived at home my wife decided to send me picture, and I am beyond excited to see what I got. Will update later

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
My last book came in days ago, but I was so busy, I forgot to take a pic and say thank you. In addition to the three novels I received, I was also gifted

This book has been on my eye for quite a while. Thanks very much to Pleiades for a fun science book!

TheBoat
Aug 25, 2017
(Image is wayyyyyyyyy too big)

But I got The left hand of darnkess and the dispossessed by Ursula K. Le guin. Starfire by Charles Sheffield and a Canticle for Leibowitz By walter Miller Jr.
Santa came through! I am so excited. I have heard positive thing about Ursula K. Le Guin the other 2 sound amazing as well. Thanks BillRubin! Merry Christmas everyone. Now just to lurk and hope my Giftee enjoys there's...

TheBoat fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 13, 2017

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

TheBoat posted:

(Image is wayyyyyyyyy too big)

But I got The left hand of darnkess and the dispossessed by Ursula K. Le guin. Starfire by Charles Sheffield and a Canticle for Leibowitz By walter Miller Jr.
Santa came through! I am so excited. I have heard positive thing about Ursula K. Le Guin the other 2 sound amazing as well. Thanks BillRubin! Merry Christmas everyone. Now just to lurk and hope my Giftee enjoys there's...

:neckbeard:

As someone fairly new to sci fi you needed a few of the classics. The Sheffield is a tragically underappreciated hard sci-fi writer (a former physicist) who can also write characters. :rip:

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

The Sheffield is a tragically underappreciated hard sci-fi writer (a former physicist) who can also write characters. :rip:

Oh really? I'll look into that book myself, then. Always on the lookout for new authors.

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011
Books came!

https://imgur.com/a/CA5j1

Thanks TheBoat! I love all these, especially the giant size Nietzsche! Where did you even find those?

TheBoat
Aug 25, 2017

TheManFromFOXHOUND posted:

Books came!

https://imgur.com/a/CA5j1

Thanks TheBoat! I love all these, especially the giant size Nietzsche! Where did you even find those?

Amazon's finest has them. When I opened them I was shocked at the size aha. I wanted to get "The Gay Science" with them too but it was not in the same format.

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013
To my Secret Santa person - I'm pretty sure your package has turned up at my house but I've not had a chance to open it as I've hardly been home this week. I finish up work next week so will definitely have time to open then 😊

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

The last two books from my santa arrived! :) I just watched the Janet Frame biopic, so I'm looking forward to reading owls do cry. All in all, I've got over 2000 pages with New Zealand literature to go through. :) I'm excited about The Luminaries as well, I remember wanting to get that one when it came out.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
Woo! I'm glad they made it there safely, and hope you enjoy. :3:

I got the 'you weren't home' card from Royal Mail about a week ago and thought it was something else (something boring) so had been lazy about going to pick it up from the depot. Ventured out in the rain this morning and was very chuffed to be handed two exciting parcels from Santa (a.k.a. nefarias bredd!). :dance:

Parcel 1:

Not the End of the World by Kate Atkinson, Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta and Hogfather by Terry Pratchett, plus bonus Death-as-Hogfather mug, Yorkshire tea, shortbread bites and chocolate coins.

Parcel 2:

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks and the Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, plus a lovely card from Santa and a Granny Weatherwax style bookmark.

Absolutely made my day, can't wait to get into these fantastic-looking books, and I love all the little extras. Thank you so much nefarias bredd! :)

Also, Molly says thanks for the boxes:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I have learned that UPS delivered a thing from a place further south than I might have expected. Counting the minutes until I can Fred Flintstone down my dinosaur's back!

edit:

Franchescanado you really outdid yourself! As I had said upthread I was getting into horror and this is an amazing collection of classics and to be classics--none of which I have ever read. In fact, I think I have only read a handful of King--one was the Gunslinger, which is its own thing. Only Gaimen I have read were guest spots he wrote on Hellblazer, which I really liked, so I'm not sure why I've never read one of his books. He's even a friend of a friend so vOv And Clive Barker I have known of since high school (a loooooong time ago), when I was in a gaming group with RPG developer (and D&D artist) Jeff Dee, and in a campaign of the 007 game I ran he picked Clive Barker as his name literally off a shelf behind him. I had a custom drawn character marker by the name for years since but it seems I finally got rid of it.

These are all outstanding and great (collector's card/bookmark included), and the Pez was inspired. Last year my wife got a pez dispenser for me when I admitted to never having had one before. :neckbeard:

Merry Christmas!

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 19, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

I have learned that UPS delivered a thing from a place further south than I might have expected. Counting the minutes until I can Fred Flintstone down my dinosaur's back!

edit:

Franchescanado you really outdid yourself! As I had said upthread I was getting into horror and this is an amazing collection of classics and to be classics--none of which I have ever read. In fact, I think I have only read a handful of King--one was the Gunslinger, which is its own thing. Only Gaimen I have read were guest spots he wrote on Hellblazer, which I really liked, so I'm not sure why I've never read one of his books. He's even a friend of a friend so vOv And Clive Barker I have known of since high school (a loooooong time ago), when I was in a gaming group with RPG developer (and D&D artist) Jeff Dee, and in a campaign of the 007 game I ran he picked Clive Barker as his name literally off a shelf behind him. I had a custom drawn character marker by the name for years since but it seems I finally got rid of it.

These are all outstanding and great (collector's card/bookmark included), and the Pez was inspired. Last year my wife got a pez dispenser for me when I admitted to never having had one before. :neckbeard:

Merry Christmas!

Glad you like them! The main genre fic I read outside of Literature is horror, so I was happy to share some stuff with you! Let me know what you think of them whenever you get around to them!

:ssh: There are more collectible cards in the other horror books!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Cool, will go card hunting in a bit.

You were well matched with me; thanks Safety Biscuit!

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013

Chocolate Milk posted:

Woo! I'm glad they made it there safely, and hope you enjoy. :3:

I got the 'you weren't home' card from Royal Mail about a week ago and thought it was something else (something boring) so had been lazy about going to pick it up from the depot. Ventured out in the rain this morning and was very chuffed to be handed two exciting parcels from Santa (a.k.a. nefarias bredd!). :dance:

Parcel 1:

Not the End of the World by Kate Atkinson, Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta and Hogfather by Terry Pratchett, plus bonus Death-as-Hogfather mug, Yorkshire tea, shortbread bites and chocolate coins.

Parcel 2:

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks and the Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, plus a lovely card from Santa and a Granny Weatherwax style bookmark.

Absolutely made my day, can't wait to get into these fantastic-looking books, and I love all the little extras. Thank you so much nefarias bredd! :)

Also, Molly says thanks for the boxes:

I'm so glad you like it! I had tons of fun picking out books, hardest part was narrowing it down! I hope you enjoy them all. They're all ones I've loved over the past year or two.

Also your cat is absolutely adorable. Glad she appreciated the box 😊

Also to my Santa - life should hopefully calm down by the end of the week and I'll be able to actually spend some time at home that doesn't involve sleeping. Thanks for being a patient sort 😊

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Some sort of anti-book squad attempted to sabatage my gift!

Luckily everything is fine inside.

2 books I've not heard of before but I'm looking forward to getting into them next year.
Also delicious chocolate and a lovely postcard for my collection.

Thanks Military Cervex!