Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm in! I had a fun time last year, and I'm even more financially stable this year.

This is my GoodReads shelves. If a book is on that list, that means I own it. It's up-to-date and everything.

Amazon Book Wishlist and kindle list, and a poetry list. I own all the Thomas Pynchon books on the kindle list, they're just there so I can (eventually) have kindle versions as well. I'd prefer to get physical books for this, though.

I like post-modern lit, classics, and modern literature. If it gets discussed in the Literature Thread, I'll probably dig it. I also really enjoy horror and mysteries (especially detective fiction). I also really like short story and/or poetry collections and anthologies. Not a huge sci-fi fan and I don't like fantasy or romance. I'm open to anything new; I've been in a reading rut all year and I'd like to energize my reading habits somehow. I like weird, unusual, surreal, absurd, etc. I can totally read hosed up books and depressing books.

I also like non-fiction books that explore literary theory, mythologies, etc. I also like non-fiction books that explore art, the weird side of history, the weird side of culture (like Jon Ronson), etc.

Authors I like: Thomas Pynchon, Etgar Keret, Orhan Pamuk, Richard Farina, the Beats, Stephen King, John Irving, Vonnegut, Flannery O' Conner, Nabakov, George Saunders, Jon Ronson, DFW...

Favorite books: Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon, Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me by Richard Farina, A Prayer for Owen Meany by Irving, Pale Fire by Nabakov, Lincoln in the Bardo by Saunders, Complete Short Stories of Flannery O'Conner,

Also, I'm a US Goon.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Santaman came to town early!

Looks like a fun urban noir horror, a character driven literary novel, and a literary mystery! Can't wait to dig in. The Devil You Know seems like a fun book to read over the holidays.

Thanks to my Santa! Lots of love!

My Santee should expect theirs soon.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My last book came in days ago, but I was so busy, I forgot to take a pic and say thank you. In addition to the three novels I received, I was also gifted

This book has been on my eye for quite a while. Thanks very much to Pleiades for a fun science book!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

I have learned that UPS delivered a thing from a place further south than I might have expected. Counting the minutes until I can Fred Flintstone down my dinosaur's back!

edit:

Franchescanado you really outdid yourself! As I had said upthread I was getting into horror and this is an amazing collection of classics and to be classics--none of which I have ever read. In fact, I think I have only read a handful of King--one was the Gunslinger, which is its own thing. Only Gaimen I have read were guest spots he wrote on Hellblazer, which I really liked, so I'm not sure why I've never read one of his books. He's even a friend of a friend so vOv And Clive Barker I have known of since high school (a loooooong time ago), when I was in a gaming group with RPG developer (and D&D artist) Jeff Dee, and in a campaign of the 007 game I ran he picked Clive Barker as his name literally off a shelf behind him. I had a custom drawn character marker by the name for years since but it seems I finally got rid of it.

These are all outstanding and great (collector's card/bookmark included), and the Pez was inspired. Last year my wife got a pez dispenser for me when I admitted to never having had one before. :neckbeard:

Merry Christmas!

Glad you like them! The main genre fic I read outside of Literature is horror, so I was happy to share some stuff with you! Let me know what you think of them whenever you get around to them!

:ssh: There are more collectible cards in the other horror books!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Vegetarian is so drat good. I haven't seen that edition, but it's beautiful and I like it more than my copy. Be sure to check out the BotM thread from a year ago after you read it, it was one of the best book threads of the year (in my opinion).